900 rear Upper Spring Supports

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Buttercup
Nickname: Buttercup
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

900 rear Upper Spring Supports

Postby Buttercup » Fri May 21, 2021 9:32 am

This is for my 1988 900 SPG. It is a street car that sees a lot of backroad driving but is not a rally car nor will it be. I sort of hate to muddy up this forum with a general question -- but the rear spring supports (upper, I think you'll refer to these as spring "perch") are bending due to corrosion (on the carbody/vertical adjacent the spring support if that makes sense) and I'm taking the car over to a welder on Monday to have new supports fabricated. Besides just beefing up the plate and doing a good job tying in with the car body, I'm not sure what else may be done. Since this is not a rally car and there's no additional cage/body support going into it, I'm wondering if there is anything that should be done differently? Has a member here done anything with design of rear upper spring perch for the 900? Thanks! so much.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: 900 rear Upper Spring Supports

Postby Crazyswede » Tue May 25, 2021 1:26 pm

its not a common area that I've seen rust problems in and its for a spring where the impulse forces are low. I'd just cut out the rust and corrosion and weld in some new solid metal and seal it and should be good.
I am the 73%

Buttercup
Nickname: Buttercup
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: 900 rear Upper Spring Supports

Postby Buttercup » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:32 pm

Thanks for your reply. We did end up having a welder do exactly as you suggested.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”