no brakes...wtf?

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
hotrodlarry
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

no brakes...wtf?

Postby hotrodlarry » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:47 am

Last fall I replaced the rear calipers and pads on my c900. I had to run a couple new steel lines and splice them in to the old brakes lines. I had a friend help me bleed them and everything seemed to work good.

Fast forward to yesterday...Got the car running so I could finish the exhaust and when I went to back it out of the garage, I had no brakes. I checked the master cylinder and there's fluid in it, and I can't find any leaks. I'm thinking I may have a bad diaphragm in the master cylinder, but that's the only thing I can think of because I can hear a 'smushing' sound coming from the firewall near the booster. Any ideas?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:42 pm

if the car sat for a while its possible that you had an air bubble that you didn't quite bleed out. Or it could be the seals in the master.
I am the 73%

saab90089

Postby saab90089 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:23 pm

Ya, try to bleed it. If all looks good there then I would try the master cyclinder. Especially if you are/had used the master cyclinder to bleed the system (pump up the system, open the bleeder). I've had this type of bleeding kill my 200K old master cyclinder.

Ian
1-97 Impreza L wagon w/many mods--mine
1-C900 turbo w/290K--mine
4-C900 turbo's in various states--dads
1-Legacy wagon--dads
1-Forester--moms

hotrodlarry

Postby hotrodlarry » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:39 pm

That's what I was thinking too. I'll give it a shot bleeding it and see what happens.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”