Windshield Removal Tips?

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Windshield Removal Tips?

Postby Jordan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:25 am

I have to remove the windshield and back window today or tomorrow. Lock strips are removed and I was planning to have a helper push from the inside -> out while I try to get it around the gasket with wood/plastic pieces. I also have a suction-cup handle if that helps any. Any other tips? Same for back window?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:41 am

start with the rear window because its easier and you'll gain some experience. Its kind of a pain because you need to get that rubber gasket out and the glass out and you're fighting whether to leave the gasket in the car or attached to the glass... I've done it a number of times and I seem to remember that leaving the rubber on the glass worked the best for me. I think I broke 2 or 3 900 windshields trying to teach myself how to get them out. I've never broken a rear. You need to flex things... but not too much. Just try to work your way around the best you can. I don't think I used any tools (never use anything like a screwdriver!), I think I just pushed the gasket out of the car and worked around the windshield until I got a good portion of it out. You just don't want to stress any corners of the glass too much..
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:55 am

Thanks. That was one of my questions, to remove the gasket from the body, or the glass from the rubber. I think the windshield you remove the glass from the rubber (that's the reverse of how we put them in) , but I don't know about the rear, either way makes sense.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:13 pm

I removed the windshield from my 85 900 but removing the gasket from the windshield. I don't think I could explain it very well..but I basically uses a small tool to work the gasket passed the windshield and then I was able to just push the glass, carefully, forwards from the car...saved the gasket too. If you dont care about the gasket you can just cut it.
I am the 73%

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:16 pm

In my experience the rears are much physically harder to put in, but also much harder to break. I've never broken a windshield on the way in, but I have broken them trying to remove really old ones that have sat in the weather for a long time. I use thin hardwood prybars, 1" wide 1/4" thick and tapered at the end, either hickory or ash, and wax them with beeswax. Make sure the gasket is warm and all the gunk is cleaned out. Some liquid soap lubricate the gasket if need be. The windsheild on the 75 rally car has been out several times with same gasket and no problems.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:25 pm

I'm going to try to save the gasket if all possible since the 99 ones are harder to come by. So is the consensus for removal, gasket+glass out of body at the same time? or windshield out of gasket?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:24 pm

hmmmm I can't remember now whether I pulled the windshield from the gasket or not...I'd have to go out and do one again to remember.
I am the 73%

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:08 pm

If you are not trying to save the gasket, you can get em out at the junk yard easy as cake bu just cutting the gasket with an Xacto knife. I saw a couple of dudes getting one out at the shortys U pull it, they were using a a cable to separate the gasket. start to finish, they had the screen out in about 3 minutes...
Less brake more gas!

Rob
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:15 am

spray the seal wih silicone while u move the seal with a wooden paint mixer, as you spray, lube it up good, my friend gary was really good at removing them, he would recline the seat and put both feet squarely on each side of the windshielf from inside the car and pop it out, its tricky, best if you have someone to help you with it, and dont pry on it at all!

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:53 am

I still don't know if you guys are saying remove the gasket + windshield from the body, or remove the glass from the gasket.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:58 am

thats something I think you need to figure out as you do it. As it starts to come out you need to have the gasket and windshield come out at the same time. Then once you get it started I think you want to pull them apart from eachother. I seem to remember pulling the gasket and leaving the glass but in reality the glass was going one way and the gasket was going the other.

Be careful with silicone because its really hard to remove and won't let paint bond. Even if you strip all the paint off you could have some transfer...

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:23 am

Jordan wrote:I still don't know if you guys are saying remove the gasket + windshield from the body, or remove the glass from the gasket.

I have never removed the gasket from the car while pulling a windshield and always put it in place on the car first when installing. I have really bad luck with rocks from quarry trucks around here so I've had to do a lot of them.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:28 am

lol... I guess I'll have to figure it out. I made some pry sticks from a hickory handle (wow hickory is HARD), and I'll give it a shot tomorrow when I have a helper.

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:57 am

I use liquid dish soap for lube as it cleans up easier and does less damage to the rubber than spray lubes.
I also use a plastic orange peeler to go around the glass to work the gasket free, but if it wants to stick, remove the glass w/ the gasket by breaking the gasket loose from the body on the unside.
Never pry from the outside! Always push from the inside...

john

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:57 am

Hickory is one of the strongest hardwoods in the US (only black locust is a little stronger).

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”