Gripper Limited Slip Technical Thread

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Gripper Limited Slip Technical Thread

Postby Geoff » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:20 am

picture link doesn't work. ("Not found on this server")
How does it shift in the cold? :lol:
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

allessence
Nickname: allessence

Postby allessence » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:57 pm

Sorry about the link. I have fixed it for the moment. I'm using Google Picasa3 and not sure really how reliable it is for picture server.

Funny thing is this morning I really didn't notice any difference cold or hot. I was actually very surprised at how thick this stuff is.

The trans does sound a little quiter and it does say it's 75w-90 basic weight. I dropped a drop of the stuff when I was filling it on the curved part of the fender and this morning is was still a drop in the same spot. HUH> LOL.
Okay, so I'm female and like SAAB's go figure. Mind you, I like a good set of strappy sandal's just about as much though they don't take you thru the corners as fast. LOL

Rosie: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... =Jennifers

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:12 pm

Any updates or new info?

It looked from your photos that the thrust surfaces on those bellevilles was pretty galled up, like they weren't getting any lubricant (which I imagine they aren't).

Are there any burrs on the thrust faces on the outside of the element gears where the tripod tulips spline into? Is there any other surface that controls how much the inner diameter of the belleville can thrust out, or is that the only thing keeping the ramp rings from wedging all the way apart (controlling the pre-load is another way to put it).

Do you have more photos? I'd like to see where the corners of the ramps are chipped too if you get a chance.

Best,
Drew
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

allessence

Postby allessence » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:22 am

The galling of the surfaces I would assume as standard fair. As to the lack of lubrication. Not on my part. I have never had a box fail from no oil. I believe it's do to the springs braking an acting as chisels. The brineling. Well you guess is as good as mine.

On the parts disassembly the inside of the diff was full of oil and the parts were actually held in place by oil film. The bevelille springs do act as the preload. I imagine there must be a way to insert some other device to get the same goal. I can tell you the side with the least clutches had the most damage.

Nope, no pictures of the ramp damage. I was on a dead line and simply swapped out engine/trans/diff/exhaust manifold and had it up in running in 8hours.

(Are there any burrs on the thrust faces on the outside of the element gears where the tripod tulips spline into?) No.
Okay, so I'm female and like SAAB's go figure. Mind you, I like a good set of strappy sandal's just about as much though they don't take you thru the corners as fast. LOL

allessence

Postby allessence » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:59 am

As to oil temps and shifting. Since the install of the newer 89 transmissions (since 4th gear blew in the other one). The question has come up as to shift quality vs warm oil.

Well, in a previous post I said there really isn't a difference.

Well there is. When cold it is notchty beyound belief. As the oil gets warm shift quality improves, but really shifting is best once the car has been driven at least 5 miles and the oil is fully warmed up.

The heavyweight shockproof is really thick. As a demo to one of my friends I opened the jug and poured some to the mouth opening which had a V in the foil seal and the oil came to the V and just sat there growing ever larger round bubble shape at the v groove until I moved the bottle from level to almost 70 degrees then it started to form a droplet and started to flow down the foil.

So, a full warm up is almost mandatory for any type of driving.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:32 pm

allessence wrote:The bevelille spring washers on both sides were completely broke. On side was in 2 pieces and the other side was in 7 pieces.

Geoff please spec some replacements. Mcmaster has some listed but I used mine before I had a chance to measure. Thanks

Today I checked McMaster, MSC, a few other places on the internets and a local industrial supplier but came up with nothing. The Belleville washer/spring measures 2.5" ID, 3.2" OD, 0.115" thick, 0.180" tall (laid on table, measured from table to top of washer). I also tried metric sizes.

Looking at it now, it looks like the ID was modified. I'll have to look around some more...
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

allessence

Postby allessence » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:11 pm

Hello all, Been a long time. I've been wrapped up with one project after another (non car of course) and figured it was time for an update.

The Heavyweight oil seems to have an advantage over stock oil, or the maxgear 75w-90 and several others I have tried.

I can tell you the shift quality is best when the oil gets hot. And the shift quality has gotten better hot or cold as it's been in the car. I used to change the oil every oil change, but haven't changed it since the last transmission change. So, were talking what 6 or 8 months.

Has anybody fitted their units yet?

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:38 pm

So Chris Rizzon blew 3rd gear at the AMEC iceraces last weekend in Tupper Lake, NY. He finished the race and made the 2.5 hour drive home without a tow. Tonight we started swapping in another used trans to get him back in action. Upon disasembly of his gripper we found that one of the two belleville springs/washers is broken. Has anybody found a source for a correct replacement? It doesn't look like we'll have this back together before Sunday but it would be nice to at least have it going for next week. Any help is appreciated.

JT
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

allessence

Postby allessence » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:46 am

Nope, I haven't. I was almost thinking of going with a lighter preload spring and adding in another clutch disk.

I'll email Tom today.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:50 pm

I have been running Shockproof Heavy in my '85 900T (with 85714 rebuilt box) for about 7-8 months now too, and echo what Jennifer said about having to get it hot.

We have pretty mild winter temps in LA, and if I go too quickly into 2nd the first few shifts it crunches a touch, and is a little stiff, but as soon as it warms up some it seems fine.

My trans has been a little stiff and notchy every since I got it with everything freshened up inside, and once it's hot it does shift a little better than it did when I had Redline MTL or the Redline MT-90 in it, I wouldn't use it anywhere that actually had winter though. If I was still in Chicago I would have tried switching to the 'Lightweight' for winter to see how that is, but with our temps I didn't feel the need to switch it.

Best,
Drew
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

allessence

Postby allessence » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:06 am

Hey all, Been a long time again.

Does anybody have any pictures of the bevel washers from their boxes broken? Maybe some pictures of the ramps on the side gears? AKA planet driver?

I emailed Tom about the broken bevel washers and he said they have changed suppliers and was hoping to see a pictures of the planet drivers ramps. I'm not exactly in the mood for taking the thing apart to take pictures.

Anybody else have any?

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:21 pm

Rebuilding the gearbox that I have the gripper in this week. Its already on the bench hopefully I'll be able to tear down and take pics tonight.

allessence

Postby allessence » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:42 pm

Luke wrote:Rebuilding the gearbox that I have the gripper in this week. Its already on the bench hopefully I'll be able to tear down and take pics tonight.

How many hours/time on gripper?

If the ramps have any signs of wear be sure and send me some pictures directly. Thanks

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:07 pm

About 1000 rally miles which is probably equal to at least 50k on the street.

allessence

Postby allessence » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:22 pm

Luke wrote:About 1000 rally miles which is probably equal to at least 50k on the street.

You have never seen me drive :bawl:

Great this will mean it has some wear on it.

Thanks

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”