Media related to saabs and/or rally
Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Rover stuff

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:31 am

Ok, Saab break:

I am working on 3 rovers now. a 71 Series 3, a 68 Series 2A 109", and my hybrid is on hold. The first two will be up for sale when they are ready in order to fund other projects and pay bills. But...came across this photo yesterday which is very similar to how the hybrid will look when finished.

I am the 73%

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Re: Rover stuff

Postby airsweden » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:37 am

At first I thought maybe this was a pic of your truck but then it dawned on me that the background was a little too fancy for Charlie's place.
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:34 am

I do like the color. I need to talk to Tim about having him do some paint work in the spring/Summer...I'd like to have the panels done up with a good epoxy paint as those paints seem quite durable and look great. Thinking all exterior panels will be the dark green and all interior and engine bay will be white. Planning on either fitting a Mercedes 300TD engine to a jeep AX15 5 speed gearbox to run with the rover series transfer case, or using a Saab 2.3T motor.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:40 pm

You should use an off white or light tan. It looks good against dark green and hides the dirt better than bright white.

I think I know of a cheap Mercedes 300TD for sale (I forget what model it is, but that sounds right). I'll ask if you're interested.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:32 pm

never hurts to ask.
I am the 73%

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:33 pm

I like the Mercedes engine idea and how about that color they call camel or whatever... that seems to suit these things well.

I've seen some international scouts with a Nissan straight 6 diesel and 4wd. Is any of that gear worth messing with?

With a scout's reputation for rusting, there might be some "parts car" quality and priced rigs out there with a low mileage drivetrain.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:02 pm

Scouts do rust but they are hard to find because they had came with Dana 44 axles, their power steering is easy to adapt to other vehicles, and the 4 speed transmissions some has are quite durable.

The Nissan engine would probably be fine but they are not very common.
I am the 73%

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:21 pm

Bummer..... the thought of trying to figure out mismatched bell housings, clutches, engines, drive shafts and transfer cases is making it hard for me to take a nap right now.

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:48 pm

How about a 2.7 tdi out of a wrecked sprinter van? Or is that too $$?

Edit- yep just looked on ebay... :-O
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:51 pm

max wrote:How about a 2.7 tdi out of a wrecked sprinter van? Or is that too $$?

Edit- yep just looked on ebay... :-O

The inline 5 cylinders have been selling on ebay for $3000 to $5000 and that doesn't include any of the electronics or wiring harnesses needed to run them. I'd love one of those for an engine but it would be very expensive.
I am the 73%

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Thats a cool looking rig! The 300TD motor would be real nice in that, they don't make huge power, but I'd imagine the original motor didnt either, and the torque is excellent. Also nice to have a motor you basically don't have to worry about breaking down ever when you are out in the wilderness.

Paul

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:59 am

EastCoastRovers says "The Tdi engines installed by ECR have no computers, no ECUs, no complicated wiring, and only simple sensors for items like temp. gauges and such. In fact, the Tdi can be run by one wire in a worst case situation. The fuel cut off solenoid is the only vital system on the Tdi, and you could limp your Tdi Rover home with just one wire and a battery."

Pretty cool.
-Max

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:22 pm

max wrote:EastCoastRovers says "The Tdi engines installed by ECR have no computers, no ECUs, no complicated wiring, and only simple sensors for items like temp. gauges and such. In fact, the Tdi can be run by one wire in a worst case situation. The fuel cut off solenoid is the only vital system on the Tdi, and you could limp your Tdi Rover home with just one wire and a battery."

Pretty cool.

They are referring to Rover TDI engines. In simple form any diesel will work as long as you can turn it over....mechanical pumps can move the fuel and there is no spark....perhaps the one wire is for the glow plugs. I am sure you could run a sprinter with minimal wires as well but it won't be as efficient. I think they have a bit more complexity built into their engine management systems. A 300TD out of an earlier car would work well given they were pretty much all mechanical...as pointed out they don't have a lot of hp but its the smooth torque at low rpms that is so beneficial from a Turbo diesel.
I am the 73%

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:31 pm

I know it's for a Rover TDI, but I figured a benz TDI would operate pretty much the same. They say the one wire is for the fuel cutoff solenoid. I'm not sure what that does, and why you'd need it.
-Max

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:39 pm

max wrote:I know it's for a Rover TDI, but I figured a benz TDI would operate pretty much the same. They say the one wire is for the fuel cutoff solenoid. I'm not sure what that does, and why you'd need it.

Basically in a diesel there is no ignition...so no coil, spark plugs etc. The only way to shut the engine off is to shut the flow of fuel off to the engine. So you shut the flow of fuel off and the engine uses up whats left and then stops moving. If you have an electric fuel pump this will likely be faster then a mechanical one where you actually have to shut off and block the flow to the pump. Diesels use a fuel distributor that is set in time with the engine to deliver fuel. In a sense it works like an electronic distributor but it times fuel instead of spark. I think some of the more modern engines have gone to electronic pulsed injectors which are more efficient.
I am the 73%

Return to “Photos and Video”