baja 1000 saab

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

baja 1000 saab

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:21 pm

so I'm thinking something along the lines of a super 900 notchback to compete in the baja 1000/500 with...someday down the road....as a possibility. We could start with a notchback 900 2 door. Cut the front off the car off just in front of the firewall. Build a full on tube frame/cage tying in the front end, passenger area, and rear end. Build a long travel upper/lower A-arm front suspension and move the engine and transmission to the mid/rear. Use something like a viggen engine or a 2.3 litre turbo coupled to a suitable rear engine....and drive the rear wheels through some sort of independent rear suspension. So basicly it would be Saab powered and have some resemblance to a Saab....and would be a lot of custom.

Idea # 2 is to build a single seat small hayabusa 1300cc powered desert buggy.

and

Idea #3 is of course to put together a motorcycle team (easiest to put together, most risk involved).
I am the 73%

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:30 pm

What's "we"? I don't have a rally budget. :lol:
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:31 pm

WHAT!?!?! you dont have any money for me? I see where I stand in this relationship. Its ok I dont have any money for said budget either.
I am the 73%

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:49 pm

Are you saying that the SAABRALLY.COM communications department is underfunded? Ok I'll double your budget and salary for the next season. Of course, double of nothing isnt going to get you very far :lol:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:00 pm

One thing that would be cool to do would be a draw up custom long travel a-arms ( and standard ones for that matter) in CAD. Then we could send the files off to a shop that does CNC tube bending and notching and have all the pieces custom cut from 4130 steel and then I can build a jig and weld them up.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:16 pm

are you talking longer A arms for your car or for something like a baja car? If we made longer ones for your car then you would of course need some custom beefy axles, wider wheels, and you would have a good reason to run the cool wheel arches.
I am the 73%

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:55 am

After I severely bent the upper a-arms at west viginia I was thinking about making them out of tubular 4130 to be lighter and stronger. Oh I forgot to mention: When we had the knuckles off at the rally cross to replace the CV we noticed that the upper ball joint bolts were bent! When we went to remove and put the wrench on one side the other side wiggled and squirmed around because they arent straight anymore. I am guessing this had something to do with landing 65 feet of air at BRS. Looks like Mil-spec bolts are on next on the list to add to the front suspension.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”