Cornfield Racer

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Cornfield Racer

Postby airsweden » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:52 pm

Chris Rizzon and I put together, or should I say took apart a 90' spg for some local cornfield racing. There are 3-4 different races around here that are as close to wheel to wheel rally-x as you can get just this side of a demo derby. We dragged it down to Sunderland VT for the first round of racing last weekend but that was as far as we got. During the practice laps I broke the driver side inner and the pass side outer cv joints. Had time to swap in the spare half shafts before our first heat but 2 laps in both outers were toast. It was too bad, we had put a lot of time into the car and it really felt like it was gonna move out there. The previous week we gutted it out pretty good, removed most of the glass, threw on some old rally tires, added a skid plate, racing seat and welded the diff. I guess the re-man cv's with ???? miles weren't as exicited as we were. I'll order some brand new ones and see if I can get any more weight off it it before the next round.
JT

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:44 pm

That sounds like too much fun to be legal. Suprised you had such a problem with the CV although I have heard that those cheapie remans are nothing more that 200k mile used units cleaned up to look all purdy.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:02 pm

Luke wrote:That sounds like too much fun to be legal. Suprised you had such a problem with the CV although I have heard that those cheapie remans are nothing more that 200k mile used units cleaned up to look all purdy.

I can verify this. I bought a set, and I actually blew one of the outer drivers in about 1000 miles and had to be towed home...

Nice.
Less brake more gas!

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:21 pm

Me too, I had a unexplainable vibration when i switched to 900 hubs with remaned CVs. I swapped CV back to 150k mile ones I had around and all is well.. upon further inspection "new" CV has clearences that are too tight and would not move freely even after 10k miles of use.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:12 am

plus I am pretty sure they mix and match parts from units that are more and less worn... You are about 100X better off cleaning and replacing the boots on your original axles, or getting an un-molested pair of axles off of a car from the junk yard.

and FYI, junk yard u pull it axles come with free inner drivers too! :lol: just have to remember to take a really long extension and they are even easy to get out. pop em back onto the drive axles, and bam.
Less brake more gas!

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”