Rover stuff

Media related to saabs and/or rally
Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: Rover stuff

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:49 pm

"A large reason for this improvement comes from the development of new injection systems that enable smoother operation. First unveiled in 1995, common rail direct injection (CRD) uses one pump to feed a primary fuel supply linked to the injectors. This system produces more power with less fuel, while making for a smoother, quieter running engine. Sophisticated electronic controls used in conjunction with CRD provide a wider powerband, smooth operation and less black smoke."

"Dodge Sprinter: Leading the way into the future is Dodge's Sprinter with its compact 2.7-liter I5 turbo diesel engine that delivers 243 lb.-ft. of torque and 154 hp. Like the Cummins powertrain in the Ram pickup, this lightweight package is also fueled by the CRD Injection system resulting in a smoother-running and much quieter diesel. The small displacement diesel is now standard equipment on all trims offering increased fuel economy and ample pulling power for even the heaviest loads."

Just like a Saab with its fuel rail feeding pulsed injectors:

The New Way: Electronic Common Rail Direct Injection (CRD) http://alternativefuels.about.com/od/di ... selcrd.htm

"Modern diesels owe their resurgence in popularity to advances in fuel delivery and engine management systems that allow the engines to return power, performance and emissions equivalent to their gasoline counterparts, while simultaneously producing superior fuel economy.

It's the high pressure fuel rail and the computer controlled electronic injectors that make all the difference. In the common rail system, the fuel pump charges the fuel rail at a pressure of up to 25,000 psi--but unlike indirect injection pumps--it is not involved in fuel discharge. Under the control of the onboard computer, this fuel quantity and pressure accumulates in the rail independently of engine speed and load.

Each fuel injector is mounted directly above the piston within the cylinder head (there is no pre-chamber) and is connected to the fuel rail by rigid steel lines that can withstand the high pressure. This high pressure allows for a very fine injector orifice that completely atomizes the fuel and precludes the need for a pre-chamber. The actuation of the injectors comes via a stack of piezo electric crystal wafers that move the jet needle in tiny increments allowing for the spray of fuel. Piezo crystals function by expanding rapidly when an electric charge is applied to them. Like the fuel pump, the injectors are also controlled by the the engine computer and can be fired in rapid succession several times during the injection cycle. With this precise control over injector firings, smaller, staggered quantities of fuel delivery (5 or more) can be timed over the course of the power stroke to promote complete and accurate combustion. In addition to timing control, the short duration, high pressure injections allow a finer and more accurate spray pattern that also supports better and more complete atomization and combustion.

Through these developments and improvements, the modern common rail direct injection diesel engine is quieter, more fuel efficient, cleaner, and more powerful than the indirect mechanical injection units they have replaced."

I am the 73%

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:46 am

Interesting- shows how little I know about diesels, and all the stuff I never bothered to look up. I never really thought about how a diesel shuts off either... :lol:

So basically the older style diesels just had a mechanical pump that was responsible for pressure, as well as the timing of the pulses?
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:53 am

max wrote:Interesting- shows how little I know about diesels, and all the stuff I never bothered to look up. I never really thought about how a diesel shuts off either... :lol:

So basically the older style diesels just had a mechanical pump that was responsible for pressure, as well as the timing of the pulses?

Correct....sort of like a CIS injections system where the there was a fuel distributor that was timed to the engine somehow....some were gear driven or belt/chain driven in time with the crank or camshaft. You could in a sense advance or retard some units to adjust when the fuel arrived in the cylinder. The more modern systems are directly injecting the fuel into the cylinder and using individual pulsed injectors. The pressures are much higher than with a gas engine because the fuel is injected on the compression stroke and a diesel engine can have up to 100:1 compression ratio vs 10:1 or up to 14:1 on a gas engine.
I am the 73%

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:33 pm

I've only heard of diesels with around 20:1 compression... what kind has 100:1? :-O These are all good things to know, because I'm still lusting after a 300tdi Rover.
-Max

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:55 pm

max wrote:I've only heard of diesels with around 20:1 compression... what kind has 100:1? :-O These are all good things to know, because I'm still lusting after a 300tdi Rover.

oops I think that was a brain slip on my part...I don't think there are any diesels with that high of a compression ratio...I think they max out around 25:1. I think when I wrote that I had been talking to someone at work about 2 strokes and about how modern 2 stroke engines run a gas oil mixture in the 80:1 range and up to 100:1.
I am the 73%

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:15 am

It might be in your future to design the world's first 100:1 compression diesel engine. :lol:
-Max

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:44 pm

max wrote:It might be in your future to design the world's first 100:1 compression diesel engine. :lol:

Well they say the higher the compression the more efficient they are.
I am the 73%

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:37 am

Crazyswede wrote:
max wrote:It might be in your future to design the world's first 100:1 compression diesel engine. :lol:

Well they say the higher the compression the more efficient they are.

We'll call it the Mongo engine. Better get started.
-Max

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:07 pm

Well after a long weekend of wrenching the rover is all set to go:

I am the 73%

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:34 am

That's awesome. I need to own it.
-Max

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:30 pm

max wrote:That's awesome. I need to own it.

me too. I wish that one was mine....that one has a Ford 302 V8, Ford T18 4 speed gearbox...not sure what its running for axles or if it even has a rover frame. But its a nice truck.
I am the 73%

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:47 am

I love the rack too, and the bumpers.
-Max

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:06 am

max wrote:I love the rack too, and the bumpers.

I think instead of the 302...which is a tight fit...I'd rather put in a 4.3 V6 which has plenty of power and is a lot shorter. I'd also like to put in a Mercedes 5 cylinder turbo diesel which has been done. Right now the 5 door rover is for sale and on hold in the project status...Hoping to have my 73 88" assembled in a month or two...waiting on some bulkhead repairs.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:21 pm

I saw one of these at the store yesterday

The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:02 am

An old Disco is most likely what I'd buy when it's time for me to go out and get a 4x4, but only if it's one of the pre-01 center locking diff models. None of this electronic diff crap for me please.
-Max

Return to “Photos and Video”