Winter Tires

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Winter Tires

Postby hutch » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:58 am

Howdy all, we're nearing that time when (hopefully) cool weather and eventually snow are creeping into daily life on the east coast, figured I'd see what/if anyone is planning on running for winter tires and/or what a good site to purchase from these days?

My 16's are completely bald and was looking at these, almost entirely because they are one of the cheapest options on tirerack that still gets decent reviews:

Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D 205/55R16
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... terSection

I've got access to a free set of 235/(45?)/17's with decent tread, but going two sizes wider doesn't seem like the best thing to do to prep for winter :crazy:

Anyone got any good choices or recommendations?

Sam
Nickname: sambone

Re: Winter Tires

Postby Sam » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:01 pm

I had the dunlop winter sport M3. The tread pattern on those looks identical. They were great tires but more sport oriented than something like a Gisalved or Blizzaks with a firmer sidewall. I don't think youll be disappointed
There is no such thing as too low or too stiff.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:22 pm

Dunlop is headquartered in Ohio. They don't get much snow there. If you want real winter tires go with a Scandinavian tire; Nokain or Gislaved. If you want to save some $ Nokian sells their older designs under the "Nordman" brand and Gislaved sells theirs under the "General Altimax Arctic" line. Both are good.
I've tried Blizzaks and some older Michelins and I was disappointed. They were good for a few thousand miles, then they got crappy.

The last few years I ran Gislaved Nordfrost 3 (stamped General Altimax Arctic), this year I got a good deal on a set of nearly new Nokain Hakkapeliita R2 175/65/15 (go skinny or go home! ;) ). If I were to buy new I'd get Nokian Hakka 8 or 9.

Also, see this Norwegian test:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=no&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.naf.no%2Fforbrukertester%2Fdekktester%2Fvinterdekktest-2018%2F&sandbox=1
Good results for Continental, Michelin, Hankook as well but I'm still cautious about buying tires that might lose a lot of their performance after a few thousand miles.

Eeuro sells Nokian...
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:30 am

I've been running the General Altimax Arctic tires on my cars for for the last 5 to 10 years and have been very happy with them to the point that I wouldn't bother paying the extra for the Nokian tires anymore.
I am the 73%

beckmannag
Number of Saabs currently owned: 27

Postby beckmannag » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:22 am

I've had 'cheap' snows that weren't much better than all seasons, even with studs.

I'm a few years behind on the tech, but the studded Nordman 5 I used last winter were/are a lot better than the studded Nordman 4 I had previously. ( 185/65/15 on c900t). To the extent that driving in the snow is now entertaining, rather than concerning.
Was speaking with a Vianor rep yesterday, and he confirmed a compound difference between the two. I'd suspect that change has been carried forward into the newer models of both the Nordman and Hakkapeliitta.
Cost notwithstanding, my next set will be Nokians.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:13 am

I don't bother getting studs anymore as the improvements in tread compounds and design have improved so much that studs are pretty much old tech. Studs help a little on ice but actually detract from pavement traction and don't do much of anything in snow. The Nokian tires use the "ecostud" design where the stud is cast into a slightly softer rubber area so that it can retract into the tire on harder surfaces and not wear as much.

there was a tire rack article a year or two ago where they tested studded and non studded tires in a skating rink and the non studded tires performed better on ice than the studded ones did. This had to do with the fact that the studded tires were not as up to date on tread design and compound improvements.
I am the 73%

Sam
Nickname: sambone

Postby Sam » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:13 am

I had gislaved nord forst as well and I think they are a bit better than the Dunlops. However the Dunlop are better when not in snow. You can tell just by touching the rubber that the compound is much dryer and more porous feeling on the gislaved. Dunlop is more a blend of an all season type material and snow tire
There is no such thing as too low or too stiff.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:02 am

Sam wrote:Dunlop is more a blend of an all season type material and snow tire

booo! :lol:

Has anyone tried the 'ecostuds' that Nokian offers? I'm curious how they are with retention in the tire. I think they were first released on the Hakka 4 or 5 (or maybe that was the square studs). Like Beckmang I'm a few years behind and like Crazyswede I've mostly been buying non-studded because they're quieter and keep their balance a lot longer because there are no studs to fall out. The Norwegian test I linked above rates them (studded Hakka 9) pretty high on asphalt - better than the studless Nordman Rs2 (former Hakka R2, I think). But do they stay in the tire after a year?

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:15 am

I have a set of brand new (or nearly brand new) Green Diamond Icelanders mounted to a set of 16" wheels that will fit NG900, 9-3, and 9-5 that I would sell cheap (like $100 or less + shipping) if anyone is interested in them. I had them as a spare set when I still have my 9-5 and have no use for them anymore.

http://www.green-diamond-tire.com/productswest1.html#
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:02 pm

I'm going to defend the Blizzaks. I've had very good luck with them on Deb's 9000 and also with the truck version, the Winter Dueler. Even after several years of winter use (I install late and try to remove early), they have great traction. The Winter Duelers make the Astro nearly unstoppable. These tires are several years old now so I don't know how the new models perform. Also, I live in a town that generally does not plow city streets after a snow so ice and slippery surfaces are a bigger issue than depth of snow...

hutch

Postby hutch » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:08 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I've coming from Gislaved 3's that were fantastic for many seasons but are nearly bald and dry rotting now so I figured its time for a change. We don't get usually get crazy levels of sustained snow in PA so I don't think I need anything too extreme, though I've of course jinxed us all..

I'm gonna check out the General Altimax and see if I can find them in an appropriate size for 16 inch wheels, I certainly know tires are not the place to pinch pennies.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:01 am

I think my 9-5 Altimax's are 205/55/16 size but I can double check tomorrow when I get back to the USA and find my car in the parking garage.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:53 pm

We got a few inches last night, welcome home! :lol:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Geoff wrote:We got a few inches last night, welcome home! :lol:

That's what she said? :dunno:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:29 am

I'm running 205/65/15" General Altimax arctics on my 1999 9-5. I was going to replace a pair of them that are worn out but it looks like the arctics are NLA at most places. Took some looking but I found the Arctic 12's so I'll get a set of those and run the old arctics on the rear for this winter and replace them next season.
I am the 73%

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”