Does anyone have a parts list for a c900 engine RR?

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
snipes

Does anyone have a parts list for a c900 engine RR?

Postby snipes » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:35 am

part numbers and pricing would be helpful just so I can start looking at how much money I will need.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:07 pm

When you say R&R what exactly is your end goal? Is this a turbo or non turbo? are you rebuilding to stock or building for power and torque?

without knowing any details its hard to give you any real numbers but a great source for parts is www.eeuroparts.com.

Expect to spend a couple hundred on parts and gaskets. If your engine isnt blowing boat loads of oil you can probably have a good hone job done and put new rings in the engine. It wouldnt hurt to replace the main bearings.

then all the gaskets and seals etc. water pump maybe, turbo if necesary etc etc.
I am the 73%

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:08 pm

I agree with most of that, but keep in mind that a lot of what eeuroparts sells is aftermarket trash not fit for a Daewoo. Stuff like their cheapest hydraulic motor mounts, aftermarket radiator hoses, and cheapest C-900 ball joints are probably worse than the broken components you'd be replacing... Some stuff is well worth buying OEM (not just the cheapest stuff you can find), and sometimes you just have to go to the dealer.

Also stuff like internal engine components are not created equal. Make sure that the parts you use are at least as good quality as OEM parts would be.
Less brake more gas!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:22 pm

DeLorean wrote:I agree with most of that, but keep in mind that a lot of what eeuroparts sells is aftermarket trash not fit for a Daewoo. Stuff like their cheapest hydraulic motor mounts, aftermarket radiator hoses, and cheapest C-900 ball joints are probably worse than the broken components you'd be replacing... Some stuff is well worth buying OEM (not just the cheapest stuff you can find), and sometimes you just have to go to the dealer.

Also stuff like internal engine components are not created equal. Make sure that the parts you use are at least as good quality as OEM parts would be.

Usualy eeuroparts offers a range of parts at different prices. He usualy has a cheap aftermarket alternative, a mid priced alternative, and then the stock Saab parts. So far I have not had any trouble with anything I have gotten from them and I have bought lots of stuff from them over the last several years. But like anything you have to be the educated buyer and not just go for the cheapest option every time.

Oh and one other thing. Now that Saab is solely GM I have been getting many reports of the Pre 93 Saab parts being thrown out and no longer available for through the dealers....also heard that this is starting to happen with the 98 and earlier cars too.
I am the 73%

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:04 pm

aah, yes the rings. I get a set of those from them that came in a box with no markings except "made in poland" they lasted for 6 months before they had more blow by than the rings I replaced. Don't waste time and money on inferior engine components.
Less brake more gas!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:29 pm

I forget who it was on Turbo! but someone used to warn against buying rebuilt CV joints in general. Apparently they just swap the balls around to realign the tolerances, clean em up, put a new boot on and resell. I have had good luck just with junkyard axles and I think John dennis tried swapping the balls around in one of his bad ones and it worked well....makes sense. It doesnt cost anything other then the time and you will know right off whether it worked or not.
I am the 73%

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:04 am

Crazyswede wrote:I forget who it was on Turbo! but someone used to warn against buying rebuilt CV joints in general. Apparently they just swap the balls around to realign the tolerances, clean em up, put a new boot on and resell. I have had good luck just with junkyard axles and I think John dennis tried swapping the balls around in one of his bad ones and it worked well....makes sense. It doesnt cost anything other then the time and you will know right off whether it worked or not.

yup ive done that before, just clean em out real good, and if theres noticeable wear, swap the parts with some better ones. much much better and cheaper than rebuilt axles.

Paul

xassh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby xassh » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:13 pm

Crazyswede wrote:Also stuff like internal engine components are not created equal. Make sure that the parts you use are at least as good quality as OEM parts would be.

prices certainly are being multiplied as items are discontinued. i doubt that parts are being 'thrown out'.

and about the eeuro radiator/heater hoses. my rad. hoses all... fit, but i was not exactly completely comfortably they would last the 15+ years that the hoses coming off would last.

the heater hoses are a complete joke. all the part numbers were correct, but several do not fit, anywhere, on my '92 c900. i think there was just one heater hose that was correct. i felt lucky, for that was the one that really needed replacement.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:08 am

the rad hoses that eeuroparts sells are absolute garbage. I'd put a set of 20 year old OEM hoses on my car before I'd use that "Mackay" stuff they sell.
Less brake more gas!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:45 pm

So when you get bad or wrong parts from EEuroparts or other places do you call them back up and let them know or ask about getting a refund? Or at least let them know that what they are selling is no good?
I am the 73%

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:16 pm

yep, I returned the blown "rebuilt" drive axles and they refunded me. Rad hoses too. They are at least good at refunding when they send shit parts. Also, not sure if this was due to quality control or price but I noticed that fairly recently they stopped selling the "rebuilt" drive axles alltogether, and they are now selling China-made NEW drive axles for quite a reasonable price. The claim on them is that they are non serviceable, and when a failure occurs they must be replaced as a unit and can not be rebuilt. I wonder how those do, but I would not want to be a tester...
Less brake more gas!

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”