old style fuel sender/ tank

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
tirediron
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

old style fuel sender/ tank

Postby tirediron » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:07 pm

one of my race cars the previous owner swapped in a old style fuel tank and sender assembly. car is a '92 but I think the tank is from a cis car? it has the vertical aluminum pump and the rubber bootie holding it in.

been having some random power loss issues and I figured I would inspect the pump and pickup. could someone give me a crash course on whats going on inside there? there seems to be more wires and hoses than makes sense. almost like what you see on a saddle tank setup on some other cars.

my other cars have fuel cells, but I would like to keep the stock tank in this one. this setup needs to be simplified though. I need no fuel gauge or anything else but a power and ground to the pump.
-matt

tirediron

Re: old style fuel sender/ tank

Postby tirediron » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:39 pm

alright, I figured out the setup myself. bunch of extra parts in the bottom of the tank was throwing me off.
I am assuming that thing with the 2 extra wires on the sender is a lift pump? would that cause a starvation of fuel occasionally if it ceases to work? and can I just eliminate it and run a pickup tube to the bottom of the tank?
-matt

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:45 pm

Matt, that's right. A bad prepump will cause fuel starvation. Older cars didn't have the prepump and had a filtered pickup that sat against the bottom of the tank, sometimes in a plastic "boat" that helped channel return fuel to the pickup.

I like the prepump system as I can generally run minimal fuel in the tank without starvation.

John

tirediron

Postby tirediron » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:55 pm

I took the lift pump and canister out, used a pickup screen and extended that to the bottom of the tank. I intend on never running under a half tank so I think ill be ok as far as airation due to fuel slosh. I feel like eliminating failure points is more important In my situation.

car runs fine, ill see how it goes. thanks.
-matt

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”