2010 Bogus Basin Video

Media related to saabs and/or rally
99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

2010 Bogus Basin Video

Postby 99Super » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:49 pm

This was my second fastest run. I screwed up and the battery died before my last run :bawl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnajJtTIUmw

john

Luke
Site Admin

Re: 2010 Bogus Basin Video

Postby Luke » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:53 pm

wow that looks like an awesome hill, you had a really nice line, utilizing the whole road I like the rally style cutting on some of the rough inside corners, hehe.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:48 pm

Thanks!!
It's a tough hill and I learn a bit more about how to drive it every time I enter. I'll try to get some older videos up soon.

john

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:58 pm

99Super wrote:Thanks!!
It's a tough hill and I learn a bit more about how to drive it every time I enter. I'll try to get some older videos up soon.

john

How would you rate the difference with the LSD this year? New motor too?

Vid looked great. Saw a few skid marks off in to the guard rails.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:07 pm

That looked like fun!

Cool video.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:17 pm

Dennis,
Well, I gained 2 seconds over my previous best but I always seem to improve by a second or 2 every year. The LSD eliminated my inside tire spin, but now you can hear my clutch slipping a bit exiting the hairpins (especially Turn 3), that's new, so I have to attack the clutch/flywheel soon.
You can see in the vid where on exiting Turn 5 "Sky" that the LSD tries to suck me back into the corner. It's a weird feeling not having a strong centering force. It may be time to dial in more caster. :dunno:
I don't think I have much more horesepower over my old "B" motor yet. I was running 14-15lbs through it but only about 8 in this motor. It really felt about the same as far as that goes, but there is obviously plenty more HP in there, where I felt I was nearing my limits on the B.

This mountain eats cars every year. My first run video of this event shows a large patch of oil-dri exiting 6 "the Rocks" (AKA Porsche Packer) where the Cayman got killed. Another older event video shows two big spins exiting Turn 4 "The Esses", where a 911 met it's fate.

Also, if you look to the right side of the finish, you can see a huge oil trail where the kit Cobra blew it's engine as it crossed the line...

Jordan, This hill is hoot to drive, but you have to be a bit :crazy: to truly go fast...

john

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:51 pm

Looks like it could be bad to go off at some spots. Looks like a blast. Its always ashame when you dont have an out of the car perspective. I can never recruit anyone to stand in the spectator spots and take footage of me approaching and exiting the section. Even when I can get someone to do it their camera skills usually leave something to be desired. Between some stills, a few staging vids, some commentary shots, in car, and out of car footage, you can put together a documentary of an event. Put it to music and get the whole experience. Im in the same boat as you with only good in car footage. Its hard to tell my car apart from any other when all I have video of is the dashboard and the road.

Looks like a cool course, I would like to try to try events around the country, but the travel cost would preclude that. Its mostly local events in the budget for me.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:45 am

2 second improvement, that is awesome. Clutch slip? Well you know how to fix that. Gregg Cronn was "bitchin" about that when we put in his FMIC. He replaced the clutch with new, now it slipping again with his T5 engine management. Oh well, if you want to dance you have to pay the band.
Winter project the T5 install? Got to do it. The off boost torque is fantastic if you get control of the ignition. Although a lot of work to get there.
Excellent job keeping her between the ditches, cliffs, and guard rails...

Mezzanine

Postby Mezzanine » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:19 pm

Awesome run John! Do most of the competitors run sticky tires for this event? What are you running? That looks like a great event- maybe Dennis and I should plan a road trip for next year?

C

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:14 pm

Most of the racers run full slick or "R" compound DOT tires. I'm running a set of take-off Toyo RA-1's, 225/45-15s.

We are lucky to have to 2 great hillclimbs close by. Bogus is right up the mountian behind me, and Freezeout, in Emmett ID, 20-ish miles away.

Next season, I'm planning on running both these events, plus one or two others in the NHA series. There's a new one in SW Montana one week after Bogus, that I'm going to do, and one other in Oregon.

Maybe we could have a pack of SAABs to attack the hill next year! If we do, I have 2 potential video helpers to make a film next year.

I'm sure I could go faster, but I like the car and I see too often what happens when driver's make one small mistake...
Last edited by 99Super on Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:33 pm

What size rims do you have those tires on?

If it wasnt so far from PA I would come out. Im running mostly events within 2-3 hours drive next year, and maybe doing one in the New England Region. Monster Energy Drink has not called yet, so the budget is still too small to quit my day job and travel around playing with my car.

I had 5 guys that were gonna film from various vantage points, and the only guy that actually showed up couldnt work the camera if his life depended on it. At least my Dad grabbed a good vid or 2.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:54 pm

The wheels I use are either 15x7 0 offset Rikens, or 15x7 33 offset American Racings w/ spacers.

Here's a small compilation from Sunday morning's runs from my buddy Bryce...

http://www.youtube.com/user/BryceJoseph ... -k8tKUbN44

I'm not in there, because I was working the same corner.

Do a search for Bogus Basin Hillclimb or Freezeout Hillclimb for some other good video from these events...

john

Return to “Photos and Video”