Goodbye to an old friend

Media related to saabs and/or rally
DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Re: Goodbye to an old friend

Postby DeLorean » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:22 pm

It does not have to be rusty, there are plenty of non rusty cheap 900's you can pick up. CL / auctioz-zip, / ebay. might take a few weeks, but you can be rolling in another "low rust" 900-t for less than $1000 if you play your cards right.
Less brake more gas!

sjones

Postby sjones » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:57 pm

It could work out to your benefit. If the woman driving is at fault for making an illegal u-turn her insurance company
could 'total' your car. I know non cabs have the lowest value, but you clearly had a lot of work in it. Did you keep your receipts? Ideally it would be great if you could get the car totalled, get a settlement cheque from the insurance company, go shopping and pick out a cherry C900 for $500, transplant as much of your 'upgrades' you made to your C900 to the new C900.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:04 pm

DeLorean wrote:It does not have to be rusty, there are plenty of non rusty cheap 900's you can pick up. CL / auctioz-zip, / ebay. might take a few weeks, but you can be rolling in another "low rust" 900-t for less than $1000 if you play your cards right.

Yeah I know it seems weird, but I'd rather have one thats already had a bit of a hard life for all around driving, that way I don't feel bad about making it worse. I find that with an annual wax-oil treatment and a leaky engine to help the rust proofing they hold up ok. I already have a sweet rust free '79 900 that I drive when ever the weather is nice.

jungletits
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby jungletits » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:21 am

Gotta say I'm with Snakes on this one... '86 5 dr iz whutchu need bro.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:06 pm

sjones wrote:It could work out to your benefit. If the woman driving is at fault for making an illegal u-turn her insurance company
could 'total' your car. I know non cabs have the lowest value, but you clearly had a lot of work in it. Did you keep your receipts? Ideally it would be great if you could get the car totalled, get a settlement cheque from the insurance company, go shopping and pick out a cherry C900 for $500, transplant as much of your 'upgrades' you made to your C900 to the new C900.

Not that easy dealing with the insurance companies. In my experience they have been a PITA . they will offer a $500 total, because they can not find a kbb or anything except a junkyard price. I've tried to negotiate (waive) the $50 they charge for you to but it back. No go, so I said come get it. their response. "It is not worth getting." FU....

Cherry 900c for 5 bills? good luck...
The cost of your time to transfer the parts? What is your time worth? $20/hour is my rate unless I'm learning something new. Either way it suxs.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:48 pm

squaab99t wrote:
sjones wrote:It could work out to your benefit. If the woman driving is at fault for making an illegal u-turn her insurance company

Not that easy dealing with the insurance companies. In my experience they have been a PITA . they will offer a $500 total, because they can not find a kbb or anything except a junkyard price. I've tried to negotiate (waive) the $50 they charge for you to but it back. No go, so I said come get it. their response. "It is not worth getting." FU....

Cherry 900c for 5 bills? good luck...
The cost of your time to transfer the parts? What is your time worth? $20/hour is my rate unless I'm learning something new. Either way it suxs.

Yes, this what I am dealing with now, the adjuster came to check out the car today, confirmed without hestitation that it is a "total".... then couldnt find a value in his system for it, but was able to look up estimated salvage value of $800-1000, meaning that if I want to buy it back for salvage thats what they will deduct from the settlement. So basically unless its value as an actual useful car before that accident comes back more than $1000, I will get zilch if if want to keep the car. Wow, what was the point of even making a claim? I might as well have just sucked it up and moved on found something to start moving parts into.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:43 am

That really sucks.

We should all put effort into insuring our cars at appraised value. It will cost a little more up front, but we wont get screwed by the insurance companies when our cars get wrecked. Lets put our heads together to see what is the best deal.

I know a guy who built a street rod and spent north of 100k to do so. It had 40k worth of body and paint work in it. He got rear ended by a teenage girl in a neon and did 30k in damage to the thing. He got nothing from the insurance companies.

Last I checked the book value on my 86 was like 400 bucks. I know I have a little more than that invested in it. If I got burned like that I would have to wait til the gal in the BMW gets her car fixed, then go do some midnight maneuvers with a quart of paint stripper.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:01 am

Yeah scrap prices are stupid, the guy at the counter in New Ringgold was saying they are paying something crazy like $650 a car now. Whatever you do, don't take their first offer, show em some recent sales on ebay or saabnet, the car should be worth at least $3k, likely more if you play your cards right. Its not gonna be an easy sell, but you should be able to manage to get something out of them if you are willing to spend some time on the phone proving your case.

Paul

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:17 pm

Maybe you want to look at something like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Saab-900 ... 500wt_1182

You could probably sell the airflow kit and come out nearly even...

JeffCullen

Postby JeffCullen » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:48 pm

Painful to see a nice flatnose meet an untimely end :(

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:20 pm

I'm with paulh on this one. When the drunk killed his Hon-duh by hitting Deb's 99, the Ins Co. only wanted to pay like $200. We documented everything and showed similar car's calues and ended up getting $1600 after the $200 fee to keep the car.
Fight the bastards!

john

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:13 pm

Update:

Still fighting with the insurance company to get some money for the car - luckily Pa has pretty clear laws on total loss evaluation - but insurance companies have lots of tricks up their sleeves to avoid paying out! We'll see what happens.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:18 pm

That sucks. Leanne's damage was estimated at about 850 dollars (dented hatch and broken tail light) by the adjuster but we haven't heard form the other drivers insurance company to see what we will actually get or if they are going to consider that "totaled". I think its going to be pretty close.

RobVonSAAB
Nickname: Rob

Postby RobVonSAAB » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:17 am

Hey Luke I feel your pain, I got hit by a Suburban in my 92 900 turbo. Front end hit at around 25 mph. It was totalled but I managed to get 1,600 for the car. They wound up letting me keep it. And when the weather warmed up I was able to bolt in a spare rad support, rad, and hood. The passenger side bumper support was completely rusted out and fell apart from the hit. Its amazing how much rust is invisible and lurking in dark places on these cars. That was a good point you made about the leaky engines helping with rustproofing. I also lay my funnel ontop of the upper a-arms after I fill my trans. Hopefully it helps to keep that area from rusting out as it usually happens on the passenger side. Do you need another rad support? That car is too cool to get crushed as long as the frame isnt bent too badly.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:06 am

Thanks for the offer Rob, I am all for saving these cars whenever it is possible, unfortunatly its bent really badly, the inner wheel well forward of the spring tower is crumpled and pushed to the side so far thats its almost touching the turbo manifold.

Return to “Photos and Video”