AWD SAAB using Subaru driveline.

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:17 am

Ah ok well I learn something new every day :P I looked it up and the #8 is 33/24 :oops:

Do the auto primaries work in the manual boxes? Don't they have crazy big bottom gears?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:36 am

On a side note (like this entire thread) I created a web based lookup tool from all the data on that gear set spreadsheet (cleaned up a little) so it is accessible through a database. I'm not sure all my maths are correct in it but it's basically to be able to play around with primaries, gear ratios, r&p and it calculates speeds, shows ratios, etc. etc. plus look up existing combination of gear sets by year/make/model/box# . I could even put in fancy pants graphs... doing reverse calculations would be cool too. Just a fun tool to play around with.

I may post it later when I think I have my calculations correct.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:25 am

aren't the automatics belt primaries? Maybe I'm confused. I doubt they'd be interchangeable...

I think, as far as stock R&Ps you can't switch them between boxes (9:33 vs. 9:35). (?)
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:22 pm

I have no idea about the autos... besides glancing at ones in the junkyards with disgust, I don't think I've ever really looked at them.

I don't know about changing the R&P either, but it makes sense you probably couldn't switch them.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:12 pm

The 900 autmatics are chain primaries but they are different then the ones found in the manual transmissions. I dont know if they would swap. As I recall it was a strange single wide chain system....sort of like a metal belt.
I am the 73%

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:06 pm

the C-900 autos use the same sort of belt drive chain you find in many many other FWD/Automatic cars. It's s shame the autos suck so much, they have a much beefer case than the manuals. the auto I pulled out of my 91 outweighed the 5 speed that went in by about 2X.
Less brake more gas!

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:54 pm

DeLorean wrote:the C-900 autos use the same sort of belt drive chain you find in many many other FWD/Automatic cars. It's s shame the autos suck so much, they have a much beefer case than the manuals. the auto I pulled out of my 91 outweighed the 5 speed that went in by about 2X.

oh, and the automat Vs manual primaries are indeed different. It would be like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. They are not even close.
Less brake more gas!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:32 am

DeLorean wrote:the C-900 autos use the same sort of belt drive chain you find in many many other FWD/Automatic cars. It's s shame the autos suck so much, they have a much beefer case than the manuals. the auto I pulled out of my 91 outweighed the 5 speed that went in by about 2X.

They also take 5X the fluid :-P
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Rob
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby Rob » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:23 pm

yeah i must agree also, i blew my 89 5spd "coming up on boost in 3rd on a steep hill" these transmissions are so fragile i try to not modify them too much, just intake and exhaust and try to tune the spc to have a gradual, linear powerband, thats where having turbo lag might actually be a good thing in these cars, not to mention you dont burn excess gas when u aren't in boost, I'm thinking of putting my t04 turbo that was rebuilt along with a 2.1 intake on my 92 900 turbo, im looking for upper midrange and top end power rather than abrupt torque low-midrange power, i think thats the way to set up these cars, that way you can shift slowly and carefully, but have alot of fun farther into the gear. what do you guys think? also somebody should make a solid spacer instead of the crush collar, that combined with the steel back cover should help.

sonett

Postby sonett » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:30 am

Rob wrote:also somebody should make a solid spacer instead of the crush collar, that combined with the steel back cover should help.

Somebody has made them, I have a solid spacer on my competition 5-speed box.

allessence
Nickname: allessence

Postby allessence » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:07 am

I'm in the process of making up some steel spacers to have on hand.

Also, looking at making some pinion depth gauge tools for the frequent rebuilds.

The spacers are used with shims and will have the finial measurements worked out today hopefully.
Okay, so I'm female and like SAAB's go figure. Mind you, I like a good set of strappy sandal's just about as much though they don't take you thru the corners as fast. LOL

Rosie: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... =Jennifers

idiot_saabvant

Postby idiot_saabvant » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:10 pm

I ended up buying the 89 crush washers so I could have a stock measurement. I see where someone in one of my failed trannies actually hammered "flat" the ridge along the crush washer to make "longer" to reuse.

I would be willing to pay for the solid crush washers you may be making. Also the hardest/toughest measurement is the 195.0mm from case edge to pinion nut as with SAAB special tool 8790552. I've tried measurements with a universal depth gauge, but until I can get more confidence in rebuilding my trannies would like to use the stock tool. If you are making extras then perhaps I can purchase one as well.

Thanks J.

pierre

allessence
Nickname: allessence

Postby allessence » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:09 pm

Well, turns out the solid spacer we had made was for the earlier boxes Pre 89 with the small pinion bearings. We came up with a size of .740 for length without shims.

The later boxes 89Up use a .612 spacer with out shims. These are the ones we will be focusing on since I have 2 boxes to rebuild. One 91 and one 92.

Both spacers need some rework (surface grinding) since these are in the prototype stage.

The pinion depth gauges will know more in about a week. The machinist is on vacation.
Okay, so I'm female and like SAAB's go figure. Mind you, I like a good set of strappy sandal's just about as much though they don't take you thru the corners as fast. LOL

Rosie: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... =Jennifers

sonett

Postby sonett » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:19 am

idiot_saabvant wrote:I ended up buying the 89 crush washers so I could have a stock measurement. I see where someone in one of my failed trannies actually hammered "flat" the ridge along the crush washer to make "longer" to reuse.

I would be willing to pay for the solid crush washers you may be making. Also the hardest/toughest measurement is the 195.0mm from case edge to pinion nut as with SAAB special tool 8790552. I've tried measurements with a universal depth gauge, but until I can get more confidence in rebuilding my trannies would like to use the stock tool. If you are making extras then perhaps I can purchase one as well.

Thanks J.

pierre

Pierre, you appear to be agonising over measuring the depth of the pinion nut, here is what i have found to work...
I have the Saab measuring tool, depth gauge and two quality steel rules, as an experiment i started off measuring the depth with the steel rules, i placed one into the gearbox case on the pinion nut and the other across the top of the box, i selected the shims until i had 195mm, i then measured the depth with the standard type engineers depth tool and then with the Saab tool, all 3 indicated 195mm. When using the steel rules you have to ensure the one on the nut sits square on it and sits flat against the top rule.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”