Rebuilding/ resealing a c900 steering rack. DIYable?

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
happyandy
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Rebuilding/ resealing a c900 steering rack. DIYable?

Postby happyandy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:46 pm

I've been away a long, long time, but the time has come to get my c900t back up and running.

The first big thing on my hit list is addressing the steering rack leak. It's had an on and off leak from the boots as long as I've owned it.

Today I began the process of getting it road worthy again after years of storage. It went really well except for the fact that it pissed all its steering fluid in the first five minutes of idling in the driveway.

Since it's been an intermittent problem in the past, I'd like to think it only needs seals on the rack gear.

Is this something that I can do without special tools or equipment? Rockauto does have seal kits listed, and I work with hydraulics professionally, so I suspect it's worth trying.

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Rebuilding/ resealing a c900 steering rack. DIYable?

Postby hutch » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:11 pm

I've never attempted it so take it with my usual truckload of salt... however my guess is its probably not terribly physically demanding but may take doing a few times to get perfect, which is a pain given how difficult it is to remove the rack with the engine still in the car. I'd be real tempted to splurge for a rebuilt one, however you sound like you know what you're doing so it may be a good project. Here is a thread with some pictures of the basic process, doesn't look too terrible but certainly not fun

http://www.saablink.net/forum/general-c ... /67465.htm

Krizzie
Nickname: Kris
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby Krizzie » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:23 am

It's not hard to remove the rack with the engine in.. On a lift you have it out in no time at all. On jackstands it's also doable but you will feel it the next morning. :lol:
My ride: MY91 Saab 900 Aero T5.5 Converted, 9000 Aero interior, Xenon projectors and many more mods/upgrades

Buttercup
Nickname: Buttercup
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Buttercup » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:31 pm

Krizzie wrote:It's not hard to remove the rack with the engine in.. On a lift you have it out in no time at all. On jackstands it's also doable but you will feel it the next morning. :lol:

I did it on my '85 C900 by myself when my husband was out of town. Way long ago in 1991. I only had jackstands, no lift. The whole process wasn't hard or memorable EXCEPT for the part where I had to lay under the car and get it back into place. My cat was trying to "help" and I had a miserable time. I'm pretty weak so if I can do it probably anybody can.

The replacement seals, boots, and all lasted a little over 10 years before it started leaking again. Original was leaking at 5 years, OTOH, so I musta done it right and my original rack musta been sitting on a shelf a while before installed in the '85 new.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”