Post Pics of your current daily driver(s)

Media related to saabs and/or rally
DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Post Pics of your current daily driver(s)

Postby DeLorean » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:32 am

I have 3 that I have been alternating between at the moment, the 86 900 by far gets the most use. It's nearly up to 190K miles, I got it in Dallas Georgia for $200 on ebay about 3 years ago with 155K on the clock, and it sat around for maybe a year before I did the turbo conversion to it, which made it acceptable to drive. It's used in all weather, however it will never go out when there is salt on the roads, which generally makes it be "down" for 4 months out of the year around here :(

Pic taken in New-Mexico. Made the trip problem free, some states (Ohio for example...) I am fairly sure we averaged about 90 MPH through. Those 900's sure are smooth running highway cars when everything is "just so"

Since I lost the hatch, I had to get a hauler! Picked this one up down in the DC area for $500 with a "bad trans". Well the actual problem was a leaky ATF cooler hose, which made it down on 3 quarts of ATF. Re-filled it, and drove it home. No trans issues what so ever, Slow, handles like a mercedes wagon, but Turbo Diesel!

And I more recently picked this up, as my exclusive winter car. It's a 1987 Alfa Romeo Milano Verde, 3.0 Liter. RWD, Factory LSD, and it's actually fairly fun to drive. This one was the more expensive one at $800, but I still think it was a fairly good deal as it ran and drove nice up to a week ago when it seems I burnt an exhaust valve while making a "maximum speed test." Seems like the exhaust valves may have been out of adjustment :yay: I should have ti fixed by next week if all goes as planned...

So what is everyone else driving these days?
Less brake more gas!

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: Post Pics of your current daily driver(s)

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:41 pm

I sold my 9-5 Aero back in april and since have been driving my 86 900 base model. I picked up the car at an auction for 200 bucks about 7-8 years ago. I get flack about the Dolomite Sand, but the paint was in nice shape when I got it so I just worked with that. Originally did the 2 tone in a forest green but decided to respray it black. Of all the Saabs that I have owned I would say this has been my fav in terms of bang for your buck. Putting together a new motor for it. Plan on running a few events on the PHA hillclimb series next year, and maybe a track day.

It has a ton of stuff done to it.
Boxed control arms
poly bushings all around
sway bars
KYB shocks
Jamex springs
AC delete
racing brake pads
S&R skid plate
custom grilles with wire mesh
hood vents from sunbird turbo
roof scoop
S&R rear ducktail
blacked out trim
hybrid roof rack
detachable Hella lights
turbo air dam
oil cooler (16vT)
87 16v bottom end
shaved 8v head
MSS race header
free flow exhaust (cat delete)
steelies with center caps
rear seat delete
Corbeau front seats
Safety Devices cage
black interior/ carpet
no insulation
99 EMS steering wheel
short shifter
acessory gauges
vent covers
lightened flywheel
Magnecor wires
swiss cheese airbox
90+ turbo clutch
Im sure Im forgetting something.

This is the street trim setup, I typically strip off un-needed stuff and change up the configuration if I run an auto-x, track day, or hill climb. Or even at Maple Grove Dragstrip. Its still a work in progress so to speak . I dont know the actual mileage since the odometer doesnt always work, but if I had to guess I would say 250-275k.
Attachments
HELLA 3.jpg
HELLA2.jpg
HELLA.jpg
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SWfpTiO2D8

5 door FTMFW!

$100 bucks bitches!

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:54 am

Quin, I nearly bought that exact car about a month ago, same color same body style combo. The "story" of why I didn't get it is posted on Saablink, it is quite the story....

SwedeSport, that's a nice ride. I especially like the spoiler, it's quite an interesting look.
Less brake more gas!

SaabsBreakDown

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:46 pm

Yeah I saw that story. Mine had a bit of a story too.

This one was on craigs list for $150.

