B-motor cam Specs

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:19 pm

Here is the profile sheet for the cam I have in my green 99:

It's a really nice cam but maybe too aggressive for my mom to drive with, it needs high rpm's to get you anywhere. it's a 287/302, similar to jack's street performance cam but slightly more aggressive on the exhaust lobes. I chose this over jack's because it has the same base circle size as the original cam, and doesnt require modification of the tappets on installation.

I had it made from a stock cam, weld and grind, cost me less than $150 at delta camshafts.

I have heard only good things about jack's cams! he's a great guy too and he sure will talk your ear off! Delta is a great place though, too.

sonett
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby sonett » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:22 am

GRMPer wrote:Mostly just "exhaust only for porting...don't worry about valves with the street/rally engine..."

From my experience..you can tell the exhaust ports need work just by looking at them and the exhaust manifold/header that they bolt too..port matching, as well as enlarging the transition/90-degree turn out of the combustion chamber should do a lion's share of the work.

In that case i wouldn't bother doing anything as you probably won't see any significant gains, the valve area is the most important part, having 3 angle seats doesn't really mean much either, unless you know what angles to cut and what widths they should be. More often than not, ports are opened up way too much for the valves being used and this will have an effect on tractability. With a few exceptions, on most heads with standard valves the exhaust port is already big enough.
I understand we are all on budgets and hope to get the best gains as cheaply possible, but to have it done properly means having the head ported/flowed to match the cam and the application the engine will be for, but that is easily said, the hard part is finding someone that can actually do this work.

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:57 am

I've actually had pretty good luck cleaning out exhaust ports on a Alfa head. Sure, I only got 5hp, but a true ported head with that cam would have only netted 7hp. So, should have I not ported the exhaust myself because I didn't get the maximum? Hell no! It was free!

Per

sonett

Postby sonett » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:05 pm

GRMPer wrote:I've actually had pretty good luck cleaning out exhaust ports on a Alfa head. Sure, I only got 5hp, but a true ported head with that cam would have only netted 7hp. So, should have I not ported the exhaust myself because I didn't get the maximum? Hell no! It was free!

Per

WOW, 5hp, like i said, you won't see any significant gains and you have proved my generalisation about gains from exhaust ports, but yes, it was free, well done.
Forgot to add...just because you gained 5hp at peak does not mean you have it through the rev range and more often than not, the bottom end grunt will suffer. It's under the curve that matters.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”