New Hill climb motor for "RED"

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Re: New Hill climb motor for "RED"

Postby 99Super » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:35 pm

Can't wait to see some dyno numbers!

Good luck this season!

John

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:00 pm

Nice job getting it all back together. I assume by yourself, which can be challenging.
That tubing off the compressor is killing me. Let me see what I have for spares.

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:02 pm

Awesome stuff as always!

I actually almost sent you a message about coming out there this weekend to see the pistons before they went in but got busy, now I'll look forward to seeing it in action :luke:

gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby gmreider » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:43 pm

squaab99t wrote:.
That tubing off the compressor is killing me. Let me see what I have for spares.

Dennis what is killing you about the compressor tubing / Is it the run from the compressor into the intercooler? Always looking for constructive criticism, so let it fly.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:54 pm

gmreider wrote:
squaab99t wrote:.

Dennis what is killing you about the compressor tubing / Is it the run from the compressor into the intercooler? Always looking for constructive criticism, so let it fly.

That giant U bend is not doing it for me. It works but the form factor looks hacked together.
Maybe something like this?
IMG_0620.PNG

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:12 pm

OK Dennis, I like your example. Just went and stared at the car and I can see that if I modify the upper cooling hose location some , I could improve on the piping. I notice that you have afan on the right side and have the compressor outlet almost vertical. I don't have that fan and have my compressor outlet clocked a bit forward. While we are on piping, I have 2 inch out of the compressor going into a 3 inch pipe @ the intercooler inlet. Out of the intercooler, I go back to 2.75 inch all the way to the throttle. Care to comment on that ?

Krizzie
Nickname: Kris
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby Krizzie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:01 am

Best is to turn the turbo coldside down, makes the pipes shorter and you don't have sharp bends.
My ride: MY91 Saab 900 Aero T5.5 Converted, 9000 Aero interior, Xenon projectors and many more mods/upgrades

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:07 pm

gmreider wrote:OK Dennis, I like your example. Just went and stared at the car and I can see that if I modify the upper cooling hose location some , I could improve on the piping. I notice that you have afan on the right side and have the compressor outlet almost vertical. I don't have that fan and have my compressor outlet clocked a bit forward. While we are on piping, I have 2 inch out of the compressor going into a 3 inch pipe @ the intercooler inlet. Out of the intercooler, I go back to 2.75 inch all the way to the throttle. Care to comment on that ?

Like Krizzle mentioned if you can clock the compressor outlet down, or a 4 o'clock that will get it pointed in the correct direction and shorten the tubing length. The goal is to reduce the number and degree of bends.
Tubing size I think you are fine. Mine is 2" to 2 1/2", intercooler, 2 1/2" out and 3" to the throttle body.
Some older pictures but you can see the plumbing
P1050758.JPG

P1050760.JPG

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:44 am

How about some advice on an EGT gauge and sensor location. If I was to put an EGT on "RED" were is the best/ proper location on the exhaust. Before the turbo, after ?
I was going to only spring for one sensor at this point.
Getting a bit more serious about tuning tools and this looks right up there with my wide band O2 sensor.
Oh, Dennis , I am looking over my tubing pieces and may make a change soon !
I have attached an old photo as food for thought about Hill Climbing. Hope it shows up
Attachments
Roll over SAAB.pdf
(94.12 KiB) Downloaded 173 times

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”