Big brake kit for 9000 Aero?

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
ms9000

Big brake kit for 9000 Aero?

Postby ms9000 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:19 am

Hello,

I have a 9000 and im looking to upgrade my brakes. Im in need of some major stopping power! I had always planned on getting the AP racing kit 330mm with 6 piston calipers from Abbott Racing but now with the exchange rates that puts the kit over $3,000!!! The kits offered from speedparts is smaller then what I am looking for.

Ideally I want to get a kit to be fitted under 18" wheels. 6 piston calipers. I was reffered to a company out of OR that makes custom kits but again its nearing $2500. Im OK to spend this sort of money but I am assuming it could be pieced together much cheaper. Custom rotors? Ordering calipers direct from wilwood? I already have the SS line portion covered.

Help is appreciated. My car has 500+hp and the stopping power is greatly needed.

Thanks in advance,
ms9000.

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby matt » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:49 am

I require pictures of said vehicle.
Did you look at SSBC? (stainless steel brake company???)
The only options I saw when I had a 9000 were speedparts and abbott.
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:45 am

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/814237/1

Kaylan is no joke! :aieee:

www.revolutionbrake.com is the one that makes the c900 kits with the wilwood calipers, beyond that i dunno.

Paul

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: Big brake kit for 9000 Aero?

Postby squaab99t » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:31 am

ms9000 wrote:Hello,

I have a 9000 and im looking to upgrade my brakes. Im in need of some major stopping power! I had always planned on getting the AP racing kit 330mm with 6 piston calipers from Abbott Racing but now with the exchange rates that puts the kit over $3,000!!! The kits offered from speedparts is smaller then what I am looking for.

Ideally I want to get a kit to be fitted under 18" wheels. 6 piston calipers. I was reffered to a company out of OR that makes custom kits but again its nearing $2500. Im OK to spend this sort of money but I am assuming it could be pieced together much cheaper. Custom rotors? Ordering calipers direct from wilwood? I already have the SS line portion covered.

Help is appreciated. My car has 500+hp and the stopping power is greatly needed.

Thanks in advance,
ms9000.

I recently bought the Revolution big brake kit for my 900c. 302 mm rotors with 4 pot calipers and aluminum hats. You can buy most everything from Wilwood but you do know what to buy. When you buy the kit you are buying the engineering and not just a bunch of parts. I'm not saying you can't figure it out. It will take time and effort to engineer, mock-up, talk to Wilwood or Brembo and shag all the parts.

ms9000

Postby ms9000 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:05 am

Paul- Thanks for your advice earlier and dont think I ignored it! I am going to be contacting that company sometime this week and get an exact quote. I just thought that maybe a cheaper route could be found. :D

squaab- Thanks for the pictures! Paul had actually linked me to a thread on SC and it must have been for your car.

I dont see why someone doesnt buy a kit, and get all the part #'s off the parts so others car buy things cheaper! Im assuming everything would be stamped with a manufactures part # though. Maybe someone could confirm part #'s are on wilwood calipers and brembo rotors?

-Kaylan Marie

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:38 am

ms9000 wrote:I dont see why someone doesnt buy a kit, and get all the part #'s off the parts so others car buy things cheaper! Im assuming everything would be stamped with a manufactures part # though. Maybe someone could confirm part #'s are on wilwood calipers and brembo rotors?

-Kaylan Marie

You should volunteer! :wink:
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:03 am

Best bet would be to request the CAD drawings for an off the shelf rotor and caliper that you want to use from the manufacture(wilwood etc) and then have a friend who is good with CAD take the relevant measurements from the cars hubs and wheel (if you have aftermarket wheels, CAD drawings may be available from the manufacture) . Then you can build an assembly and figure out what the hat dimension and caliper adapters will have to look like, and make sure the whole assembly will clear. Then you can export the files and find a shop that will CNC the hats and adapters for you. It probably won't be worth their time (or would be very expensive) unless you are have a bunch of sets done at once.

Here is an article from a company in the UK that makes custom brakes. They also sell undrilled hats in various dimensions that you can just take to your machinist to have drilled with the correct bolt pattern and centerbore, which is a neat idea. http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/pdf/designing_4_pot_brakes.pdf

I could go for a set of custom 2 piece rotors for the 79-87 900 that held a slightly thicker rotor of the same diameter, but the std vented ones with wilwood calipers work so well and are so darn cheap its hard to justify.

ms9000

Postby ms9000 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:25 pm

Could I order a brake kit for a newer model c900 and expect it to fit properly?

I have 18" 2008 saab Inca wheels. I dont expect I could get cad drawings of those?

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:02 pm

ms9000 wrote:Could I order a brake kit for a newer model c900 and expect it to fit properly?

I have 18" 2008 saab Inca wheels. I dont expect I could get cad drawings of those?

I would say yes, but do you have those 5 lug nut wheels? Did you leave the original axles. Is there some funky plate/stud converter?
They will send you a template of the rotor/caliper profile to see if it fits in your wheels. With 18s you should clear. Vince T put 330 mm 4 pots in his 17" OZ cronos, but that is with the dynalite caliper and not the newer superlite setup.

As for the CAD drawings for the Incas since you have those you can measure them and create the model.

SaabsBreakDown

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:02 pm

squaab99t wrote:I would say yes, but do you have those 5 lug nut wheels? Did you leave the original axles. Is there some funky plate/stud converter?
They will send you a template of the rotor/caliper profile to see if it fits in your wheels. With 18s you should clear. Vince T put 330 mm 4 pots in his 17" OZ cronos, but that is with the dynalite caliper and not the newer superlite setup.

As for the CAD drawings for the Incas since you have those you can measure them and create the model.
She has Speedparts Wheel adapters that go on the existing hub/rotor. I think the CAD route is the best idea but templates would work great too.

Does anyone know what kind of wilwood caliper that is? Would be helpful to get close before we ask for the CAD files.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:13 pm

Thats a superlite. Its a nice caliper, a little more rigid than the dynalite and has an even larger pad. The downside for rally is the external cross-over tube that is liable to get ground through in short order and fact that they don't clear SAAB 15" wheels without spacers. They easily clear the 15" Panasport wheels I have though.

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:14 pm

SaabsBreakDown wrote:She has Speedparts Wheel adapters that go on the existing hub/rotor. I think the CAD route is the best idea but templates would work great too.

Does anyone know what kind of wilwood caliper that is? Would be helpful to get close before we ask for the CAD files.

i think theyre superlites, not sure of specs beyond that. and kaylan, the late c900 brake setups should fit fine on your car, since you can easily swap your brakes onto a late c900. unless theres some sort of weird clearance issue with the larger calipers, but i'd say thats very unlikely.

Paul

ms9000

Postby ms9000 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:31 pm

Thanks for the info guys!

I got my brake situation sorted out today. Im going to have 6 piston 336mm front brakes. Drilled/slotted with SS lines. It should work out nicely. They are going to be a new kit offered out by SPEEDPARTS sweden soon. Im guessing mine is going to be the first 9000 thats going to get this special treatment from them. :) Red calipers with "SPEEDPARTS" should fit nicely. :wink: :D

-ms9000

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”