And so it begins...

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:14 am

GRMPer wrote:Yea, and it's only $79.95 to have the pulley rebuilt. It's going out today to DamperDoctor.com in Redding, CA.

Tore the spare engine down. Very, very odd. Head is clean as a whistle, transmission has clearly been removed, but the shortblock is full of carbon/cooked oil/crap and the bearings are wiped out. So...it's off to the machine shop to see if the crank is saveable and how much the block needs to be bored.

That is odd. When I bought the 78 ems that engine came out of I was told "just had engine and transmission rebuilt" I even had a folder with a stack of receipts for about $3000 worth of machine shop and mechanics bills that came with the car. In fact I might still have it around somewhere, I should look and see exactly what was claimed to have been done. The crank will be fine unless it was really really abused. The cranks were forged and nitrided and they last forever.

GRMPer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby GRMPer » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:21 am

Yea, the bearings are coooooooked, with scoring on the crank. Looks like it was run with very dirty oil and then allowed to starve. No biggie on my end, as I'm going through it anyway.

I guess it also make sense to go to those 9.3:1 earlier pistons instead of the stock 8:1 slugs...

engine rebuilds are fun..it's that whole shopping/while I'm in there/waiting that bugs me.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:24 am

Got pics?

I thought you were thinking of turboing the car? ...9.3:1 compression is kinda pushing the limits without really good engine management.

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:27 am

Nothing close up...I posted another pic of the box 'o' parts that went to the machine shop this morning.

I go back and forth on turboing this car. My thinking is that building a decent NA engine (120 at wheels is the goal) will be first up, but I'll still have a spare engine that can be built for something else---

OTOH, I was thinking high comp/low boost might be a good compromise engine that would be tractable.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:37 pm

The US Postal service has been notified and FBI officials are on their way. :wink:

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:55 am

Busted...

But you know, I bought a dozen red bins that are made out of the same material as the USPS ones...$10 a piece! But, they're awful handy.

I just needed a few extra to get some stuff into the office. They've been put back into 'circulation' after a bath. Cliff Claven would be proud.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”