who all is running T5 heads on b202's??

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
TurboWookiee
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby TurboWookiee » Thu May 01, 2008 1:13 pm

oh k enough with the joking around so any other issues here??? thanks for some help
have a good day i'm off to work...
it's only fun building saabs when u break them...

www.snailspeedcarclub.com western pa's only all forced induction car club

1990 SPG "Kaos" the project that some day will be completed
1987 SPG clone "Wookiee"
1987 Buick beater DD
i want a NG as a DD

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Thu May 01, 2008 1:35 pm

TurboWookiee wrote:thanks crazyswede i was starting to get the vibe i get from people on saabnet n such,?

The day that this place becomes saabnet, is the day we shut the site down and burn the servers. When I drove a Saab, I got off of Saabnet for a reason...

but anyways... take the advice people give you here. These are all people who have broken probably every single part that you can have on a Saab.
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Thu May 01, 2008 1:39 pm

Wait, is your name Chatham? Do you know a Chris McCardle?

If so, I've met you.
-Max

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Thu May 01, 2008 3:44 pm

I know Luke has a couple shots of the head, there is at least one place that needs to be "filled in" or maybe that was on the block.

The T5 head is definitely doable, Luke's car has one (though I'm not sure which one exactly, I want to say it's a 2.0 turbo head).

I think the main issues relating to transmission failure is who is driving and how they are driving. Luke's car make a good amount of power (not 400) but the advantage he's got most of the time is slippery surfaces so the transmission doesn't have to deal with a lot of "Shock" type stress.
I've also heard heat is a major concern so a saabrally.com diff cover with a fluid cooler setup would probably help *wink wink nudge nudge*

Welcome to the site, and remember we're a bunch or sarcastic bastards so please keep that in mind when you read comments. (though I heard the midget thing was in fact legit)
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu May 01, 2008 4:00 pm

airsweden wrote:Its all my fault......... I probably should have used some smiley face emo-cons in my first post :(

As for the midgets.......... I'm not into that stuff anymore man. Now its all about sex robots. I'm working out a container full from Lithuania, are you in Mongo?

Put me down for 3. Who am i going to get my midgets from now?
I am the 73%

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu May 01, 2008 4:03 pm

Wookie,

I understand your frustrations about negativity, personally I think the endless "weak tranny" stuff makes me want to vomit and is way overblown. People that have never even owned a classic saab tell me they wont get one because of the gearboxes... thats funny I've been driving them daily for almost 13 years and NEVER had a failure that left me stranded.
The thing that you have to understand is that the primary focus of this forum is racing. For simplicities sake, lets define racing as getting a car down a given stretch of road/track (with turns!) as quickly as possible... Anybody that has spent anytime behind the wheel of a car on a track/stage and been wooped by cars with much less horsepower understands that while important, power plays only a small part of the overall equation. So when you come out with some arbitrary horsepower number like that and post it a forum where there a few people with some REAL racing experience, you better be ready to answer the obvious questions of WHY.

I am an absolute died in wool SAAB fan, but I recognize the fact that the car has its limitations, like any car, and respect it for the fun,quirky,versatile car it is and don't try to make it into something its not.

I hope I don't come across as a jerk here, I don't pretend to know anything more than you, but I might have learned a thing or two the hard way as well.. I just thought I'd given an explanation of why you seem to be getting the reactions you are.

Josh, I'll take two... you want your midget back? I'm bored with it.
Last edited by Luke on Thu May 01, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Thu May 01, 2008 4:29 pm

We need a disclaimer on the front page: Those without thick skin need not apply.
-Max

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Thu May 01, 2008 4:29 pm

and just to be clear, that quirky saab won the 2wd class and finished in the top 10 overall at Sandblast 2008 which is no small feat.

banner ideas:
"Saabrally.com - dripping with sarcasm"
"Saabrally.com - flame suit required newb!"
"Saabrally.com - if you don't like insults, you won't like us"
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Thu May 01, 2008 6:33 pm

running a T5 head = good idea, if you are willing to do some custom work

400 HP + C-900 trans = bad idea.

If you actually had a reliable 400 WHP going into a C-900 trans, you probably would have even more torque, and in-fact be doing a trans more often than every week... probably more like every time you went to WOT and got traction in 5th. The many weak points that start to show themselves around the 200 HP mark, I would imagine you'd find a whole set of new weak points if you were to fix all the standard failure areas. Saab rated the transmission at 185 HP, and that's probably it's "totally reliable" limit if driven hard.

Some people have good luck with the 900 transmissions, but there are also plenty of people (like myself) who have just about lost count of how many C-900 transmissions they have broken and had to replace. Granted, I do drive 30K miles or more a year and have for quite a while, mostly in 190+HP C-900's... So I have gotten good at replacing em obviously. ;)
Less brake more gas!

Raul

Postby Raul » Thu May 01, 2008 6:51 pm

Code: Select all

Some people have good luck with the 900 transmissions, but there are also plenty of people (like myself) who have just about lost count of how many C-900 transmissions they have broken and had to replace. Granted, I do drive 30K miles or more a year and have for quite a while, mostly in 190+HP C-900's... So I have gotten good at replacing em obviously.

I don't have problem with saab gearboxes. You are doing something very wrong, you probably don't know how to drive stick shift.

TurboWookiee, please do not pay attention to Delorean, he is almost negative on everything all the time.

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Thu May 01, 2008 7:35 pm

matt wrote:and just to be clear, that quirky saab won the 2wd class and finished in the top 10 overall at Sandblast 2008 which is no small feat.

banner ideas:
"Saabrally.com - dripping with sarcasm"
"Saabrally.com - flame suit required newb!"
"Saabrally.com - if you don't like insults, you won't like us"

Actually "Flame suit required" isn't half bad...
-Max

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Thu May 01, 2008 7:36 pm

Raul wrote:

Some people have good luck with the 900 transmissions, but there are also plenty of people (like myself) who have just about lost count of how many C-900 transmissions they have broken and had to replace. Granted, I do drive 30K miles or more a year and have for quite a while, mostly in 190+HP C-900's... So I have gotten good at replacing em obviously.

I don't have problem with saab gearboxes. You are doing something very wrong, you probably don't know how to drive stick shift.

TurboWookiee, please do not pay attention to Delorean, he is almost negative on everything all the time.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

God... im just not quite sure if i'm laughing with Raul, or at Raul...
-Max

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Thu May 01, 2008 7:59 pm

max wrote:
Raul wrote:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

God... im just not quite sure if i'm laughing with Raul, or at Raul...

he really can pack an amazing amount of irony into a single post, thats for sure.

also, for the record, Delorean cant drive stick. :wink: :laugh:

dont let us discourage you from making 400hp, but keep in mind how often those other high hp c900s are driven in a year. GM's car has been broken much more often than not for as long as i can remember, they become very maintenence intensive cars above 250whp or so. That said, theyre damn fun with that kinda power!

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Thu May 01, 2008 8:24 pm

I'm going to make a new forum "General maintenance and repairs". Kinda like a preemptive strike sorta thing to handle the future load.
-Max

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Thu May 01, 2008 8:25 pm

haha, Raul you are too much :P

And yes, I can drive stick ;) Have been doing it for quite some time now, just have to select the gear you want, plant gas on floor and release Spec stage 3 clutch :wink: :twisted:

And yes I actually have that clutch in my car. makes for great on boost 2nd gear take off's!
Less brake more gas!

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”