63 Bullnose Rally Project

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: 63 Bullnose Rally Project

Postby Geoff » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:55 pm

For kicks I looked and saw a rebuilt engine for $1300 on Ebay, but it didn't include the ancillary stuff you'd need. I saw a bunch of used jet skis for $5000 and some in need of work for $2000.

Hmm... stock box for 165hp? :-) Is that the same box as the V4s used?
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

V4_guy
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby V4_guy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:40 pm

Geoff wrote:Hmm... stock box for 165hp? :-) Is that the same box as the V4s used?

Yeah, I think you'd want to upgrade to the S&R cast iron gearbox case for that. ;)

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Anyone out there know anything about the Motus V4 engine?
I might need to go find another Sonett just to drop one of these in...

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engi ... ewall.html

Looks like a fully modern version of our V4. As long as you are looking at alternatives...

john

allessence
Nickname: allessence

Postby allessence » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:09 pm

I have created my own thread since this thread was getting hyjacked to much. Please post over at the new thread for the PWC engine..

Sorry guys. I really love what you have done to the car. .

Any in car video yet.. How does it pull? Do you have Bud Clarks contact info?

Thanks Jennifer
Okay, so I'm female and like SAAB's go figure. Mind you, I like a good set of strappy sandal's just about as much though they don't take you thru the corners as fast. LOL

Rosie: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... =Jennifers

modernbeat

Postby modernbeat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:24 am

Every time we try to take video the camera dies. Usually because of vibrations. Really. Every time. The camera usually doesn't live more than a couple seconds.

I've got Bud's info. I'll dig it up and post it. We're using Venola pistons from Bud. We're on our fourth set! Too many solid objects have gone down the intake.

And a video of the SAAB leaving a car show taken by an admirer.

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/ ... EO0001.mp4

allessence

Postby allessence » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:27 am

modernbeat wrote:Every time we try to take video the camera dies. Usually because of vibrations. Really. Every time. The camera usually doesn't live more than a couple seconds.

I've got Bud's info. I'll dig it up and post it. We're using Venola pistons from Bud. We're on our fourth set! Too many solid objects have gone down the intake.

And a video of the SAAB leaving a car show taken by an admirer.

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/ ... EO0001.mp4

When you say solid objects you mean???? how long does it take for the engine to warm up before you get good piston seal?

The car must feel really good with the motor???????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Can we say BIG SMILE ON THE FACE.. :) :yay:
Okay, so I'm female and like SAAB's go figure. Mind you, I like a good set of strappy sandal's just about as much though they don't take you thru the corners as fast. LOL

modernbeat

Postby modernbeat » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:52 am

The first set saw 1400+ degree exhaust temps. Oops.

Second set, during rejetting tests one of the jets wasn't tight and went down the engine. Twice.

The third set went in after a carb came apart and went through the engine.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:29 am

modernbeat wrote:Every time we try to take video the camera dies. Usually because of vibrations. Really. Every time. The camera usually doesn't live more than a couple seconds

Every time I put a HAM radio in Puttyus Maximus (the blue '61 rally car) the radio turns to fuzz when we're driving :P

I love the sound of the car in that video. There's something to sounding a lot faster than you can ever get the car to go.

modernbeat

Postby modernbeat » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:49 pm

We've been doing some more work in preparation of the 100 Acre Wood Rally at the end of the month. The biggest change is moving from the SAAB Solex carbs to a Porsche Weber carb. So far it looks like a winner. We also rebuilt a set of Sonnett front discs and had Porterfield make up some competition pads for them. Last, we finally got hold of the 96 FIA homologation papers that showed the allowed extra capacity fuel system. They basically plumbed a Sonnett tank on top of the standard tank.

The engine with the new carb and aircleaner.

The crazy Sonnett brakes. The caliper twists in relation to the disc!

Notice this fuel filler is on the wrong side. It feeds the additional tank.

And another of the engine with the new carb.

allessence

Postby allessence » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:09 am

Where did you guys find the front dampener?

Last December I finially parted with my GT850's and all the NOS parts. Two Gentlemen from Sweden came out and took just about everything that wasn't nailed down..

Except for transmissions. I have like 9 transmissions still. Oh and a standard 96

They made off with the same carb you have in the picture. What did you do for and intake manifold?

The brake calipers are the same as used on just about all the later 96's as well.

They work okay and certainly are a huge step up from the drums.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:37 pm

That's pretty awesome! I had the potential to go to 100AW but ended up with some other conflicts. I saw your car on the entry list and was excited to see it. Oh well, hopefully another time!

So what is the waterpump from? I like how you've modernized the engine accessories. It wouldn't be as neat for a street car but it's well worth it on a race car.

modernbeat

Postby modernbeat » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:41 pm

The engine is actually a later two-stroke from a non-bullnose. We've squeezed it into our bullnose. The only body modification was having to lose the window shade on the front grille. We were able to keep the distributor shield after a little judicious repositioning. The water pump is stock to the later engine and we replumbed it to use the bullnose radiator. The alternator brackets are a copy of...something old. I can't remember. The intake manifold is a heavily modified Solex manifold with an adapter plate bolted to the top of it.

We had been having issues for years with the carbs on this car. We've been through three sets, and hundreds of jetting/timing combos trying to get it into it's power band. It's a big-bore and big-port engine that doesn't really come on until 4000 rpm, but it was being choked off by the Solexes at around 4500 rpm. That didn't make it much fun. With the Porsche carb we haven't hit redline yet, but the math says around 8000 rpm should be the end. And the car is MUCH more fun since it's easier to drive and can stay in the power band.

Here's a good shot of the brake caliper showing the odd tapered pads. I realize this was common on SAABs, but SAABs are still new to me.

The GT dash grafted into our Bullnose.

Opening up a clearance slot in the carb adapter plate. Needs more room for the linkage to swing below the mating line.

One of the more traditional aircleaner setups we used. It's available is someone else needs it.

That aircleaner was modified to allow more air in through the gaps around the air cleaner tops. We made custom foam aircleaners using iPD foam.

The current engine setup. This shows some of the rerouted cooling plumbing.

The aircraft clock and EGT gauge. We keep a close eye on the exhaust temps.

Found this early Terra Trip computer a few years ago. Getting it into working order has been a saga, but it seems to finally be working correctly after adding an isolated power supply from David Navone. It's so old that when sent back to Terra Trip for repair, they said they had never seen one and the only reference they had to it was a copy of a magazine advertisement from the '70s.

And another action shot from a 2011 event, the last time it was driven in anger.

Sean Tennis
Number of Saabs currently owned: 30

Postby Sean Tennis » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Have you removed the rubber from the vibration dampener and locked the assembly?

What is the main pulley set up, is it keyed or converted to Monte Carlo pin style? The keyed type tends to break at those high RPM's along with the front crankshaft shaft the pulley is carried on...
IMHO,
Sean Tennis

modernbeat

Postby modernbeat » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:57 pm

Yes, Bud did the modifications when he built the bottom end the first time.

Sean Tennis
Number of Saabs currently owned: 30

Postby Sean Tennis » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Fantastic, looking forward to hearing post event report.
IMHO,

Sean Tennis

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”