Winter Tires

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Scott
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Re: Winter Tires

Postby Scott » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:02 pm

I bought some used General Altimax arctics a few years ago, and they ran quite well in our not too snowy climate. In the snow the car felt unstoppable, but they were very mushy though.

Last year Tirerack had a sale on some pirellis, or maybe pirelli did, but their snow tires have been pretty awesome. Not bad in the dry, and pretty good in the snow. I can't recall the model, but if anyone interested in knowing i'll take a look.

Scott
I wish my car had winter mood technology.

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:51 pm

PepBoys claimed to have the Altimax Arctic in stock and I almost pulled the trigger yesterday but was skeptical, now they have disappeared from the site. Ditto Walmart, claim to have them but I'm again skeptical since all the other major tire retailers say its all but impossible to get them anymore in 205/55/16 :crazy:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/General-Alti ... W/19889593

Anyone have experience with 205/60/16 on a 9-3? It doesn't seem like a huge jump, but a tire calculator site says its an extra 0.8" over 205/55 (and 1.1" more than the 215/45/17 summers) which I think would be really freaking close to rubbing on the wheel arches.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:36 am

You probably want to search for the Altimax Arctic 12 (former Gislaved Nordfrost 100), the old Altimax Arctic are probably discontinued.

Also, mushy snow tires = grip = :luke:
firm snow tires = slip = :barf:
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:14 am

I am the 73%

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:16 am

I also have a brand new set of 185 15" general arctic's that I bought a year or two ago for my C900 but didnt end up driving in the winter. They are brand new and have been in storage out of the sun up in my garage since then. I'd sell them for $250
I am the 73%

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestion on the General Arctics!!

We got our first snow of the year and these performed fantastically, not that I was able to really get them up to speed with all the traffic, but accelerating from a stop and braking were great. Im hoping for a skit trip up to VT this winter so hopefully I'll give them a real workout sometime soon...

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”