5-Speed competition gearbox.

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:24 am

Are all chain drive primaries swappable? I think the 4sp in my '76 is from a '78, not sure if it is Turbo or N/A. What would that be like a 4 or 5?. I remember a ~75mph cruise hits almost 4000rpms (3800 maybe?) . I thought I also recall something about the input shafts being slightly different over the years, I'm not really sure how that affects things.

I was thinking of putting a 5 or 6 primary in the '91 5 speed. It would allow a decent cruising and top speed but slightly shorter gearing. 2nd gear in the 4 speed was a little short for auto-x (most of the time it was great) ..but by increasing the rev range with the new cam, I hope I can get similar results with the 5 speed.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:54 am

A US 99 turbo would have a 5. You can swap it right into the 5spd but you have to use the 4spd chains.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:10 pm

Thanks, I'll have to take a look at the number on the box to see what it is. What is different on the chains?

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:16 pm

Jordan wrote:Thanks, I'll have to take a look at the number on the box to see what it is. What is different on the chains?

The chains have two more links.

theoneGroo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby theoneGroo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:56 am

geoff,

for now... no rally car :( all the stuff goes to mike who has a car with a cage and i thought he could use all the good bits i had... i liked the gearbox set-up i had, it was so much better than running a 5 speed with a 31:30 set-up... the interesting thing was how i didnt have to use max rpm to drive the car... the dyno sheet showed the power drop way off after 6800 even though it had an mss cam and all that ... i dont think the cis was set-up very well... with the 5 speed i was always running at 7500 or more in second because the gap to 3rd was so big... the only problem was the launch.... first gear was so tall and the car had so little power that i bogged it on a down hill start once! once you got used to slipping the clutch alot (uphill starts were rough) it was ok... but i changed the clutch disk every event... oh and first gear was totally usuable in tight slow corners.... the gearbox completely changed the way the car drove...
Groo869

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”