header install

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
hotrodlarry
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

header install

Postby hotrodlarry » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:17 pm

So I'm tryin to fit a MSS header into my 900. it ain't goin in.Seems that the 2 1/4" pipe is hitting the rack and pinion. Anyone have a good idea as to how to clear the rack? I got a feeling I'm gonna have to either adpat to a smaller pipe or cut the pipe real close to the collector and maybe get a piece bent or something.

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:55 pm

do you have the flange bolted to the head yet or can you not even do that because of the rack clearance issue?

JT

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:10 pm

Is the header for a 900 or a 99? Is your engine tweaked off its mounts or something?

hotrodlarry

Postby hotrodlarry » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:06 am

The issue with the rack is causing everything not to bolt up, plus chip my nice paint, darn it. I did think of taking a hammer to that part of the pipe, but I think I'd be better off rerouting everything around the rack. I do have a couple stock pipes that fit the car that I might have to use in case I can't come up with anything.

the car is a 900, pretty sure the header is for a 99. The flanges will bolt up, but right now they're off by about an inch or so, because of the pipe to rack issue.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:30 am

You need the MSS header designed for a 900, they are different even though the head flanges are the same. My co-driver might have one sitting around I could ask if he wants anymore.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:53 am

This is the header you got from Josh correct? if so I think I gave him that header a while ago. You could just cut part of it off and weld on a better fitting pipe as long as the pipe you are having clearance issues with is beyond the Y.
I am the 73%

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:55 am

Its definitly not a 99 header, MSS looked at it and told me it was a 900 race unit.

I'd say, if it looks like the thing will bolt up and exit the engine bay in the proper place after you nip off a bit of the tail..........then go ahead.

If you do that, can you use the "S" bend pipe that I gave you to clear the rack and center the exhaust. How about another similar "S" pipe of a different size/legnth? A local muffler shop could have a variety in stock.

JT

hotrodlarry

Postby hotrodlarry » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:31 am

Ok, so it's a 900 header, my bad.

It looks like everything will bolt up once I trim off the tail a little. I just didn't want to cut too much off it. I was looking at some options yesterday (working at a parts store does have its advantages) I may have to pick up a couple odd ball pieces with bends in them or something and see what I can make work.

Next question... where did we hide the welder? :lol:

hotrodlarry

Postby hotrodlarry » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:01 pm

I give up... Unless I either A) re-fab my motor mount or B) cut and reweld pipes.. this thing ain't gonna fit. I tried for a couple hours tonight. I hammered the pipes alot, cut the down pipe so it's pretty much at the collector, and took an angle grinder to the trans/motor mount. Even if I got it to fit, I wouldn't be able to bolt on the bracket that the power steering pump bolts to. Unless I modify that as well. Good news is I might end up with a nice side exit exhaust.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”