SOC 11

Media related to saabs and/or rally
Luke
Site Admin

SOC 11

Postby Luke » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:28 am

Jordan and I crashed the SOC party last weekend and had a pretty great time. I brought the '79 Gli, the rally 99 and jordan brought the too pretty for racing blue hill climber.
I was prompted by the photos that Jon took at the convention to start a thread with some of my favorites...

We set up a Saabrally.com corral. I had the EZ-up and Jordan and I had the race cars parked on either side.

A rat rod '70 99:

Some old motor some guy spent way too much money on:

Bruce: Image

I'm not sure whose car this was but it sounded pretty awesome!

A really nice 96:

This was a factory prepared 96 rally car with all the right bits!

A beautiful 5 door '80 turbo:

Stefans super sweet vintage racer:

formulasaab
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Re: SOC 11

Postby formulasaab » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:22 am

I also dropped in for Saturday. I towed Dad's 1959 Quantum One with my '94 9kA on the homebuilt trailer (with Inca wheels!). The Q1 had never been to a convention before, so I was curious what people would think of it.

I ended up talking to so many people that even though I brought my camera, I never found the time to walk around and take the pictures I wanted but...

Jordan drove past me and I really got a kick out of his car. It was "just right" in my eye. So I clicked off a shot and it became the only picture I took of a non-Hmod vintage racer. I love the clean look of the car, early bumpers and no added trim.

And there's a whole story that goes with this...

So this guy Scott Sidusky brings a curious old bullnose on a curious non-car trailer. We cross paths and chat. Later, I chat with a friend of mine Wally Eriksson, who mentions that he remembers racing against Scott's car back in the early 60's. Not only that, but he remembers the origins of the car!

Apparently, it was a GT750 (SAAB's factory hot-rod in 1959) that was dropped on it's roof while being transported off the boat at the port. Wally wanted to buy it, but ended up missing out to Hal Mayforth who purchased it, cut off the roof, and went racing in H-Mod.

Back then they used to combine D-Sedan and H-Modified sometimes. Wally raced against him in Wally's D-Sedan, but never beat him. Wally said "I cheated so hard to try and beat him!" and even went to the length of installing a 1-liter DKW engine in his SAAB 93 in place of the SAAB 850 (they looked very similar). Wally said he could jump Mayforth at the start and get 15 car lengths, but the next time 'round the little 750 went cruising by on the straight because it seemed to run so well at high RPM.

So, I made sure that Scott and Wally talked to each other. Wally mentions the tracks where he and Mayforth used to run. Lime Rock was one of those tracks.

At this point I get an idea and go looking...
I have a Zerox copy of an SCCA press release in my Quantum One scrapbook. It is from the National races at Lime Rock for June 30th and July 1st, 1961. It has all the results of the races. In the H-Mod race, the Quantum One finished in 1st place. But there in 2nd place was...
Hal Mayforth in his 93B!

So, we set the two cars up next to each other in the parking lot as a "staged" photo showing how they finished in that race almost exactly 50 years ago. One runs, the other not so much. But who knows, in a few years maybe we can recreate the actual race on-track?

-STEFAN
http://at-speed.com
http://photos.at-speed.com
VRG comp# 97
VSCCA comp# 57

Return to “Photos and Video”