Xmas Stripes

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
GRMPer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Xmas Stripes

Postby GRMPer » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:03 am

I applied some "LE" stripes to Odie yesterday.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/c ... 7-saab-99/

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:36 am

Just when I thought an antelope brown 99 could not be anymore 70's, you have found a way!

Also, that battery kill switch with the remote trigger is pretty neat, do you know if it is possible to wire up several kill switches to that same solenoid, some sanctioning body rules require a kill switch on the cowling by the hood... FIA I think, and that would be an easy way to mount one there.

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:44 am

Yes, you just run the switches in series...it (the car) only runs when that wire is connected to ground, so two switches would be easy. I've got a second switch with water proof cover, but I'm also thinking about getting one of those switch guards so that it doesn't get bumped.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:35 am

In regards to those trailer wiring harness plugs:
We used those on a friend's street/TSD car for the wiring for his 4 Hella 500s (55w bulbs). The plugs got REALLY hot. Apparently they weren't ready for that much current. So keep an eye on that when you hook up lights. You may find that you have to switch to a more robust plug :? I know he switched to some plug that came with dielectric grease in them. I think they were made by 3M...
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:45 am

Per, how does the steering wheel angle feel with the race seats? One thing I did was to lower the steering wheel angle slightly by adding an extra universal joint right on the steering rack (I found that the upper universal from a 900 with airbags has the exact same spline as the 99 lower one) I just welded the universal to the bottom of the stock steering rod and got rid of the rag joint. Then I shortened the forward-most column brackets and put spacers under the rear ones to change the angle of the steering wheel to better suit the lower race seating postion. Just a thought if the angle feels weird. Also later 99's in europe 84+? had the angle lowered from the factory, so some people have bought those columns and bolted them right in.

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:28 pm

Well, I just got the driver's seat in this evening. The angle of the steering wheel is fine, if a little bus-like. I like it. The seating position for me is lower than the factory, but not on the floor as much as I'd ultimately like. I had to mount the racetechs so that the side mount's "L"s face inwards, not outwards, so there's a limit as to how low they can go w/o hitting the bolts that mount those to the cross rails on the car. If the L's faced outwards, the whole seat assembly is too wide. 4009WTHRs are friggin wide.

I used those same plugs on compact 4000s (100w) and had no heat issues. Hmm..I'll keep an eye on them. Certainly they've got to be better than the shitty little spade connector they came with?

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:22 am

seats/belts are in..drove it to work today. Pics on site.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:57 am

Semi-unrelated, you list the wheel bolt pattern for the '74 LE as 4x100 and it's 4x114.3 ( 4.5")

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:10 pm

Ok, I'll change that. Our web guy (not me anymore woohoo!) worked that up.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:40 pm

On a related note, the seats look good. When are you getting the dif installed?

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:14 am

after Sandblast. I'm decided to wait for that until I had one event with an open diff (an editorial 'reason' to go for the 1k LSD). This next month will be shakedown stuff, dyno testing and an exhaust system.

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:08 pm

editoral? I can sum that up in a sentence: Open diff is crap, long live LSD!! :D
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:20 am

GRMPer wrote:after Sandblast. I'm decided to wait for that until I had one event with an open diff (an editorial 'reason' to go for the 1k LSD). This next month will be shakedown stuff, dyno testing and an exhaust system.

very noble of you.....but if I were you I would not choose sandblast as the event to set the open diff benchmark. 1 wheel drive in the deep sand might prove to be problematic. I will be running 1 wheel drive...but on a bike :D The good news is they did get rid of the one stage that caused 4 or 5 cars to get stuck within sight of one another last year. However, this year we bikes will be running the stages first and the roads will be that much more torn up before you get to them...also being that this is your first event you will be in the back of the pack where the ruts will be the worst. I'd vote for the diff install.
I am the 73%

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:07 am

I smell what you're saying..I'll start working on the spare engine/tranny so that if I do have some time, it'll go in. But, I'd rather have a known 1-wheel drive rather than an unknown 2-wheel drive. I've actually got similar roads around here that I can 'test' on.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:37 am

As long as they don't run that one deep stage I think open diff will be manageable. That was the only stage that was really bad, otherwise its just all about momentum :D

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”