dyno numbers for CIS B-motors (na)

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:55 pm

If you tell them that power is directly proportional to the number of tabs of Acid you drop before driving the car they tend to let it go.
I am the 73%

TRAILINGTHROTTLE
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby TRAILINGTHROTTLE » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:02 pm

im thinking about getting a front plate before rally wv that reads
"NO LSD", but thats more than just a little off subject.

GRMPer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby GRMPer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:52 pm

Ok, in the quest for more power (no matter what the actual measurement is) I started playing around a little bit with the timing and watching it advance as RPM builds. Does anybody have an idea what the optimal total advance (static + centrifugal) for a NA B-series? Stock static is 20 degrees, but that puts the total about at 40 (or way off the tick marks on the flywheel.) that sounds a bit high to me.

edit: oooh..goes out to check to see what RPM that static timing is set at!...

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:06 pm

Does your vac advance work on the distributer? It should retard (relative) the static timing as the throttle opens. I had to clean mine out and lube it up since it was sticky. 8) Stock, I think static with vac advance off it supposed to be 24degrees at 2000 rpm. I can't help you on a tuned setting unfortunately.

edit: 24 degrees then.
Last edited by Jordan on Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GRMPer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby GRMPer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:58 pm

Yea, I think I found the problem Houston...I was 20 at 1k (idle)

I will work on that when I get back from WA/OR/CA next week.

It's a vacuum advance on my 77...not sure which (or if) Saabs had vacuum retard like old Volvos.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:53 am

Right, well as the throttle open the pressure goes up towards atmospheric and the timing retards. Often time either the diaphragm is broken or the ball bearing (if you can call it that) that the advance rides on gets corroded. But when you check the timing it needs to be unhooked and the vac line plugged.

Speaking of which, did you install electronic ignition? "Per"tronix or other?

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:50 am

GRMPer wrote:Yea, I think I found the problem Houston...I was 20 at 1k (idle)

I will work on that when I get back from WA/OR/CA next week.

It's a vacuum advance on my 77...not sure which (or if) Saabs had vacuum retard like old Volvos.

Timing with the vacuum line connected should be around 36-38 at 2000 rpm or about 24 with vacuum line disconnected.
I've noticed the 8 valves seem to like a little more advance than the 16v's, probably oweing to the less ideally located plug and thus a little slower burn.

ric
Nickname: ric
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby ric » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:06 pm

Hi !
I don´t know what restrictions you have and I do belive that you know more about tuning then I do. In sweden I spoked with many people that uses 2.0l 16 valve engines and they claim to have up to 200 bhp
with fuelinjectionsystems not carburetors. The std saabs with 2.0 16v are around 130 bhp. I belive it´s on the crank.
On the other hand I don´t know if the 200 bhp people have tried there cars on a dyno, maybe they only have the neon lights and 6" end of the exhaust a lot of wonderbaum and loked to much on the fast n furious :)
SAAB är bäst

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”