Rally TN

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
GRMPer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Re: Rally TN

Postby GRMPer » Mon May 26, 2008 5:31 am

Pretty solid engine mounts...the engine doesn't rock forward and back that much (if any)

Ok, I'll start looking for a better five speed. will have to get through STPR as-is.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Mon May 26, 2008 9:39 am

Yeah, it sounds like there is something wrong with that gearbox. I have never seen a fluid change bring back a gearbox that was popping out of gear. Like I mentioned before, you really want to get a 89-90 900 gearbox, they are about the best old style 900 box you can get your hands on for an affordable (under $100) price tag. Also taking it apart, replacing bearings and syncro springs (and what ever else is broken or worn) is not a bad idea at all, especially since you are installing an LSD anyway.

Oh, and before you swap it, burnout vids! :lol:
Less brake more gas!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon May 26, 2008 10:17 am

As stated the later 900 gearboxes are a little better but if you plan on running your current B motor then any 900 gearbox should work just fine.
I am the 73%

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Mon May 26, 2008 12:29 pm

Ok, anybody have a decent 5-speed (or even chain driven 4-speed from a Turbo) that they'd want to sell and deliver at STPR?

Per

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Mon May 26, 2008 4:46 pm

I might be willing to grab you one from one of my local yards provided I can get some assistance from some of the local PA folks at pulling it out. When you have several people working on it, it makes damn short work of it. I know they are here ;) There are actually 3 good "potential candidates" at one of my local yards. I want to get all 3 in one day :lol:
Less brake more gas!

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Mon May 26, 2008 5:10 pm

Cool. I've got a set of shelbys for tradebait, or just cash.

Also, I was noticing a little fitting on the bottom of the transmission near the engine drain....It looks like I could put some sort of fourth engine engine mount there...think it's strong enough for a small rubber engine mount? I can bolt it to my uber-skid plate. that would help the engine from doing the hokey pokey.

busy Memorial day. took off anti-roll bars, mounted gravels, put on visual package, redid front parking lights with 194-style sockets, started putting handbrake back in (bungy to rollcage for 'parking brake'....) and changed transmission fluid.

Per

happyandy
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby happyandy » Mon May 26, 2008 10:32 pm

DeLorean wrote:I might be willing to grab you one from one of my local yards provided I can get some assistance from some of the local PA folks at pulling it out. When you have several people working on it, it makes damn short work of it. I know they are here ;) There are actually 3 good "potential candidates" at one of my local yards. I want to get all 3 in one day :lol:

I am interested in helping out. pm sent :thumbsup:

Sean Tennis
Number of Saabs currently owned: 30

Postby Sean Tennis » Mon May 26, 2008 10:55 pm

When did the car jump out of gear? What was the road surface like when the car jumped out of gear? Think man THINK!!!
IMHO,
Sean Tennis

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Tue May 27, 2008 6:01 am

It was when you lifted off for a corner and then got back on it. Not road surface, throttle drop/reapplication. Did it intermittently, most often when it was later in the stage.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue May 27, 2008 8:11 am

Nice Job Per!

Can't wait to see some pics and video.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue May 27, 2008 10:47 am

GRMPer wrote:It was when you lifted off for a corner and then got back on it. Not road surface, throttle drop/reapplication. Did it intermittently, most often when it was later in the stage.

Congrats on the finish!

So does it pop out in any gear? I know you put in some stiff side motor mounts so that should probably get rid of any problems but what is the front motor mount? Have you heard the alternator contact the air box?
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Sean Tennis

Postby Sean Tennis » Tue May 27, 2008 8:07 pm

GRMPer wrote:It was when you lifted off for a corner and then got back on it. Not road surface, throttle drop/reapplication. Did it intermittently, most often when it was later in the stage.

Did it do it in any gear or 1&3 only, or 2&4 only type situation?
IMHO,

Sean Tennis

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Wed May 28, 2008 7:17 am

It was doing it in 3rd...then it was just 4th. So...it's either... But, I was having engine mount issues (had to rebuild the L one in a 20 minute service, including pulling the skid.
I've now through-bolted the mount, so that shouldn't be a problem any more.

so maybe the engine moved relative to the chassis during that, causing the 'shift' from 3 to 4th

I'll go beat the snot out of it to see if I fixed it.

It didn't contact the air box like it did at Sandblast though..still have scars from that one.

Sean Tennis

Postby Sean Tennis » Wed May 28, 2008 10:17 am

What kind of shift coupler are you using, clamp or pin on the rod from inside the car? Also is the rubber in the shift rod (inside car for accident) stable or does it flex or has this been changed out?
IMHO,

Sean Tennis

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Wed May 28, 2008 10:20 am

It's a u-joint style coupler...rubber 'grommet' inside car was stiff, I thought...although was probably going to replace it with a chunk of steel.
Per

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”