b2x4 + manifold

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

b2x4 + manifold

Postby Hans » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:02 pm

Hi -

Nice site, and cool car!

Q re: the intake -- why was it cut? I've got a b2x4 head mated to a b212 mani -- the machine shop got it to fit as a straight bolt-on. It was tight but it matches and doesn't leak.

Also, I calc'd 2* cam retard due to the thinner b2x4 vs. b2x2. Are you running adjustable gears or just straight Saab stuff? Which cams?

-Hans

89T DD
86 notch, 2.1L'd, T'd, Quaife on the way (Cone masher, no dirt. Please don't hate me.) :lol:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:40 am

Hi there. The 2.1 manifold will bolt right on a later head, the problem is the ports don't line up very well. In order to get the ports close to matching the bolt pattern must shifted down about 5/16 of an inch on the manifold. This involves welding the old bolt holes shut and then redrilling them. That gets the basic ports centered, but then the ports are still a different shape. I cut the manifold off to make it easy to port match the manifold to the head. It seems like a lot of work, but it took about 30 seconds to slice it off in the band saw and only a few minutes to weld it back together. Plus I wanted to be assured that I had a really good flow path or else much of the reason for going to the new head would be eliminated.
I also noticed that the thickness of the heads are different. My solution was to use the appropriate cams for that head. I'd like to get some adjustable cam gears so that I can fool around with different cams from different years.

I am tempted to get a quaiffe for a historic class car I intend build for tarmac rally, let us know how you like it!

The Manifold before modification:

The Head before modification:

The Head after modification:

The Manifold after modification:

t16_rally
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

camgears

Postby t16_rally » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:34 pm

www.speedparts.se press "produkter" then press motor under tuning, and then kamdrev

voila ;-)
rallying is life!

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”