B Engine Parts

Post for sale/wanted items here
conoltyr
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

B Engine Parts

Postby conoltyr » Tue May 27, 2008 10:49 am

I am pulling my engine (a '79 99 GL - street car) and would like to go through it and replace things that should be replaced before putting the engine back in. However, I am having difficulty in finding parts for the B engine. I would like to look into performance upgrades too. Where is the best place to find engine parts? And where can I find hot cams and the like? I would like to keep it original if I can find the parts. I have a new timing chain kit already, but I know I will eventually need water pump parts and other stuff that I cannot seem to find. How do you rally-ers keep these great cars running strong? THANKS!
Bob C
'79 99 GL (& more)

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: B Engine Parts

Postby Crazyswede » Tue May 27, 2008 11:26 am

Jack and Pat Lawrence, Motor Sport Service (MSS) Jamestown NY

(716) 665-4200
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue May 27, 2008 1:04 pm

Yes , MSS for performance goodies. IPS (ips-parts.com) has many parts. Waterpumps you will just have to wait to find one that pops up or convert to electric water pump like Seth (CrazySwede) and I did. The standard pumps are relatively reliable and electric pumps are expensive.. but its a trade off for peace of mind (so far) and parts availability. Most gaskets can be replaced by anaerobic sealants (loctite 518?). Other than that, horde everything you can find because it is not going to get any easier :P

sonett
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby sonett » Wed May 28, 2008 1:00 pm

Yes, MSS would be a good source for parts for you over in the US. B series water pumps do come up for sale on ebay, you just need to keep checking, the repair kits are available from Sweden and other sources, but be mindfull of the bearing in some of those aftermarket kits, it's quite often a far east make and the quality is no so good, pay the extra and fit a SKF bearing, i would not dismiss the idea of a good quality electric water pump though.
Brand new camshafts are available from Catcams and you can also have your own profile put onto the cam if you know what exactly want. Very soon adjustable vernier pulleys will be available from Catcams for both the H and B series engines, i have sent them two original pulleys via the agent here in the UK.
Parts are sometimes remanufatured by enthusiasts, Luke offers some and i have had rack mounts/rack repair kits/front engine mounts and nylon wishbone bushes made, but it usually means a minimum order to get a batch made.
The owners club in Sweden offer some parts, but you may have to wait quite sometime, because Rolf Jensen, the parts guy has just passed away.
Don't throw away your worn timing chain guides as these are NLA, you should be able to get the guides relined.
Bearings and gasket sets are still available through the usual aftermarket parts suppliers.
'87 900i
'83 99GL
'76 EMS
'00 Evo 6 tme Red
'00 Evo 6 tme Black

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Thu May 29, 2008 12:23 am

you could try emailing this guy and see if its still available:
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/677432887.html

conoltyr
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby conoltyr » Thu May 29, 2008 6:38 am

Thanks for all the help!
Bob C

'79 99 GL (& more)

GRMPer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby GRMPer » Thu May 29, 2008 7:49 am

I spent about 1200 on parts (mostly via MSS) and about 600 on machining to do our B engine with high compression pistons, cam and a light flywheel.

Per

Neil_G
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby Neil_G » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi Sonett

Very soon adjustable vernier pulleys will be available from Catcams for both the H and B series engines, i have sent them two original pulleys via the agent here in the UK.

Has any progress been made in relation to the manufacture of a vernier camshaft sprocket for the B series engines as I am chasing one for my 99 turbo project.

I know nutcase had some made by Kent cams over 5 years ago.
If the project becomes a group buy and needs people to commit to buying, then please put my name down.

Alternatively, if anyone has one they are willing to sell, please get in contact with me.

regards
Neil

GOLFGURU
Nickname: GURU
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby GOLFGURU » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Crazyswede wrote:Jack and Pat Lawrence, Motor Sport Service (MSS) Jamestown NY

(716) 665-4200
Thanks for the info,Jack was very helpful..joe :thumbsup:

Return to “FOR SALE / WANTED”