oil filter alternative

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
hotrodlarry
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

oil filter alternative

Postby hotrodlarry » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:40 pm

Anyone have experience using a larger oil filter? This subject was brought up on another Saab forum and I wanted to see what you guys thought of it. I've tried to research some at work, but haven't really had time.

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:04 pm

Try searching "remote filter" or "bypass filter" @ Saabnet's Performance board -- "chrisx" has a number of posts there about a remote filter set-up he uses (used?) on a c900. He may also have posted on the c900 board.

saab90089
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby saab90089 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:38 pm

I recall years ago......like when I was 16....the stock oil filters were larger. I was told that all the oil companies that made that size oil filter made them smaller. So same stock # but they just changed the physical size of it.

This is what I remember anyway.

ian
1-97 Impreza L wagon w/many mods--mine
1-C900 turbo w/290K--mine
4-C900 turbo's in various states--dads
1-Legacy wagon--dads
1-Forester--moms

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:15 pm

I have an OLD saab "long life" filter that is physically about 2X larger than the typical filter you'd get today. Not sure, but I think the filter may interfere with the A/C clearance of the old (1986) 9000's. I seem to recall (years ago) having an issue with some oil filter that just didn't fit on an 87 9000.
Less brake more gas!

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:52 pm

The oil filter on the SAAB is the common as dirt 3/4-16 so there are lots of filters available that will fit on. The big filters used to fit great on the b-motors where the filter was down low with a lot more room around it, the H motor dosent leave much room for a larger filter.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:14 am

Luke wrote:The oil filter on the SAAB is the common as dirt 3/4-16 so there are lots of filters available that will fit on. The big filters used to fit great on the b-motors where the filter was down low with a lot more room around it, the H motor dosent leave much room for a larger filter.

John Wirt told me a filter from a Nissan Quest is a larger filter that fits. Having some extra time I did a comparison. Looked to be the same thread and gasket diameter. It was about an 1 1/2 inch longer but the same dia. :twisted: mind out of the gutter... I think the best bet is to spend an extra $2-3 to buy a good filter. SAE did a test about 10 years ago and rated Purlator Pure as the top rated. Fram brought up the rear.

TRAILINGTHROTTLE
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby TRAILINGTHROTTLE » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:05 pm

not that anyone cares, but i use K&N oil filters on all of my crap(i think its the HP-1002)?). they have four novel features compared to other filters that i have used.
1. that bitchin' 1" nut on the end

2. safety wire hole...come on, thats just cool, and excellently visible on a c900

3. that anti-drainback spring-loaded flapper door thingie, which matt joseph has proven without a doubt actually works

4. the fact that the oil actually has to go through the filter elements, which for most oil filter manufactures would be a revolutionary concept(i know that the relief valve thing in the block can still bypass it)

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:20 pm

A bigger filter isn't always better, unless you're using the same brand/make of filter. I always use the Mann filters in SAABs. I think they used to be the OEM filter before GM found a cost savings. You used to be able to look inside the Mann and the SAAB-brand filters and they looked identical inside. Now with the GM filter you don't see that nice spring inside...

For a while I was buying filters from a former Volvo dealer. The Volvo filters were the same as the larger ones that SAAB used to sell (before the 9000). The dealer was clearing them out super cheap because they no longer had a Volvo service department. :wink:
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”