New Year's Drive VII, Sunday January 7th.

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
philipm3
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

New Year's Drive VII, Sunday January 7th.

Postby philipm3 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:41 pm

I thought some of you Saab-Freaks might be interested, but there isn't a proper place for this type of post on here. ;-)

For the last 6 years in an attempt to get everyone out of the house in January, I decided to organize a group drive for the first Sunday in January. These were fun events consisting of brisk drives on back roads, ending at a local restaurant. The routes involved some nice hilly twisty roads, some scenic small towns & followed portions of the CT river. There were a few stops along the way to regroup & socialize.

I'm way behind with my planning this year, but it will be happening again this year, Sunday, January 7th. The drive will happen, rain, shine or snow, it is winter after all. The start will be at the Westbrook Outlet Mall, exit 65 off of I-95 in Westbrook, CT, we will meet around 10:00 & start the drive around 10:30. I haven't mapped out the route yet, but it will consist of a mix of roads similar to past years. There will be a mix of state & local roads, with a few good quality dirt roads mixed in (No Jeep trails). While none of the roads are "car breakers", we will be traveling on some back roads which will have potholes, cracks, bumps, yumps, etc. People whose cars have unusually low profile tires &/or extremely limited suspension travel may want to consider bringing out the "winter beater", "family car", etc. I am estimating it will take about 4-5 hours to complete once we make some stops along the way, so we will be arriving at the restaurant around 3:00-4:00.

I haven't put together a web page this year, but you can look at last year's page for more info, everything is the same except it is on the 7th this year.
http://www.p3racing.net/pictures/06/nyd/nyd3-p3.html

PS. Mike what's your current e-mail, the one I have got bounced.
PPS. Anyone have an e-mail for Groo? I know he's told it to me but I never remember it when I get home.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:20 am

I would probably be able to make it.... can I bring my Viggen with my winter tires, or should I bring my 99....(with extra fuses :) )

philipm3

Postby philipm3 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:48 pm

I'm all for bringing out the 99, I like old cars, but if it's not reliable & you want to bring the Viggen that should be fine. The only problem I can see with the Viggen might be ground clearance, but you'd be a better judge of that than me since I don't know how much it actually has. Try asking one of the other guys who have been on the drive & own Saabs (Ethan, Seth, Geoff), one of them can probably advise you better than me.

PS. Kelly says bring the Viggen & let her drive it. ;-)

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:27 pm

Can I bring my mini? :twisted:
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

philipm3

Postby philipm3 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:06 am

Is it a real Mini or one of the counterfeit BMW Minis? Either way, your welcome to bring it. Just like the Viggen, the only thing I'd be worried about is ground clearance on rough roads.

I'm not trying to freak anyone out, we've only had one car that broke in the last 6 years, & that was when Ethan's BMW oil pan found a rock. The only other damage we've had was driver error & he still won't tell us what really happened.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:29 pm

The viggen is pretty low... the 99 is pretty reliable (it was my daily driver up until I got the Viggen), but it has some electrical gremlins that have been popping up more.

Last time I took the 99 off-roading (recon vehicle at Rally New York), I ripped off the airdam and put a nice dent behind the passengerside wheel well... so I guess now its pretty much prepped for anything...

philipm3

Postby philipm3 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:23 pm

Sounds good to me. If you need some help with the electrical problems, I can give you a hand, I'm generally pretty good at figuring those things out.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:57 pm

Rob Riccordelli (or however his last name is spelled) brought his Viggen the last year that I was there (same year as the driver error incident). I don't think I heard any complaints from him. I'd use 16" winter wheels/tires though.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:26 pm

Gravel im ok with... but gravel doesn't rip out oil pans ;)... I'd like to bring my 99 but the Kumhos I have on it now are shot and my all season are on soccer balls which need to be modified to fit the 900 hubs im using... maybe I can find somebody with a big lathe...

Luke told me to be wary of simply dremeling down the lip as the wheels should be hub-centric and not sit on lugs.

I don't know, hopefully I'll figure it out. I'd like to do the run.

Edit: I have 16"s on the Viggen now with some all seasons which are in good shape.

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:29 pm

philipm3 wrote:Is it a real Mini or one of the counterfeit BMW Minis? Either way, your welcome to bring it. Just like the Viggen, the only thing I'd be worried about is ground clearance on rough roads.

I'm not trying to freak anyone out, we've only had one car that broke in the last 6 years, & that was when Ethan's BMW oil pan found a rock. The only other damage we've had was driver error & he still won't tell us what really happened.

It's a counterfeit mini. I've got 17"s and wicked hard run-flats on it, so it's not exactly prime for really rough roads. And dirt and gravel are out, I've got no mudflaps. I also have no snow tires, and I don't even have all-seasons. I'm pretty much thinking this is a bad idea for me. :?
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

philipm3

Postby philipm3 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:17 am

In the past I have told people who didn't want to run the dirt how to bypass those sections, so don't worry too much about that. I think you are pretty safe on the snow front, since we haven't had any yet this year & it's supposed to be in the 50's & 60's through Sunday. If you wanted, I'm sure you could always find someone to ride along with if you show up. There are always a few people who choose that option.

Anyways, Hope to see you guys on Sunday.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”