I offered $100. He agreed and I paypaled the money and he sent me the title and keys in the mail.. but the mail got lost or stolen. So we agreed I would show up and take care of the Saab problem and he would help me take care of the title problem. I showed up with a tank of air, a battery, and about 40 saab keys and me and Kaylan had the sucker running in about 10 minutes, aired up, and ready to go. The guy informed me it had some suspension problems and that the radio didn't work with the head lights off. No big deal, I've had plenty of suspension problems.

the "suspension problems" it had turned out to be the drivers side front wheel lugs on loose, and after it flew into the woods on my drive home and I had the car pulled out of the ditch with a tow truck (thanks AAA) the suspension isn't nearly as bad.

I plan to check at least hand tightness of lug nuts on cars i buy from now on. usually your there putting air in the tire anyway. I would have noticed if I had checked. I think one of his friends had a flat or something because the spare was flat and not strapped down right.

Decent car though. Had to do the water pump seal. Stuffed it under a jeep a few weeks ago, thus the new (old?) hood.

Don't have to worry about locking it!!! :)

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:16 am

We as Saab owners (old classic Saabs that is) have the best security system going,... we drive cars that are really only attractive to other Saab junkies. I can leave my window down at the mall with the keys in the ignition, for hours, and my car will be there when I'm done shopping. As long as the stereo system crap is not in plain view, these things are pretty much off the radar to a car thief. Besides, if your looking for an easy target and an easy getaway, are you really gonna steal one thats cunningly disguised as a rally car? Um,... Be on the lookout for an oddball looking car with an 80's paint job with scoops, spoilers and a shit load of Hella's. Last spotted in the vicinity of the local shopping center. Ah,... can you say BUSTED! I knew ya could! Even VIPER can't afford that kind of protection!
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

SaabsBreakDown

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:19 pm

Haha. Yeah, my car is slightly more rally-tastic with its new sticker after the successful broken windshield transplant:

the damage is only to the outer pane and doesn't bother me, as long as no John Q-laws stick their nose in my car I should be fine. It goes from the top all the way to the side, but went right past a crack I had drilled and filled, and found another way to the edge, so it appears that procedure works well.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:42 am

What did you use to drill and fill it? I've used one of those kits you can get at NAPA that has a little syringe with a suction cup base. I've only used it on chips with little rings around them (pick at the hole with a thumb tack, squirt the goop on, cover with plastic sheet, wait to dry). It worked pretty well but I've never thought of trying a whole crack with it.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SaabsBreakDown

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:21 pm

I used a glass professional :)

he used a dremel tool to drill it. no shit, the li-ion one. and then he used a syringe and then shot it with those UV guns like the dentist has. he didn't charge me since he told me it wouldn't stop the crack but i told him i really wanted it done. I think i should go back and pay him now that we know it DID work.

We couldn't use those napa things because this was right toward the edge and only came about 1/4 - 3/8 out of the gasket. the idea with drilling is just to get the resin in there.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:39 am

Pretty cool, I'll have to keep that in mind. How big were the holes he drilled?

We have a large hand-held UV light for curing glue at work. It would cover probably a 8" x 2" surface. I'd just have to get the right goop for the glass. Oh, and a broken windshield :-P
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SaabsBreakDown

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:52 pm

the hole was about 3/32. very small. but he went sort of around with gyrating motions as he grinded his way in there. either he really knew what he was doing, or he had no idea and just was faking it. really i dont think glass is too scientific, but the thing is the enormous risk involved with experimenting.. that's why i didn't want to mess with it!

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:55 am

Back to the original topic.

Almost time to switch over to my snow tires here in VT.

99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:58 am

SaabsBreakDown wrote:the hole was about 3/32. very small. but he went sort of around with gyrating motions as he grinded his way in there. either he really knew what he was doing, or he had no idea and just was faking it. really i dont think glass is too scientific, but the thing is the enormous risk involved with experimenting.. that's why i didn't want to mess with it!

That's what she said?

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:24 pm

IMG_1131.jpg

Yeah it's not a Saab, but... what are you gonna do about it?
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

SaabsBreakDown

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:19 pm

Well max, at least when you break down you can just call up one of your friends with their saab hatch backs and instead of a tow truck just put your mini in their trunk.

So do you autocross that thing?

Return to “Photos and Video”