Awh man, blew another transmission

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
allessence
Nickname: allessence
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby allessence » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:07 pm

Nate wrote:
Raul wrote: Did you rebuild that tranny? Seems like you haven't placed spacers correctly. It is very critical, we are talking about 0.1mm tolerance.

The newer boxes have a scary tight tolerance. When I rebuilt mine I was .0005 over the tolerance. Close enough I would think.

What tolerances are you guys talking about? (Nate/Raul)?

Just about all the gear boxes I have ever seen are loose as a goose inside. The only really critical measurements are pinion depth/backlash and the shims for second gear location (these are the shims directly under reverse gear). (other than bearing preloads, etc)

From what I understand the looseness is for heat expansion of the gearsets.

The only really tight boxes I have ever seen is when someone goes in and doesn't measure the shims on the pinion/reverse gear and this loads the front pinion bearing with axial load and fries the pinion end bearing. But this is very rare.

So, where are you guys reading these tolerances?
Okay, so I'm female and like SAAB's go figure. Mind you, I like a good set of strappy sandal's just about as much though they don't take you thru the corners as fast. LOL

Rosie: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... =Jennifers

Nate
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby Nate » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:23 pm

I'm talking about the second gear location I think, it's been a while since I rebuilt mine. You have to measure the distance between the pinion nut and the front of the main case. With the older boxes the tolerance is .004" and with new ones it's like .001". All of this is according to the Saab rebuild manual.

Also, I'm not judging your experience/rebuild skills, since you have far more experience than me, just saying that tolerance is small.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”