It's motivation time

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

It's motivation time

Postby Jordan » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:47 am

Progress report!

So how are we doing with our race/rally cars? When is next/first event you hope to compete? Mike W. ,Matt J., Groo, everybody... we want to hear from you! Post them pictures. What's next on your list? Lets hear the excuses!

For me. I'm setting up a workshop/getting organized as I finally have some garage space to keep my car and caché of parts.

Next up is to start dismantling the car in prep for repaint.

I don't have any car pictures that you all haven't seen yet.

I have an optimistic goal of being ready when the spring season starts in April.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:54 am

I have to tear the bike down and figure out why it is electrically dead. I need to have a new front wheel built and order new tires. I might put a new autoclutch assembly in but not sure yet. I am already entered into Sandblast and all paid up.

I also plan on ordering a leatt brace for this season....think Hans device for bikes.
I am the 73%

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:35 am

Ahh yes good thread.

Pinky are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Yes, we must get all the rally saabs finally built so that we can take over the world!

saab90089
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby saab90089 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:43 am

Luke wrote:Pinky are you pondering what I'm pondering?

And now for the side-tracking: I thought I was the only one who still remembers that show.

Ian
1-97 Impreza L wagon w/many mods--mine
1-C900 turbo w/290K--mine
4-C900 turbo's in various states--dads
1-Legacy wagon--dads
1-Forester--moms

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:52 am

Pinky are you thinking what I'm thinking? Narf! I think so Brain, but burlap chafes me so.
I am the 73%

Rallyho
Nickname: El Blanco
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Rallyho » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:01 pm

Well, let's see...I am trying to get the last fab projects on the shell done and clean the remaining tar goo from inside the car so it can go to paint between Christmas and New Years.

Then all that's left to do it everything!
Rallyho

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:13 pm

Hells friggin yeah............ the Swedish Armada!

I mentioned to Mongoswede bout a week ago that I hope to make some time to work on my 1980 99 this winter. It would be great to get it out cruisin again, I'm thinking of the Kearney Sprints. Wanted to get down there to last weeks event just to check it out but couldn't swing it.

I've never been able to get the wiring done for the 16vT and the cage needs some attention but is not really too far from reality. Its too easy to get distracted with other stuff like the stock 99 rally-x'er and the 900 iceracer. I will at this point have to do a lot basic stuff like brake, exhaust, etc. because it had been sitting for a couple years but should be possible. We'll see how much iceracing we get and what kind of time and $ is left over.

Luke: what do you have for a head pipe? I cut the end off a 900 turbo pipe and had a local muffler shop bend me up something that fit through the hole in the engine bay. It hangs way too low, never was able to keep it from getting all beat to hell and I'll need to start over with something that fits closer to the floor.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:45 pm

Josh,

I might have a head pipe for you. When I got the new turbo it had a v-band type coupler on the output so I made a new down pipe at that time, but i think I still have the wide radius 2.5" one for the stock turbo.

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:52 am

Sandblast is the goal...just got a Racetech 4009WTHR and 4009WHR on the way. Should be here by Xmas..and that's about the last thing I really need to do. I've got some sheets of UHMW on the way, but that's just detail stuff.

SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:48 am

I'd love to get the car done for olympus and oregon trail. i'd have be lucky to have the car done, but the safety equipment is totally killing me.

I just replaced the engine in my daily driver and put a 287 302 cam in it, and I love the way it winds out.. tomorrow start engine swap on dad's daily. at least we have a surplus of transmissions. :)

My biggest excuse is working on other stuff. My sisters 9000 just dyno'd 476 hp, and blew the head gasket. So we have been driving 2 hours each way to work on her car.

plenty of distractions!

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:00 pm

going to be a while for me though I am casually making progress

I Have--
The car (non sunroof non rusty 1993 2.1 liter 900-S (120K miles) with a blown trans)
Moneys
Welders
tow rig (though it only works if all 4 wheels of the towed car work!)
parts (probably have the equivalent of 5 900's worth of parts)
many many wheels
place to work on it (though not optimal, there is plenty of room)

you'll note that "time" was not there on the checklist. once and if that frees up, I'll get to building this. There is a possibility of there being a few free weeks this spring when (if I get some help) ;) we can toss a cage in the thing, get some safety equipment and seats in it, and have a nice starter car. I am also planning on milling the head down significantly to get more compression out of the n/a motor. Apparently 190 WHP is not out of the question :twisted:
Less brake more gas!

TRAILINGTHROTTLE
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby TRAILINGTHROTTLE » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:24 pm

we have taken several months off from the active building of our 900, but right after the first of the year, the new steering rack and gearbox(complete with Luke Sorensen signature edition rear cover) will be installed, making the car largely complete. im sure that having a working cogbox and a rack that dosent spray fluid out like a garden hose will get me excited enough to do the lights/mudflaps, spidplate, little odds/ends. by late spring i will have a complete rally car---for real this time. i now have a digital camera (soon i will get an automatic washing machine) so i will get some pics on here---for real this time. so how may saabs are going to be at rally wv this year?

edit: spidplate=skidplate

hotrodlarry

Postby hotrodlarry » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:41 pm

I don't have much to do on my 900.With roughly 3 months until the first practice day ( Apr 5th) here's the list.

-Replace lexan windshield with new pieces
-Remove stock gauge cluster and move aftermarket gauges to in front of the driver.
-Replace LF lower ball joint
-Install push button start and/or fix cylinder
-Relocate battery to trunk area

Here's the other ideas I have, if time permits.

-side exit exhaust
-make hinges for the hood
-send spare 8v head out for work, if budget allows
-find a good cam
-replace stock springs with racing springs

Not a bad list, considering It's usually me in the unheated garage one day a week or so.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”