who all is running T5 heads on b202's??

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri May 02, 2008 8:36 am

airsweden wrote:As is the case with most of the bits rolling out of the Luke Sport and Rally Workshop, I think the modded intake necessary for the swap could by sold to at least a few in this pack of wackos......... if available. Is there favorable economy in this or even time/interest on the part of the fabricator? I'm sure it must have already been considered.

I think its one of those things that has more labor in it than people realize... If I had another larger mill and better fixtures I could probably do them for a reasonable amount.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Fri May 02, 2008 9:00 am

Luke wrote:
happyandy wrote:forgive me if this is a stupid question, but would it be easier to use a T5 intake than to do all the mods needed to use the 2.1 intake? :?:

The B2X4 blocks are not slanted like the C900 blocks, and hence the manifold does not have enough curve to clear the hood...

There is a quick solution to that, it involves a saw! ;) I always thought a later 9000 n/a intake (94) with the long runners would look pretty wild sticking out of the hood.
Less brake more gas!

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Fri May 02, 2008 9:24 am

I saw it done somewhere, a video on youtube i think... it looked pretty G-Hetto IMO.

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Fri May 02, 2008 9:27 am

Meh, just cut a hole in the hood and stick some velocity stacks on. Done. :hungry:
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Fri May 02, 2008 10:36 am

TurboWookiee wrote:thanks everyone for some insite.

Wow screw paying 3k for a rebuilt trans learn to rebuild them( i'm working on this) or do the senseable thing junkyard boxes at least in my area go for about 75$ i have about 3 atm, this is my soulution till i find something that handles the power better.

also anyone have any luck with Scanwests tranny's?? i've heard they build a pretty stout box.
Wookiee

The two above statement are hard to work together. ScanWest's start about 2K. 5K for their "best" The rub it that the shop rate is about $100
per hour and your time is worth what you think it is worth.
I had Scanwest rebuild my 89 trans. At the time I was not planning on doing anything crazy, so it was pretty much a standard with 2nd and 3rd shot peened gears. Since then I put in a standalone, monster i/c, 2 disk solid clutch, LSD and the trans is still doing fine. Last dyno we saw 200whp and 215 ft-lbs. Not huge numbers but we are getting there. The trans has 15K hard miles on it shifts smooth and no whine :D
Sorry to carry on, forgot the thread is about a head....
Checked out your club's site :P

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Fri May 02, 2008 10:46 am

Jeez, the last time I was at scanwest which was probably at the very least 5 yrs ago, the shop rate was like $115.
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Fri May 02, 2008 10:49 am

max wrote:Jeez, the last time I was at scanwest which was probably at the very least 5 yrs ago, the shop rate was like $115.

I forgot about tax :D

Rob

Postby Rob » Fri May 02, 2008 4:02 pm

you also have to remember that 9 out of 10 times the reason a c900 is in the junkyard is because the trans is blown. the engines dont go bad!!!!when these cars blow a trans they go straight to the scrap yard. i took apart 2 transmissions to build one and i still need 2nd,3rd,4th gear synchros and muffs, they are machined with a 2 degree angle and they will pop out of gear if that angle is worn. good luck, the reason we caution you is not to be adick, but to realize the limitaions of this trans. since we r all modifying these cars, you cant abuse these cars. they werent designed for drag racing

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri May 02, 2008 4:31 pm

I don't know if I'd agree with the 9 out of 10 thing... 9 out of 10 the transmissions that I've pulled or helped pull from junkyards work fine with no rebuild needed. I'd say 8 out of 10 times the car was hit ,1 out of 10 is the transmission going bad and the other 10 percent is something stupid... rust/headgasket/block erosion/turbo/"it's old"

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Fri May 02, 2008 5:37 pm

Jordan wrote:I don't know if I'd agree with the 9 out of 10 thing... 9 out of 10 the transmissions that I've pulled or helped pull from junkyards work fine with no rebuild needed. I'd say 8 out of 10 times the car was hit ,1 out of 10 is the transmission going bad and the other 10 percent is something stupid... rust/headgasket/block erosion/turbo/"it's old"

definitely, people junk c900s for really dumb reasons, or rust. 89-90 trannys are almost always still good, 91+ are usually good.

