2nd production run of steel reinforced diff covers?

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
happyandy
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby happyandy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:32 pm

Are there any more of these available, and could I pick it up from you guys at Carlisle? :) Also, are there any complete diagrams of the above cooling system? I work on industial vehicles and I see alot of diff/final drive cooling systems there too.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Hey that's my car..........My 99 16vt set up

Postby Geoff » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:48 am

99sven wrote:That is a picture of my first set up. Switched to a steel diff cover soon after. I don't know why everyone wants to change the location on a position that has been proven to work quite well. Rob Walden showed me the diff cover from the Factory car and I duplicated that exactly. That is where all the heat is generated.

Gregg

I've seen two different setups from the factory team. One is the both lines on the diff cover, the other is with the return going in on the side cover (near the dipstick/reverse gear). I think the later setup is with both lines on the diff cover. I seem to remember seeing it that way on the Turbos, but the 16V EMS rally cars (earlier cars) I've seen had the return on the side cover.

Rob has a factory works car?
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

99sven

Steel Diff Cover

Postby 99sven » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:09 pm

I was looking at a copy of two stroke to Turbo with him and he mentioned that he owned the 99 on the cover. Picked it up in Louisiana or something years back. Maybe Shawn knows the details better.
Gregg Cronn

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:56 am

Picked it up in Louisiana or something years back.

That was when/where Sandy in ME said he got his car. Somebody lost their big sponsor and had to sell 3-4 works cars. He got a NA 8v but said there were also a couple turbos in the batch.
JT

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:21 am

That was Ola Stromberg, he was based out of Baton Rouge for a while.
Dick Fitzgerald ran the team and was apparently the distributor for most of the sport&rally parts in the states.

Rallyho
Nickname: El Blanco

Postby Rallyho » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:38 pm

Quick, funny story about Dick Fitzgerald in LA.

About 12 summers ago Suz and I were leaving Maine to move to NH so she could go back to school. We decided to quit our jobs and drive all the way "down south" to visit my extended family, then over to LA and TX to visit hers, then up through CO and back to NH visiting friends along the way. Great trip, 9 weeks on the road...very fun.

Anyway, we're in my black 85T with big Rally 3000's on the fr bumper and hitting Louisianna when the AC packs it in. We stop, find a phone booth...(no, we didn't have a cell phone) and open the phone book hoping to find a saab dealer....yeah right...not! But, this is this little saab repair shop, just a couple of miles away.

So we find this place, the guy puts our car up on the lift...makes some comment about the "Beeeg Ole Laights" on the car and get's to work while we mill about. As I'm strolling around in his waiting area I glance up and there, on the wall is a pic of Ola screaming around some corner...and it's autographed...then I turn...and there is another...and there is a Minilite under the magazine bench, and a Sport and Rally catalog on the table...and I start to feel the room spinning, and this catapiller is honking on this hooka...

No, it wasn't a dream! I fairly burst out of the waiting room and accost this guy, tell him I wanna build a rally car, used to have a 99, etc. He grins and says, "Man, too bad you weren't here about a month ago...some guys from Washington state came in and dragged EVERYTHING off...bodies in white, pallets of wheels, gearboxes..." the faintness came back...I called for more Mint-Julips.

We spent the next hour talking about his dad Dick, Ola, Rob and Sam, rally cars, holy shit, it was great.

That is a totally true story and I had forgotten about it until you brought that up Luke!!!

Thanks!
Rallyho

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:35 pm

Rallyho wrote:Quick, funny story about Dick Fitzgerald in LA.

About 12 summers ago Suz and I were leaving Maine to move to NH so she could go back to school. We decided to quit our jobs and drive all the way "down south" to visit my extended family, then over to LA and TX to visit hers, then up through CO and back to NH visiting friends along the way. Great trip, 9 weeks on the road...very fun.

Anyway, we're in my black 85T with big Rally 3000's on the fr bumper and hitting Louisianna when the AC packs it in. We stop, find a phone booth...(no, we didn't have a cell phone) and open the phone book hoping to find a saab dealer....yeah right...not! But, this is this little saab repair shop, just a couple of miles away.

So we find this place, the guy puts our car up on the lift...makes some comment about the "Beeeg Ole Laights" on the car and get's to work while we mill about. As I'm strolling around in his waiting area I glance up and there, on the wall is a pic of Ola screaming around some corner...and it's autographed...then I turn...and there is another...and there is a Minilite under the magazine bench, and a Sport and Rally catalog on the table...and I start to feel the room spinning, and this catapiller is honking on this hooka...

No, it wasn't a dream! I fairly burst out of the waiting room and accost this guy, tell him I wanna build a rally car, used to have a 99, etc. He grins and says, "Man, too bad you weren't here about a month ago...some guys from Washington state came in and dragged EVERYTHING off...bodies in white, pallets of wheels, gearboxes..." the faintness came back...I called for more Mint-Julips.

We spent the next hour talking about his dad Dick, Ola, Rob and Sam, rally cars, holy shit, it was great.

That is a totally true story and I had forgotten about it until you brought that up Luke!!!

Thanks!

I saw a caterpillar once. it was fuzzy
I am the 73%

Rallyho

Postby Rallyho » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:42 pm

...did that nasty Gee-off have his fly undone again? :shock:
Rallyho

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:57 am

Must be where all the aluminum 99 hoods came from!
Several years ago, Rob was trying to get me one of 3 hoods (one complete, 2 skins), that reside in WA. He didn't want to see them on a rally car, but thought my hillclimber would be a good place for one. We were never abel to swing it with the guy who had them in his storage. Some co-ownership issues or something :cry:
I soooooo want one...

john

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:42 am

Rallyho wrote:...did that nasty Gee-off have his fly undone again? :shock:

Hey Mike, nice balls! :P

So who from Washington got all the goods?
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Rallyho

Postby Rallyho » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:52 am

Just like that AC/DC song says man!

Rob Walden and Sam Bryan got it all from what I was told, but I'm sure Nate/Sean can dive in here and tell us the real skinny.
Rallyho

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”