Quick release steering hub

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Rallyho
Nickname: El Blanco
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Quick release steering hub

Postby Rallyho » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:33 pm

What are you guys using and seeing for quick releases? I like the way Luke's setup seems to work, with the spherical bearings and such. I've got some of those bits on the way, but am unsure on the quick release.

Assume I do not have the abilty to fab wheel adapters, mounts, etc.

thanks
Rallyho

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:10 pm

I used a S&R wheel with a custom adaptor for a standard three bolt quick release hub with a side button.

I removed the hub from the S&R wheel and then drilled and tapped a piece of 1/8" aluminum stock that I had cut into a round disk and then fit the S&R wheel to the adapter disk with the standard screws for the S&R wheel. The pattern for the 3 bolts for the quick release hub was small enough to fit inside the inner circle of the hub mating surface of the S&R wheel so all I had to do was drill three holes with that.

I drilled all the holes with a drill press and tapped the threads by hand.

Rallyho

Postby Rallyho » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:21 pm

yup, seen yours...but that sounds like fabrication to me man! :roll:
Rallyho

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:48 pm

Rallyho wrote:yup, seen yours...but that sounds like fabrication to me man! :roll:

It is. It took an entire night to make. But it's the most beautiful steering wheel hub you've ever seen. :lol:
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:10 pm

Yeah, if you are content to use a momo wheel then your life will be easier. You can buy adapters already made to convert the bolt pattern. Such as http://www.hrpworld.com/SteeringWheelHubAdapter.cfm?form_prod_id=252,48_3933&action=product

I really wanted to be able to use my nice original moto-lita one so John got busy and spun one out of billet aluminum on the lathe, it did turn out awesome! It was also made so that its completly hub-centric. There are shoulders cut where the steering wheel sits and where the quick release boss mounts, that way the bolts don't provide the centering.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:25 pm

Rallyho wrote:yup, seen yours...but that sounds like fabrication to me man! :roll:

Wuss. Then buy a Subaru and buy all your off-the-shelf parts like the rest of the tools.
"Then I tried the XYZ swaybars but the rear was too soft. And then I tried the ABC swaybard but the front was too stiff. So then I tried the...." :lol:

edit:
Ok, who's the jokester and made the board automatically change the word "Su ba ru" to "soobie doobie doo!"? hahahaha!!!

Rallyho

Postby Rallyho » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:30 pm

well, I do have a subaru...but Suz says I can't make it a rally car. Besides, it's WRC Blue By U just like everyone else out there. I need something a little different.

I didn't say I dislike custom fabricated parts...I just said I'm not talented or tool-happy enough to "whip" out trick bits like that. My steering wheel adapter would probably be made out of a cut off Sapporo can filled with JB Weld and drilled to suit.
Rallyho

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:30 pm

oh that was me :) I forgot... It was supposed to be for John when he builds the "Brat outta Hell!" :lol:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:44 pm

Subaru

hahaha i just had to try it for myself, thats awesome! Excellent work jordan, I may just have promote you from team website director to executive website director!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:25 am

Rallyho wrote:. My steering wheel adapter would probably be made out of a cut off Sapporo can filled with JB Weld and drilled to suit.

What's wrong with that? :D
Its not much different than the oil pan on your old box truck! Speaking of box trucks, Brian Goss has his for sale on Craigslist right now.

One more time just for fun:
Subaru

Rallyho

Postby Rallyho » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:36 am

Brian's truck is still for sale? That would make a great service vehicle for someone man. A liiiiiitle high up off the ground, but I think I remember he had some movable steps that he put in place so you could get in and out easier.

That old cube van of mine was a weapon wasn't it? JB weld and a Labatts can as I remember...think Brett did that up at Tall Pines one year.
Rallyho

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:15 pm

Subaru has too many 'doobies' in it. There should be only one. :lol:

Edit- fixed it.
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:37 pm

yeah, I saw it the other day.

Borrowing your truck sort of convinced me that I don't really need a box van. But it was great for taking out mailboxes!

I did the first oil pan repair in May of 2000 with JB Weld and you/Brett touched it up once or twice after that. The pan was still covered with glue when you sold it in what, 2004?

I just ran into Jeff Powell and Jonah Ericsson. They were riding around Keene in Jeff's Sonett.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”