Brakes

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Rallyho
Nickname: El Blanco
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Brakes

Postby Rallyho » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:37 pm

Luke, nice site you guys have put together.

I'm interested in what you guys are using for calipers, rotors, adapter plates, hydralic handbrake mount, etc.

Thanks in advance.

The new project is slowly lifting off the ground and I need all the help I can get.
Rallyho

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:45 pm

brakes? we dont use no stinkin brakes!
I am the 73%

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:22 am

In a nutshell, the rally car uses Wilwood calipers and adjustable dual master cylinders, which is about all I can tell you myself, but if you want to know every mod on the car, click "cars" on the homepage and you can find out most of what you'd want to know about the rally car. Other than that, Luke would be able to tell you what's missing from the list, such as the year, color, and trim of the car that any specific bolt on the rally car was salvaged from. :lol:
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Rallyho

Postby Rallyho » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:34 am

Thanks Max. It's a good looking setup. I never could get the oem stuff working well on my 99...regardless of what I updated/backdated to. So I'm definitely curious about which part numbers, and adapters and custom fabbed parts you guys pulled together to build that setup. I'm building a 900, so I'm thinking that most of the bits should bolt up.
Rallyho

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:19 pm

Mike, not sure if you saw the transmission steel diff cover thread but you may be interested in adding your name to the list. Last we heard Luke was talking to the water cutter about having them cut out of 1/4" steel plate and will be welding a small cover on to clear the ring gear. Not sure what price will be yet, but talk all pretty like and he will probably give you the saabrally insider rate :wink:
I am the 73%

Rallyho

Postby Rallyho » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Didn't see that thread and yes I'm interested.

Is there some sort of insider thread I can't see or something?
Rallyho

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:18 pm

It may have been posted in the team forums, which the public cannot see. Either way, let Luke know if you want one.
-Max

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:41 pm

Hi Mike,

Glad you found our site. We are using 86-87 turbo hubs with the SP slotted rotors. The calipers are Wilwood Dynalite narrow mount 4 piston with 1.75 bore. You will need to order ones for .81 width rotors. They are available in both forged and billet versions. We have the billet ones which look cool but the forged ones are probably stronger and a few $ cheaper too. I would have got them but I didnt know they existed at the time. They are super easy to fit. It seems that the saab bolt spacing is based around an old english lockhead/AP standard that was used in a lot of cars of the period and happened to develop into one of the standards for racing calipers. The only thing that needs to be done is the mouting ears need to be chased out from 1/2 to 9/16 and an 1/8" spacer needs to be fabricated to get the offset spacing correct. Of course then you have to figure out the brake lines, but thats easy stuff, either some metric adapters or just go straight AN like we did. I am really suprised that more saabers havent caught onto this, and still continue to swap all the hubs over to 88+ to get the grossly overweight calipers, an even more obscure bolt pattern and weak stock wheels. But thats ok, I like to encourage the swap and then nicely offer to take those soccerballs and sheblys that no-longer fit off there hands :D

PS. You have a PM.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:39 am

The handbrake uses a stock 99 lever but with a knurled metal extension tube welded on it for a bit more leverage. Then we built a bracket that bolts into the car that holds a standard wilwood 5/8" master. We also welded the stock ratchet mechanism to it and we have a lever that flips to enable or disable it.

Mike asked me about the punches. I just use standard greenlee knockout punches, I got most off ebay just make sure you get actual size, not conduit size. The dimpling dies I got came from Irvan smith. http://www.irvansmith.com/catalog2/part ... lare.shtml I have a couple sizes. They are not cheap but it sure is fun to dimple holes.

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:17 am

Out of context quote! Hee hee... i don't know why i found that funny.

Luke wrote:it sure is fun to dimple holes.
-Max

SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:22 pm

I was wondering how those holes got so sweet.

How did you do those cool looking ridges on the firewall?

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:46 pm

Bead Roller that Luke bought and then reengineered. That bead roller isn't complete (still) I don't think.
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:36 am

For not being complete, it does a pretty friggin' good job. I helped him make those beads, it was pretty simple.
-Max

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:26 pm

Lets not forget that adding beads also increases the resistance to bending without adding weight, so it's not all for good looks, IIRC we also beaded the panel covering where the rear seat back used to be.
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

rsp57
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

brakes

Postby rsp57 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:59 am

Hi luke, i was interested to hear your coment on the late hubs and heavy calipers. my 99 has '90 model 900 hubs and 9000 turbo rotors and calipers on the front and '90 model 900 front rotors and calipers on the rear. I had to make a spacer/adapter for the rear to mount to the axle otherwise it all fits and requires no mods. the wheel offset remains the same and i have no legal isues. it is a cheap alternative. Any thoughts? :?:

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”