changing jackshaft

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
GRMPer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

changing jackshaft

Postby GRMPer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:49 pm

again with the stupid (for Saab nuts) questions...

the 'new' engine/tranny has the later (worse) drive gear on the distributor. How much of a pain is it to swap that if I've got the engine out already. any tricks to making it go smoother?

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:05 am

With the engine out its not that hard. Just follow instructions in the book. A local mechanic used to hole saw the firewall and pull them out that way too... sounds like a pain in the arse.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:08 am

You need a complete matched set of the earlier stuff (maybe you have that in the existing engine?). Remove the main pulley/harmonic balancer and the timing cover from the end of the engine. Remove the sprocket from the jackshaft and remove the timing chain. Remove the 3 allen key bolts that hold the plate that holds the jack shaft in. Remove the jack shaft. Remove the distributor and drive the tension pins out and replace the gear. Use a water pump puller to remove the water pump. Rebuild the water pump using the earlier shaft. Install the distributor and waterpump (using the special tool). Install the jack shaft. The rest is pretty much reverse of removal except you need to reset your timing chain tensioner.

I think that's it. I may have forgotten some details though :-)
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:58 am

I just did all of that to Big Zed in the fall. Good luck getting the timing cover off without killing the head gasket. I saw Seth take the cover off of an H motor a few times with out breaking it a while back but it was a new gasket. Mine was old and I wasn't as lucky but at least now I know I have a good HG. I recall there being some pain in the arse issue with my tentioner as well. Also If you can find good guides ahead if time it it could help, you may find you need them when you get it all apart.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:03 am

The scarcity of timing guides is becoming more of an issue than anything else on the b-motor. If you come across a good pair hold on to them.

Sounds like a PITA...wouldn't it be easier to just pull the motor?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:07 am

When I mess up the head gasket in that area I usually dope it up with Loctite 518. I figure the head gasket isn't under extreme pressures from compression in that area. I use 518 there (and everywhere on B engines) to ensure a good seal even if I don't mess up the head gasket.

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Re: changing jackshaft

Postby 99Super » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:41 am

GRMPer wrote:again with the stupid (for Saab nuts) questions...

the 'new' engine/tranny has the later (worse) drive gear on the distributor. How much of a pain is it to swap that if I've got the engine out already. any tricks to making it go smoother?

Wait a second, just what are you trying to do? I may be missing some older posts, but just swapping the distibutor gear is easy. Pull the dist, punch out the roll pin (PITA), swap gear, replace.
However, you may run into a problem securing the dist (i.e., a 78 dist on a 76 block or vv...)
If you are updating the entire system to the 8-cog, then you pull the jackshaft LAST and install it FIRST. I don't think you can pull it if the WP and Dist are still in place.

john

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:46 am

I need (or should) backdate the jackshaft/wp/distributor to the earlier style on an engine this currently out of the car, so I was just asking for a rundown on the process. thanks!

99Super

Postby 99Super » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:12 am

Do you have all the bits you need? I'm dumping a bunch of my B-motor stuff and may still have a coarse set laying around...

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:35 pm

well, I'd like to get another set so I don't cannibalize a good motor that I have....email me...per at grassrootsmotorsports.com

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:06 pm

I'm pretty sure I've pulled the jack shaft before pulling the waterpump. This prevented any fears that the water pump would be damaged pulling it past the jack shaft (when both had to come out anyway).

And I'm pretty sure I put the shaft in after I put the water pump back in for the same reason...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a few years.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:44 pm

I have no way to prove you didn't, so I guess I have to believe you! :D

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:20 pm

Luke wrote:A local mechanic used to hole saw the firewall and pull them out that way too...

That sounds like a "Bill Moser" to me ;)
Less brake more gas!

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”