Rally Car Rear Axles

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:15 am

Sean Tennis wrote:Hans, how was Alcan?

Axle tubing material tempering would be better then the added tube. I remember when they did this (stuffed the rear axle), we, the non Sam/Rob team, thought they were nuts, keeping the car on the stage seemed to be a better idea...

Sean Tennis

I agree, they will only bend when you hit something out of the force plane in which they were designed to operate (ie, sideways).
Adding a few reinforcement dosent seems a bad idea given that we do end up sliding sideways into things rather frequently :) But getting carried away and making it heavier than neccessary seems silly.

About the front a-arms... the stock ones will rip right off long before any further damaged is incured. Best to make then as strong as possible!

GRMPer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby GRMPer » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:41 am

Speaking of front arms, do the plates that you make work on the uppers as well as the lowers? I've got the uppers out of the car finally and need to do some welding....

Per

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:04 pm

I've seen a number of them get trashed from bottoming out on the bump stops... That means you don't get to do the X-games jumps and all the STD-infected silicone honneys won't talk to you.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Sean Tennis
Number of Saabs currently owned: 30

Postby Sean Tennis » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:38 pm

DeLorean wrote:
Crazyswede wrote:Luke and I discussed the whole monster rear axle idea at one point and we wondered what the danger would be. As in right now when you hit something hard you bend the rear axle. Well if the rear axle is indestructible do you run the risk of tearing the whole axle out of the car or severely damaging the axle mounts thus rendering your car undriveable? The car was a little squirrelly with axle as it was but it was still moving since the axle gave in.

I have discussed similar with an old time saab racer that lives in palmerton, PA who insisted the same thing about the front control arms. he is a big fan of "just strong enough" so that the items that are attached to the car will bend and break before the car itself does. I guess there is logic to that?

Yes I agree, thing is that one something is strengthen it transfers loads to another location, that know needs to be strengthend, which repeats the cycle over and over.

The idea is to get a component reliable enough to do the job for a given time, just like tires or brake pads, they work great for awhile then need replaced, same holds true for other parts, they can be taken off inspected and then dealt with as needed.

I recall talking with Murray Thomas of TAD when Henry Joy was rallying a Mitusbishi EVO in the mid to late 90's, we were at Rim of the World Rally and Henry was having an enormus failure rate of drive axles on this event, lots of small jumps, sand and turning-sometimes at the same time, these failures had caused him to loose the lead.

I said to Murray, "whats your maintance schedule on the car?" He said, "it breaks we replace it." I said, "that's an exspensive way to loose!"

Murray said, "it's hard to know the life span of parts like axles." I agreed, however I said, "thing is we are here at Rim, axle breaking is going to happen, that's a given. I know axles are exspensive but you still have to buy them either as spares or repalcements right?" Murray agreed. "So get several sets, change them out at major service, that would be 3 sets for this event. Then when you go back to the shop inspect them, magnaflux, dye, what ever it takes. Log what axles were used for what event or even what stages-some stages are harder on things then others. This will help give you a life cycle of the parts. Thing is, Henry would be much happier with the car reliable and winning events then leading and breaking out, the monies going to be spent either way and if you explain what you're doing he'll be on board."

I brought this up because it shows the tires were getting better grip, via suspension, tire compounds, the LSD tightened up, and that more torque from the modified engine created more loads on the axles. Even thou these were factory competition axles they were still the week link, if they had been stronger then more likely the wheel bearings would have failed. Which would mean that the wheel hubs would then need to be stronger/larger to carry a bigger bearing, which is even more costly.

It shows that loads transfer and one can keep chasing part after part trying to get everything super strong and heavier but pushing the load further down the line, and that finding a simple balance is both effective and less costly.

Does this make sense?

IMHO,
Sean Tennis

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:34 pm

Ha,
thats a good story. I like the "thats an expensive way to loose". It took me a while to learn that when you know a part will eventually break, its best to replace it before it does!
So when are you gonna dust off the car Sean? If a clown like me can do ok in SAAB these days, I know you guys would probably be kicking butt! Many stories about the "scanwest boys" have made it all the way over to this coast. If only rob would return my calls about where he had the input shaft to convert a dogbox gearset to chain drives made!

Sean Tennis

Postby Sean Tennis » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:01 pm

Luke wrote:Ha,
thats a good story. I like the "thats an expensive way to loose". It took me a while to learn that when you know a part will eventually break, its best to replace it before it does!
So when are you gonna dust off the car Sean? If a clown like me can do ok in SAAB these days, I know you guys would probably be kicking butt! Many stories about the "scanwest boys" have made it all the way over to this coast. If only rob would return my calls about where he had the input shaft to convert a dogbox gearset to chain drives made!

I think I had the last one, installed it in Nates box a few years ago-it is my unit, I still run a gear drive box-LOL.

His transmission is out of the car and apart at the moment, I'll see if I can pull the shaft and have a unit copied if you would like, might take sometime to get done, Nate is out of town this weekend so it would be at least a week before I could get to it at the earliest...I have no idea what the shaft will cost to make, could easily be several hundred with the harding and splining!

By the way I am no longer associated with Scanwest!
IMHO,
Sean Tennis

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:20 pm

Sean Tennis wrote:
I think I had the last one, installed it in Nates box a few years ago-it is my unit, I still run a gear drive box-LOL.

His transmission is out of the car and apart at the moment, I'll see if I can pull the shaft and have a unit copied if you would like, might take sometime to get done, Nate is out of town this weekend so it would be at least a week before I could get to it at the earliest...I have no idea what the shaft will cost to make, could easily be several hundred with the harding and splining!
By the way I am no longer associated with Scanwest!

No worries, I was actually able to borrow a shaft from Josh T (No jokes Geoff!) in Vermont, that was sourced from scanwest originally. I just wanted to get the info from Rob where he had the work done but he was always busy when I called and even though the nice girl thats answers the phone promised me she'd pester him to call me back he never did. So I ended sending the shaft to Moser industries in Indiana, they made me a replica for a very reasonable price, highly recommend them.

Sean Tennis

Postby Sean Tennis » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:01 am

I'm not surprised he never called back, his normal operating. He usually would just ask me when someone called what to do anyways...and I'm no longer there!

Sam actually had the shafts made by a local machininst, never met the guy and can't recall his name...

Do you recall what you paid to have the shaft made, has it been checked, just curious.
IMHO,

Sean Tennis

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”