Group buy on equal length headers

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Group buy on equal length headers

Postby hutch » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:39 pm

If anyone is interested in getting a set of quality and inexpensive equal length manifolds now is the time to do it. There will be c900 and 9000 manifolds being made with the possibility of 9-3 (who drives those anyway :P) in the future. I know most of you are handy with a welder but this guy seems to really know his stuff and is willing to do it for pretty cheap so I thought I would pass it on.

http://saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23207

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:17 pm

I wonder if the builder realizes that equal length runners for a c900 are like Medusa on a bad hair day. I'm guessing he's probably used to making the typically symmetrical type seen on transverse-mount FWD motors.

There's a post on Saabnet's perf. board by a guy who bought some equal length runners, and did before/after dyno pulls, only to find the new runners provided no additional hp or torque, and slightly shifted his torque curve, at the expense of low end (engine makes about 200 hp at the wheels). One would expect a bigger improvement than 0 hp 0 tq for $500 (or more?? I don't know what he paid for it).

Until someone demonstrates the limits of the cheap, stock manifold, you're probably better off blowing that kind of money on strippers and coke. Just kidding. You should put it into an IRA. Or buy mom a nice gift... ;-)

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:39 pm

yeah I actually have a set of = length headers. The only difference I noticed was that the car sounded a bit lamer with the header. Personally I think if you want an improved manifold (by volume) log type manifold is the way to go.
Less brake more gas!

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby matt » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:54 pm

I prefer the sound of the log manifold. The unevenness at idle sounds cool to me.
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

Palmer

Postby Palmer » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:40 pm

Hi,

I am the person heading up the group buy on the ELH headers.

Just a quick thought...

As far as I know, there has only been ONE side by side test with ELH headers Vs. the stock log manifold. Please take into consideration that different types of hardware offer different performance while serving the same basic function on the car.

The collector on this one will be quite different than the original one tested, and I do think there will be some decent gains.

I will dyno before and after.

My car is currently at 225 whp, and 295 Lb.Ft. I would think that I am reaching the end of the efficiency of the stock header.

I'm interested in this as well, I will keep you all updated.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:56 am

It seems that log manifold does its job pretty well, and does it well without a huge worry of cracking or decreased longevity. The current rally car is using the stock manifold and it dyno'd close to 300whp with boost at or below stock level. The difference being a more efficient turbo and a better down pipe/exhaust along with intake side enhancements.

I'd agree that the sound is way better stock also.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:43 am

I had thought about building a custom log manifold that mounted the turbo a little further back and toward the fender and at a slightly different angle for better clearance in the 99 engine bay and more direct intake and exhaust plumbing. But I think the stock manifold does a nice job and is reliable. That is a really good price though. With the price of stainless and the huge amount of labor I can't understand how he can make them for so cheap.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:50 am

Luke wrote:I had thought about building a custom log manifold that mounted the turbo a little further back and toward the fender and at a slightly different angle for better clearance in the 99 engine bay and more direct intake and exhaust plumbing. But I think the stock manifold does a nice job and is reliable. That is a really good price though. With the price of stainless and the huge amount of labor I can't understand how he can make them for so cheap.

you should see the price of some of the ones on ebay for hondas. you think $500 is cheap, how about $85 :lol:
Less brake more gas!

Palmer

Postby Palmer » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:11 pm

Luke wrote: That is a really good price though. With the price of stainless and the huge amount of labor I can't understand how he can make them for so cheap.

It's a fantastic price, and he does this for a living. He noticed that no true "pro" makes these and decided to throw us a bone.

He's also interested in making some custom intercoolers, all aluminuim radiators and a few other fun things for us saab people.

So we will see.

:)

Palmer

Postby Palmer » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:45 pm

Pictures!

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:08 am

That looks like the same TIG that Luke has...but maybe that's just because it's blue :lol:

scubasaab

Postby scubasaab » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:16 am

Money will be going out this week for c-900 header and I think I want the jet coating, but one question. Can you easily weld cracks after the jet coating is on there?
I assume you just sand it away from the weld seam.
Thank you for doing this for all of us!
John
Nothing like new tricks in an old dog!

Palmer

Postby Palmer » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:17 pm

I don't see why not!

Scuba, Have you posted in the TSL thread? All of these different forum names get confusing. :)

If not please do so ASAP. Full production will be starting this week, so we need final numbers soon!

Thanks!

Palmer

Postby Palmer » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:11 pm

The first one is done!

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:51 pm

that looks pretty nice, if I had a c900 with a turbo and some exhaust flow issues I'd have to pick one of those up. But sadly I'm boost and saab free for the time being.
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”