anybody know...

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
hotrodlarry
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

anybody know...

Postby hotrodlarry » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:06 pm

I saw a c900 with what looked to be a full roll cage in it in Claremont NH today. It was being towed by a white Ford quad cab, maybe a F-350? Anyone from here? I had my race car sitting in the parking lot where I work (AutoZone)on Washington St and I was hoping whoever was in the white Ford woulda have stopped by and said hi.

fiasco
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

that was rallyho

Postby fiasco » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:48 am

That was rallyho, either on his way to or from attempting to get a logbook. I'll let him fill in the details there as I'll just go off on a tirade, but he was probably in a coma from the functioning AC, cruise control and satellite radio in the borrowed tow rig.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:11 pm

So was the logbook quest successful? I can't imagine he had many bones to pick... that lead sled could only be made safer if you filled the roll cage with concrete.

Rallyho
Nickname: El Blanco
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Rallyho » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:26 am

That was indeed the RallySlow Motorports begged/borrowed/stolen tow rig draggn' the bare minimum for a log book to Don Taylor's Shelby East Garage.

Alas, it didn't receive one this weekend. Overall, the cage exceeds the specs in all but one, nit-picky little area. The RA rulebook stipulates that every terminating member of the cage (leg) must have a properly sixzed plate underneath it. We designed this cage so that all the various rear legs, x's, braces, etc terminate into a tube that pierces the wheel-well and sits on top of the rear shock mount. Forming a pretty strong attachment point.

Anyway, there is not plate under that whole mess. So, checking with Mike Hurst today to see if a short section of tube can run aft of the "shockt tube" to the floor with a corrisponding plate.

If yes, then I can make the fix, take some pics, and get my logbook by mail.

Could be worse I suppose.

Oh, and Don's take on the door bar set up is that I have 3 bars, meeting the regs that would allow me to gut the doors.

So, I got that going for me.
Rallyho

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:53 am

Hmm, Can you just throw some steel plate cut to fit around the base of the vertical tube back there? Whatever you do it sounds like it would improve the ability of being able to cut the ends of the tube off the top of the shock mounts so you could put rod end mounts on the shock

Rallyho

Postby Rallyho » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:19 am

Luke, perhaps this is what you were sugesting when you were up, but what about hole sawing the oem upper mount out of the way, then "carving" back some of the tube that's coming down to it...so it kinda looks like the top of an organ tube, then weld in some bung front and rear for an upper bearing. Wait, I don't think I'm going to be able to get in to drill those holes... hmmmm. weld in a new "roof" which then gets a shock mount welded to it?

Crap, where is my echa-sketch?!
Rallyho

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:33 am

Yeah thats sort of what I was implying. Theoretically you wouldnt have to sculpt the tube away like an organ, but that would make it much easier to align the shock eye up for mounting.

Rallyho

Postby Rallyho » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:11 am

How do I attach a pdf?[/img]
Rallyho

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:13 am

I don't think you can embed a PDF so that it displays in the forum. I think you'll just have to link to it.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:46 am

yup, link it.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”