starting a 900 project

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
laidlaw
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

starting a 900 project

Postby laidlaw » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:02 pm

Hey so i have a 85 900 16v turbo that i would like to build into a rally machine. I was wonding if anyone out there has had any major problems with this model.
Knife fight in a Phonebooth

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:16 pm

The only thing that comes to mind is the wiring harness on the 85's. The 85's 900's were the one year where Saab tried a different insulation on the wires and for whatever reason it tends to crumble. So this is a problem is you intend to run the stock fuel injection system.

Aside from that it all depends on how crazy or simple of a car that you want to build. We have discussed how easy it would be to build a stock class 900 to be competitive with. Aside from the safety equipment, a basic gravel suspension, and a good skid plate you wouldn't have to do much to the car.
I am the 73%

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:26 pm

Some more background info might be helpful... Just for example if you are new to rally you will find that you are unable to start off in Rally America event as a novice in a turbocharged car...

Otherwise 85 is a good suitable year except for the wiring issues, which can be dealt with. A well maintained and serviced 900 could certainly dominate the production 2wd class in the hands of a good driver. Going to open class (Group 5 or M1) means you can do a lot of fun things to make the car go faster but the expense becomes much higher, competition more fierce, and as speeds increase so does the likelyhood of breaking parts.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:33 pm

I used to use my '85 SPG as a TSD rally and occasional RallyX car.

The wiring harness was a pain because all the insulation decomposed (apparently it was soy-based that year). I used to go around once a year pulling off old insulation, cleaning the wires, and coating it with Plasti-Dip.

The other problem I had was that it had the earlier barrel-shaped motor mounts and the early front motor mount brackets. The motor mount brackets were forks and there were these tabbed washers that were supposed to hold the motor mount down in the forks. But when you start adding a little power and using solid motor mounts (necessary in a SAAB rallycross car to keep it in gear) the washers don't do their job and the motor mount hops out. After this happened the second time (which caused the left side drive shaft to get spit out of the inner tripod) I welded real washers in place of the tabbed washers. I had used lock washers and loctite on the bolt but I should have been using a longer bolt with a lock nut and possibly a safety wire to keep the nut from backing off.

Other than that its pretty much the same as any other 16V 900T. The ECU and distributor are different from other 16Vts though. I replaced my distributor and ignition wiring harness with one from a later car (with the better plug)
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

laidlaw
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby laidlaw » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:27 pm

right on thanks for the insight, Couple more qestions. Iam new to this and am having a hard time finding a complete set of rules on how to prep the car for different classes in Canadian Events. Also i have a tone of 9000 suspention part, i was thinking about taking the 900 suspention out and using the 9000 stuff, to get the vented rotors and it looked a bit more beefy, and suggestion on that (good or bad)?
Knife fight in a Phonebooth

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:19 pm

Ok here's what you do.

1. Find out what sanctioning body runs the events you would like to attend.
2. Go to said organizations website and download the regulations/rule book. It will be there... somewhere. Check out also specialstage.com, they have regional forums.
3. Read the rules and regulations several times.
4. Check bank account
5. Come back here and see if we ever get our rally prep manual done.

As for the 9000 suspension comments, that's a no go. Totally different set up and not nearly as strong or cheaply mod-able. 900s received vented rotors on Turbo (and S?) cars in '86 so its a fairly simple swap. I think it has been mentioned a few times on this board, so search the forum for it.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”