lsd

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:32 pm

Is anyone here pursuing a less expensive source for clutch diffs than Sweden? Also, there is a Sellholm distributor in CA -- has anyone contacted him?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:22 am

It was being worked on a few years ago, before the Sellholm diff was available. The plan didn't end up getting followed through for various reasons but it dosen't mean that it couldn't be done.

I don't think anyone has contacted the US Sellholm distributor. I found this info for him:
Johna Ekstrom 650 544 4642 Apparently he is always very busy so if anyone calls they'd better mean business :-)

Maybe I'll give a ring to enquire.
Luke, you didn't get any feeling from Jorgen that his price was any different than if someone were to buy straight from Sellholm? I know they said they wouldn't make more until Jorgen sold out of his. It just might be a little easier to deal with someone in the country than out of the country. Do you remember how much the shipping was from Sweden?

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:47 am

Jorgen farmed out the machining to Sellholm but the design rights belong to Jorgen and thus you have to get them through him. I think there was a little misunderstanding between selholm and Jorgen about this. He got a little upset at me for even telling people that Sellholm produced it (it was stamped on the side of mine though!)

Shipping was about $90 iirc
Last edited by Luke on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rallyho
Nickname: El Blanco

Postby Rallyho » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:51 am

Prepare for thread-jacking....do any of these contacts have access to R&P sets? IMHO gearing is especially important for the NA slaabs out there.
Rallyho

Hans

Postby Hans » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:50 am

Rallyho wrote:Prepare for thread-jacking....do any of these contacts have access to R&P sets? IMHO gearing is especially important for the NA slaabs out there.
I was told that the big rings on the S&R boxes are off-the-shelf from some rear drive trans, and the pinions are custom-made. Sorry, no details. You might call Rob @ Scanwest and see if he can help you out.

Interesting info on the Selholm/Jorgen diffs -- I emailed the American Selholm contact some time ago (~2 years??) and he'd told me at the time that they were still in development. May be worth contacting him again...

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:25 pm

I was just looking at Vince Tong’s website (ultraviremotorsports) and one of the diff lockers he sells locks the diff 100%, basically creating a welded diff ($265) or at least from what I understand. The other one puts more and more pressure on the spider gears the more the tightening bolt is tightened ($425). That way you can check the break-away torque at the axle and adjust to get it where you want. Of course as the thrust washers wear the bolt will have to be tightened more. This is different than the Phantom Grip which applies the same pressure to the spider gears as the thrust washers wear but isn't adjustable to get more lockup.

I'm still undecided as to whether its worth it to go with a welded/locked diff or get a real diff from Jorgen. I'll probably end up going with the Jorgen diff eventually...

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:50 pm

I think a welded diff would be ok for ice racing or a dirt track car but rally cars end up being driven on the street a lot and that could be really hard on the diff case. Another thing is a welded diff in a front wheel drive car could cause really bad off throttle oversteer as the engine acts as a brake on both wheels, although even an LSD has this effect to some extent.

Save your pennies its worth it!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:57 pm

Don't forget that you can buy the Quaiffe for $1200 which I think would be an excellent alternative to the Jorgen Unit. it may not be a good on gravel as the clutch pack design but its going to be far better then an open diff or a phantom grip...or even a welded diff which is just an invitation to blow up your transmission.
I am the 73%

Hans

Postby Hans » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:02 pm

I just bought a Quaife and am waiting to have it installed (on an autocrosser). The install is not trivial. See saabcentral.com @ the 900 performance board for more info. Scanwest will be installing mine (on the bench).

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:42 pm

That sounds like standard operating procedure for saab LSD's, both the original saab diff and jorgen diff have to be split apart to install. Other than that is just a matter of setting the bearing preload and then the backlash.

allessence
Nickname: allessence

Postby allessence » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:16 pm

So, what would be needed to get an LSD in the works here? I have looked at Jorgens units which are really nice. A little pricey though. With all the availble units (GM, Ford,etc) I would think there must be an alternitive that would work?

From what I understand the Quaife units only work if both tires are on the ground. I have Detroit Truetrac ( http://www.eatonperformance.com/differe ... etrac.html) in the front axle of my truck and recently I had one of the outer hubs fail. What this meant was only 2wheel drive. Can't plow the snow with only 2 wheel drive.

Anyhow, There must be a better way to go. And I'll be looking for one come summer time.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:15 pm

We have been researching transmissions and LSD's. Based on the costs around building or having a unit built, the cost of buying looks a lot more attractive...unless of course you can build a reliable unit and sell a bunch. I believe that luke found that his Jorgen unit didnt do much when he broke one CV joint...though it should have...perhaps it needs a different clutch or spring combo?
I am the 73%

Rallyho
Nickname: El Blanco

Postby Rallyho » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:46 pm

My lsd is allegedly one of the S&R parts. it's casing has been milled out on the inside to allow an additional pair of clutch discs and plates (one on either side of the spidery wheels). It's shimmed up wicked hawd guy...and while I never had to come in on one fr wheel, but I can tell you it was like driving a car with a locked diff. Especially without power steering...makes you strong like bull.
Rallyho

allessence
Nickname: allessence

Gripper LSD

Postby allessence » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:31 pm

Supposedly Auburn gear has a unit that can go from LSD to full lock with a flick of a button. I guess this would come in hand if you broke a CV.

Has anyone ever used the Gripper diff's from england? I have contacted them (Tom) and they were very interested in making up some units.

1 unit would be £850.00=1638.97USD plus shipping

5 Units £500.00=964.10 USD Plus shipping.

http://www.racecar.co.uk/gripper/

From what I understand they produce a fairly good unit. I have no expereince with LSD's but I'm sure we could specify what kind of clutch ramps angles we wanted as well as clutch packs.

Current ramp angles available are 30/65, 40/65, 45/45.

Tom said he would label the units so as to cost less for customs.

Any thoughts? Anyone interested?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:52 pm

looks similiar to the selholm unit...as I recall at least. Price for 5 sounds reasonable.

internals:

I am the 73%

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”