Aluminum Bushings?

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Aluminum Bushings?

Postby Jordan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:35 am

I saw a post over on saab[advertisment]net about some aluminum bushing replacements for 99 steering racks that were made up in the UK...Is this something that would be hard to fab? The idea being that if 93 95/96 cars had the rack bolted directly to the frame it can't be all that bad. (I don't know, I'm just repeating info). What do you guys think?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:48 pm

Thats the way its done on my 99 rally car. It has the 99 power steering rack. I don't know if aluminum bushings were stock or not on the 99 PS racks. It would help a lot in a real race car. I would make them out of hard polyurethane for a street car. One is just a ring and can be made out of a sheet, the other "D" shaped one would need a mold made which really wouldn't be all that tough to do.

There is a company in the UK (powerflex?) that makes (or at least used to) a 9000 power steering bushing out of polyurethane. Its the same part number as a 900 rack so you could use that on your car if you're still using stock busings.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:22 pm

I have a (stock) quick-ratio manual rack on my 99.. and it's primarily going to be used for fun/race. Do they cast the aluminum or machine it to make the bushings?

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:23 pm

The primary reason for steering rack bushings is to deaden vibration to the steering wheel and chassis on a street car. They also serve somewhat to lessen any shock load and vibration/stress cracking at the mounting point. I think that the best solution would be to plate the area around the bolt holes with thicker metal welded in and then use solid (metal or delrin) mounts.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”