AN fittings and hose How to.

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
allessence
Nickname: allessence
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

AN fittings and hose How to.

Postby allessence » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:47 am

I have no experience with AN fittings and hoses. Everytime I look at updating/changing hoses I get so confused. And it doesn't help that SAAB used fittings (no idea) that seem esoteric to me.

So, does anyone have a basic approach? Any do's/don'ts. Any trade secrets to make things easier?

Also, does anyone have a list of the standard fittings for SAAB connections and tubes? Like what kind of fittings are on the oil coolers 86-up? I am very limited on information on these things and find it terribly confusing looking for other than stock parts.

Thanks Jennifer
Okay, so I'm female and like SAAB's go figure. Mind you, I like a good set of strappy sandal's just about as much though they don't take you thru the corners as fast. LOL

Rosie: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... =Jennifers

xassh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby xassh » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:19 am

with my experience with AN fittings, the first thing i should say is this - DO NOT overtighten. i dumped a couple of quarts of oil out of my new T3/T4 turbo after installing that, a performance head and a bunch of other bits. AN fittings (atleast the ones i bought) are aluminum and are easily stripped/overtightened, especially when you are used to cranking down on the steel nuts, bolts, fittings used in stock locations.

which hoses are you looking at replacing?

allessence

Postby allessence » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:51 pm

Just about any and all hoses which carry fluids. Brake, fuel, oil cooler, trans oil cooler/filter, etc.

Are the AN- wrenches really that handy?

Are the AN- products from one company not compatible with another company?

What about hoses? Same indifference with complanies?
Okay, so I'm female and like SAAB's go figure. Mind you, I like a good set of strappy sandal's just about as much though they don't take you thru the corners as fast. LOL

SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:12 pm

The AN standard is universal. Any companies fittings should be interchangeable given they are they same fitting. AN stands for army/navy and was originally so their tubing would be the same military-wide.

Hope that helps!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:52 pm

I've built a few hoses using AN fittings. I usually start from the beginning each time, "Now what do I need again?" A lot of the stuff can get confusing, I find it best to take a hose or oil cooler to the hardware store with me and match it up to a nut or bolt to see what the thread size is. I recently bought some pitch gauges so that should help...

As mentioned earlier, all the bits should be interchangeable from company to company. Just get all the same AN size (2, 4, 6, etc.) parts and hoses and the proper size for what you're plumbing into (oil cooler threads etc.). I forget how the sizing works but it's something like 2 = 2/16" 4 = 4/16" (Luke posted the sizing convention once).

When I cut the braided hoses I wrap them with a layer or two of masking tape, mark a line on the tape, and then cut using a fine tooth hacksaw. There are instructions for this on some of the AN fitting companies websites. The wire braids get messed up anyway but you can usually push them all under the collar of the fitting. If not trim the stragglers away with a pair of snips. Mounting the fittings in a vice can help when assembling, same with cutting the hose.

When I put the fittings on the hose I lube the hose and the fittings with a special rubber hose lubricant made by Parker Valves (my dad works for a subsidiary of Parker so it happened to be around the house and is now around my house :wink: ). You can probably buy it or something similar from McMaster or possibly a speed shop that sells the hose and fittings.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:02 am

I always use a very slim abrasive cutoff wheel in a highspeed die grinder and wrap the hose with fiberglass filament tape first. This results in a very clean cut with no fraying. Make sure to blow out your hoses with compressed air afterwards. The little aluminum anodized AN wrenches are a joke imho, I've never seen a real race mechanic use them.

allessence

Postby allessence » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:31 am

So in other words, just use real wrenches instead of the alum ones.

Okay, so for the most part all AN- fittings/hoses are the same size wise.

8AN- fitting = 8an- hose.

Which hose for which fluids? Can teflon be used for all or is there a special oil/fuel only type of deal. Brake fluid being what it is would I need special brake fluid line?

What size fitting is the stock fuel pressure regulator on the 85 up?

I have thread gauges for both metric and standard. the problem comes when the fittings aren't pipe, or straight thread.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:41 pm

usually the hose manufacturers list what fluids are appropriate for use with their hoses. "XYZ Hose. A flexible money-generating hose developed by NASA. Withstands fuel, oil, and bear attacks. Used by Dale Jr. to simulate his corn rows. Guaranteed to add 4 hp"
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:57 pm

Oh yeah, Teflon hose can be used for fuel too, infact its actually better with todays alcohol fuel than the rubber hose. The fittings are a little more expensive and trickier to use but it might be worth the time and expense.

SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:07 pm

From wikipedia:

"AN sizes range from -2 (dash two) to -32 in irregular steps, with each step equating to the OD (outside diameter) of the tubing in 1/16" increments. Therefore, a -8 AN size would be equal to 1/2" OD tube (8 x 1/16 = 1/2). However, this system does not specify the ID (inside diameter) of the tubing because the tube wall can vary in thickness. Each AN size also uses its own standard thread size."

they are referring to solid tubing though, I believe a #8 AN braided line will not measure 1/2 inch OD.

Also those rubber hoses should work fine for alcohol fuels, as long as its synthetic rubber. At Bucky's we ran 100% methanol through them, but when we used nitromethane we would blow the fuel out with compressed air after the run.

As for hooking your new AN lines up to the oil pump housing, that may not be so easy. Maybe you can use the stock ends at the oil pump?

ms9000

Postby ms9000 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:18 am

Something I feel that was missed in this thread is that you always want to spend extra on quality fittings. Each time you remove a common AN fitting it gets worn fairly easily. I always am sure to buy quality Russell fittings and even then I think I would replace them all the next time I do another turbo swap. The cheaper fittings, such as "summit" brand fittings wear down quicker, and even though they claim they are high quality, we never seam to have any luck with them. Spend the extra couple of bucks! Russell isnt the only good brand, but just know what you are buying. :wink:

Maybe an exception if your bulding a car you dont expect to last long anyways. :twisted: I just assume that if you are buying AN fittings and SS hose that you are already investing a good amount of $$ into the project! This stuff isn't cheap!

-K

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:32 am

Good points, on the Russel fittings, Russel makes a line of hose ends and fittings that are their "Endura" finish, which I am almost positive are actually steel ends, and not aluminum ones, and hold up better to being loosened and tightened repeatedly, rather than the anodized aluminum ones.

The standard AN hose ends should be interchangeable between brands, and the Summit should match Aeroquip should match Russel, but be careful that you don't get into the specialty ends, there are some with different angles on the flare mating surface in the ends which will not interchange.

Check this place out, if for nothing more than a resource to get part numbers, adapter ideas, etc, pretty complete catalog:

http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/

Geoff, I have a buddy whose Dad works for Parker too, maybe you should look into trying to get some in-kind donations for your race effort for some of their quick disconnect hose ends which have self-sealing check valves in them? So you don't have to drain the oil to disconnect the oil cooler when pulling the engine, stuff like that. Their hose line is very extensive.

Jennifer, as was mentioned (forget who now) a set of thread pitch guages would be really handy, since in that site I listed above there is a pretty extensive list of metric-to-AN adapters. All you do is figure out the thread pitch, major diameter of the fitting, and what size -AN line you want to use, and off you go.

I'm sure I forgot something, but that's what I have for now. Sometimes on Saabnet (or some of the other sites that have been around a little longer) there will be a post by someone who put together an -AN line conversion listing the stock fittings and what adapters and how much line you need, what size they used, etc., but it's hit and miss as to what has been converted. Turbo oil feed lines seem the most common.

Best,
Drew
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”