Paul

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Fri May 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Well the best bet for getting a working transmission out of the junk yard is to firstly check and see if there is some reason the car is there... rust or crash damage is a good one, so is an engine that's full of mochachino. If either of those are not there, Id highly suspect the trans.

Usually when I find a candidate that I suspect has a good trans, #1 thing I do is pull off the side cover and go fishing in the oil with a magnetic pick up tool. If you don't come out with big clumps of gear, there an an excellent chance that the trans will work, probably about a 3 out of 7 shot it will work 100% properly. Obviously you want an 89+ unit, IMO, the early units are not worth your time or the $10 trans gasket, regardless of the power you are planning on putting into them.
Less brake more gas!

Raul

Postby Raul » Wed May 07, 2008 1:26 pm

I had a chance to see 2007 9.5 2.3T under the hood and all I can say the cylinder head did not change at all externaly at least. I wonder if it is the same as older heads.

I bought a 1999 9.3 engine and I hear that is still T5, but head is the same as 2002 9.5 when I compared them.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed May 07, 2008 1:42 pm

The difference that I know about is that they changed the valve (stem) in the t7 heads to be thinner. We had a discussion about it in some other thread. IIRC, all viggens 99+ are t7 all other 9-3s are t5 until 2000 and all 9-5s are t7.

Raul

Postby Raul » Thu May 08, 2008 12:22 am

Jordan wrote:The difference that I know about is that they changed the valve (stem) in the t7 heads to be thinner. We had a discussion about it in some other thread. IIRC, all viggens 99+ are t7 all other 9-3s are t5 until 2000 and all 9-5s are t7.

well am looking at the valve at the intake port and it is much thinner than B202 head valve, but it then widens up as soon as it is comes up to the valve guide. I wonder if that is what you are talking about?

I went to saabsite and seems like 1999 heads had the valves by itself. And also I checked few other sites and seems like they have plenty of 2000+ year "thin" valves for sale but non for the older models, it makes me think that the thinner valves are not that durable.

allessence
Nickname: allessence

Postby allessence » Fri May 09, 2008 10:51 am

Just stumbled across this post. I usually don't check the racing section since I'm not a racer.

Anyhow, I have replaced 3 transmissions in the last year 91-94's models. 2 with the same failure mode of 4th gear syncro spring coming out and completely chickletting the gear teeth on the cluster and 4th gear, 1 1988 with broken chain drive,

Big FMIC double pass direct in, direct out, ported, polished 2.0 head, 28lbs boost, tuned length exhaust header, 30lbs injectors, alum flywheel, 6 puck 215mm disk with plate, oil catch can for both intake manifold and compressor intake, No limited slip at the time.

Never dyno'd the car, but it screamed. I could peel tires whether trying or not on dry roads, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th. 5th on wet roads or dry roads in the corners.
205/50-16 tires. nothing fancy.

Over the long haul the original 2.0 motor finally had enough and the piston rings were leaking. Excess piston play from previous owners K&N filter missing center section and pulling in dirty air and all the abuse 181,000 miles. Anyhow, the car wouldn't pass emissions this last time around so I put a stock 2.0 turbo motor into it.

Is it as much fun? No!!!! :cry:

I will eventually put all the go fast goodies back onto this engine, but for the time being I'm running 15-20lbs of boost and it's plenty. Especially with premium being $3.85G

If you can muster 400HP, go for it. But, from experience I was going thru 2 sets of tires a year. One set of winters and one set of summers,

Have fun. Life is to short. :D
Okay, so I'm female and like SAAB's go figure. Mind you, I like a good set of strappy sandal's just about as much though they don't take you thru the corners as fast. LOL

Rosie: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... =Jennifers

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”