CV Joints

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Luke
Site Admin

CV Joints

Postby Luke » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:30 pm

John recently got back from the automotive performance trade show in Florida. While there he was talking with a company that modifies CV joints for increased strength and durability. Basically they design new cages that fit the stock components out of chromoly and cyro treat and polish them. They told him that they should be able to retrofit a stronger cage for about $80. I am going to call them and look further into this. I know that the saab CV's are much stronger than some other makes, VW for example, but I've still experienced 2 failures, both times it was a fractured cage. 1 was on a street car and one on a rally car. Any other interest?

Rallyho
Nickname: El Blanco
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Rallyho » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:15 pm

Absolutely. Were your failures inner or outer cvs? I know I've seen inners modified by slipping steel tubing over (or completely replacing) the thin, outer tin on inner drivers.
Rallyho

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:25 pm

I was talking about outers. Inners could also use some beefing up but like you said we could probably come up with a home brew solution for them by sourcing the correct size tubing and spinning some ridges for the rubber boots on the lathe. I'll get the contact info from John and give the company a call.

Heres an example of a reinforced inner:

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:10 pm

ah, so those reinforced inners are just a beefier shell put onto the stock driver. I always thought they were a fully machined new driver but that picture shows it a lot better. That makes more sense and would be easier to do!

theoneGroo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby theoneGroo » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:21 pm

a note on the failure of the outer cv's... the guys at scanwwest in seattle modified their steering racks to limit the amount of lock you can get .. it was their experience that the outer cv's were failing due to too much steering lock which puts a great amount of strerss on the joint especially under power.. a new improved cv that could handle full lock and power would be great but it seems simpler to protect them from exceeding their design limitations...
Groo869

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:02 pm

where's the fun in that?
I think some or all 99 racks don't travel as far as the Chevy Cita... ummm 900 racks.

t16_rally

Postby t16_rally » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:53 am

hello dudes.
about cv´s i´ll suggest we do it the saab way, that means by our selves and by saab parts;-)

the inner sleve that the driveshaft sits in, take that from saab 9000 2.3 and then use the lathe i think to get it in the 99 or 900 bearing, it is done something like that here in sweden!! ohh, and of course the cv from 2.3 too. fits right on driveshaft! :-)
(not completly sure of tha lathe work, as i have not done it my self!!) but i can look into it!

/ SaabMatti
rallying is life!

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:51 am

Any Saab 9000 2.3 or just the 93+ ?

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:39 am

Interested in this, but I'm not completely sure what you mean. Are we talking about inner or outer CV's? Care to find out some more details?

t16_rally

Postby t16_rally » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:34 pm

hmm, all i know is 2.3turbo(forgott to mention that) 9000 outer cv.
dont know about the year of model, but i can certainly put some effort in finding info in this issue.

merry christmas guys.(our cristmas is the 24th)
rallying is life!

rsp57
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby rsp57 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:23 pm

There is an inner joint that is made as a complete unit (no tin cup) It's aftermarket and i will get the brand and let you know. It uses the large bearings. which come with the new joint. I think they are around $120AUS

Saab99_16vT
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Saab99_16vT » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:01 pm

i'll try and post the cv info tonight when i get home. the company i talked to , as luke said, will take a stock cv and run it to failure to determine where the weakest points are. they will remodel the cv cage machine and heat treat, then test the new cages to failure. the cost around $85 per cage more if you want a hole cv. and they will give the new cage/cv and lifetime warrenty the the parts will not fail or break. pretty good deal in my mind, the last cv you would have to buy.
the man crazy enough to strap himself into the passenger seat while Luke drives, i.e. CO-DRIVER

Saab 92-X Aero

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:26 pm

theoneGroo wrote:a note on the failure of the outer cv's... the guys at scanwwest in seattle modified their steering racks to limit the amount of lock you can get .. it was their experience that the outer cv's were failing due to too much steering lock which puts a great amount of strerss on the joint especially under power.. a new improved cv that could handle full lock and power would be great but it seems simpler to protect them from exceeding their design limitations...

Scanwest recommended the 9000 inner drivers/tripods, saying they're stronger than 900 stuff. Sorry, no specifics on p/n's or years.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”