11 Monthiversary

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
GRMPer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby GRMPer » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:44 am

Ha! Yep, that's the spot.

Actually, the vibration is greatly reduced overall since I switched to the E30 mounts...but when it's in gear and the engine rocks a bit, it's buzz city.

the Vorshlag mounts are actually solid, as the bolt runs straight through--I don't think the poly does anything other than meet the letter of the rules for certain classes.

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:48 am

I got the engine spaced up correctly and aside from the exhaust, just about as tame/smooth/buzz free as stock around town.

Then I put the R-compounds on it and took it for an aggressive drive-------Sean Tennis nailed it----soft engine mounts will allow the transmission to pull out of gear. It allowed enough rocking fore-aft on throttle lift that it would pop-out.

Stiff mounts are back in, I'll be taking it for a drive to see if that solved that issue.

I guess the good thing is that I isolated rubbing issues from the actual buzz from the mounts. Multiple variables suck.

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:37 am

Yep, that solved the engine movement/gear pop-out. It's a little more tolerable than before (now that other rubbing/vibrations have been fixed) and it's much better at speed.

In short, feels crappy at 5/10ths, feels stellar at 9-10/10ths.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:52 am

Good because you won't be driving it at "5/10ths" anyway. :P And if you are you're either on a rough section where vibrations won't be noticed or have some other problem and a vibration won't be the worst of your worries.

Its always best to have some more vibration and not have to worry about having to put the car back in gear every 1/16th of a mile.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:58 am

Exactly. It was just tough to tell what was 'normal' for poly mounts and what wasn't....Lots of variables...new engine, new transmission, header, etc...so taking engine mounts out of the variable list (ie, going back to soft) allowed me to figure everything else out.

I dare say the car is quite a bit faster than before. Feels, well, healthy.

Per

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:04 am

I'm jealous. I put some penetrating oil into my cylinders and turned the engine over by hand (with the plugs in) last weekend. I could spin the engine over by hand by grabbing the clutch. Awesome compression.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:18 am

I can't do that by hand, but if I use a large screw driver to 'push' on the flywheel teeth, I can move it around to TDC. Not fun though.

I'll need to rig up a shift light for this bugger...revs really easy.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”