1991 Turbo / Automatic springs

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

1991 Turbo / Automatic springs

Postby DeLorean » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:31 pm

So my 1991 now that it's converted to a manual seems to be sitting about 2" higher than it did... Checked EPC, and yep, the turbo/automatic springs are indeed different.

Anyway, the car is used for road use, it almost feels tipsy! anyone think I'm crazy to cut a coil out to correct how high it's sitting? Anyone have any other suggestions? The thing rides nice off road and the thing is very hard to bottom out, but it's sitting so high the on road / highway performance is not acceptable, and the alignments off too... So, should I break out the saw?
Less brake more gas!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:47 pm

I wouldn't cut a coil, I would just find some spg springs or some non auto springs to put in. Coil cutting will lower your car but its really not the greatest thing to do.
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:04 pm

I wouldn't see a problem in cuttin your springs. You could just cut half a coil off the top and bottom and since they sit in those rubber spacer the ends don't really make much of a difference. Worst case scenario you don't like them and replace them with something else anyway.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:14 pm

that was what I was thinking... The stiffness is not really an issue it does ride pretty smooth with these and it did before the conversion too, but sat at the correct height with the extra heft of the automatic. They are not progressive rate springs being that it's an OG 900 so removing a coil should only affect ride height. (or am I not thinking right?)

I actually have a set of SPG front springs, but all the rear ones I have are sagged out. It would probably have a rather funny stance with front SPG springs and stock turbo/automatic rear springs. Also keep in mind this was a $100 car, I'd prefer not to spend $200+ on springs.
Less brake more gas!

saab90089
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby saab90089 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:07 pm

I knew 1 guy out here that cut 1 coil off of his springs instead of paying for springs. As far as I know this did not cause any issues.

I understand it's not the best practice in the world but why not give it a try.

Ian
1-97 Impreza L wagon w/many mods--mine
1-C900 turbo w/290K--mine
4-C900 turbo's in various states--dads
1-Legacy wagon--dads
1-Forester--moms

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:12 pm

They are linear rate springs, but removing a coil will change the spring rate along with lowering the ride height. I made a calc a while ago and we had some measurements of stock spring coils to use. I think you would be fine though losing a whole coil. The stock springs are very long.

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:16 pm

For a cheap-o car, I'd say cut 'em, but don't cut the bottom ends. Saab springs have a "dead" coil at each end -- they are wound flat -- to allow the springs to sit properly in their perches.

Additionally, if you cut off a dead coil, you will change the ride height without appreciably changing the rate.

Also, the ratio between the ride height and the spring compressed length is 2:1 in the front, and, for all intents and purposes, 1:1 in the rear. IOW, change the compressed length a half-inch up front and you'll change the ride height by 1 inch; cut off a half-inch in the rear and you'll change the ride height by a half-inch.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:40 am

My co-driver used to have a SAAB 900. He bought it with a bad tranny and put a new 5 spd in it. He cut the springs on the front and it made a nice difference in the handling for zero cost.
My experience is that SPG springs actually raise the rear of the car a bit. They are similar free length but are much stiffer than std springs.
Also, using only the front SPG springs with std rears results in a very nice balance for rougher roads.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:03 pm

So I guess the saw is coming out then! I figure if I don't like the ride or height with the cut springs I can always pop in some front SPG springs.
Less brake more gas!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:55 pm

wierd, I didn't know that about the front springs.
My former daily driver was an '86 notchback automatic that I put SPG springs with spacers (1" of spacers in the front, about 1.5" in the rear - all I could fit). It felt like getting into a truck. It felt tall but it still took just about the same speed as the 9K Aero (with the same tires on both cars).

Cutting your springs will increase the spring rate - even if you're cutting the squared end of the coil (squared is the term that refers to the last coil being turned towards the previous coil for a flat end). But you may like the way it handles. Personally I'd just add some spacers to the rear :twisted:
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”